Hook length boxes

Dajo

Reaction score
I am just about disciplining myself to tie my pole rigs without hooklengths, and somhave a number of hooklengths in ( my Preston ) hooklengths box , so that a change of hooklengths on the bank doesn't require any shorting changes.
(Hooklengths are all short)
Before, I had hooklengths of all sorts of lengths on the rigs themselves.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Looks like something I could do when the weather isn't behaving. I wonder if one could be made with one removable pin and multiple holes so that different length hooklengths could be made?

Maybe that would have too much play and cause the lengths to vary too much? ?
Small elastic bands are your friend when fitting hooklinks of sizes not quite right into pre made/bought cases I've found.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Small elastic bands are your friend when fitting hooklinks of sizes not quite right into pre made/bought cases I've found.
I used to put those loom bands that kids play with across the tops of the pegs going from one side of hooklength box to the other to hold hooklengths in place.
That was for PI hooklengths in a PI box.
They never fitted perfectly for some reason.
Guru hooklengths fit guru and ringers boxes perfectly.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I used to put those loom bands that kids play with across the tops of the pegs going from one side of hooklength box to the other to hold hooklengths in place.
That was for PI hooklengths in a PI box.
They never fitted perfectly for some reason.
Guru hooklengths fit guru and ringers boxes perfectly.
I think the advent of Guru hooks to nylon elevated the whole concept to something acceptable to anglers who take things seriously?

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Tied my first hooklength and put it in the box. Wasn't as difficult as I thought getting the knot right...or the length.

Somebody at drennan needs a clip around the ear for coming up with that colour! What's wrong with carpy green?

20211208_175123.jpg
20211208_175055.jpg

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Don't know what you're laughing at @markcw! I will have a guru hooklength box and a full stomach before long! ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Tied my first hooklength and put it in the box. Wasn't as difficult as I thought getting the knot right...or the length.

Somebody at drennan needs a clip around the ear for coming up with that colour! What's wrong with carpy green?

View attachment 18465View attachment 18466

Totally agree with you (as ever, lol). That turquoise, aquamarine, whatever....... Drennan put a slash of this on their new rods, and if I ever bought one, I'd have to spray or tape over it. I guess other brands have run off with the good colours. Subtle as a Faberge egg.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Ahh but you bought a Drennan one,
With the Guru one which incidentally is not Carpy green , you get little stickers to put in with hooklength details you have written on .
Aha but if you get the pre tied Drennan hooks to nylon, they come with pre printed little vinyl stickers that fit neatly into the Drennan (or Guru) box.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Ahh but you bought a Drennan one,
With the Guru one which incidentally is not Carpy green , you get little stickers to put in with hooklength details you have written on .
You get little stickers with the Drennan box too. A wast of time as they will peel off. they would look ugly too. I will print them with my label maker ?

peytr

Reaction score
Wasn't as difficult as I thought getting the knot right...or the length
It's been quite a few years since starting to tie my own lengths and it surprised me how little loss there is from getting the wrong length. Even when switching from hand made loops/length gauge to a loop tyer there was no problem.

If there is a problem here, too short is the most likely. With very thin Nylon one can stretch the length too much. You can still fit these on the standard pins but I don't like the permanent stretching so discard these.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
It's been quite a few years since starting to tie my own lengths and it surprised me how little loss there is from getting the wrong length. Even when switching from hand made loops/length gauge to a loop tyer there was no problem.

If there is a problem here, too short is the most likely. With very thin Nylon one can stretch the length too much. You can still fit these on the standard pins but I don't like the permanent stretching so discard these.
I just put the hook on the pin, looped the line around the other pin then pulled about 2-3mm off the tag end before tieing the loop. Worked fine.

I will pick up a loop tyer, hook tyer and smaller hooks today and give them a go.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I just put the hook on the pin, looped the line around the other pin then pulled about 2-3mm off the tag end before tieing the loop. Worked fine.

I will pick up a loop tyer, hook tyer and smaller hooks today and give them a go.
I tie my loops by hand but use a loop sizer to make them consistent in size. For very short hooklength loops,3 or 2 inches, i use a gated needle. John Arthur has a very good video on this on YouTube.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I tie my loops by hand but use a loop sizer to make them consistent in size. For very short hooklength loops,3 or 2 inches, i use a gated needle. John Arthur has a very good video on this on YouTube.
I think I watched it this morning. Did he use a little green esp splicing needle? I have been doing it for a while with my carp rigs.

I have just been and bought a hook tyer and a loop tyer. Just getting the hang of them.