Hook lengths

mikench

Reaction score
I have freely admitted that making my own hooklengths isn’t something I enjoy doing or have any competence in. I’m fine with longer hooklengths say 12” or so and longer and where an exact length isn’t an indictable offence. I can make hair rigs using eyed hooks and a loop tyer even on the bank. However trying to make say a dozen or more short hooklengths which fit perfectly into a hook length box is beyond me. I have a variety of hook length boxes including the guru ones kindly given to me by Chrissh which were full of beautifully tied hook lengths. As I have used then I have added my own and a blind man could tell who tied which.

i usually buy hooks/ hair rigs to nylon for most of my fishing particularly 4” hook lengths for my method fishing . I bought some 6” hook lengths of various sizes from a 12 to an 18 using fluorocarbon for my helicopter rigs and as recommended by Dave Coster on here. The hooks are all B511 if I recall. When Gary( Rayner) recommended trying shorter hook lengths of 2 or 3” for the method I couldn’t source any and ready made and knew making them was beyond me.
I turned to Martin of Prohooks and purchased 30 3” hook lengths using Guru QM1 hooks in size 12 . I requested 10 with bait bands, 10 with bait stops and 10 with plain hairs. Martin admitted he didn’t ties 2” hook lengths. They arrived this morning in a PI magnetic box delivered for £26 which is great value in my book. Martin tells you when you can expect them, will cater for your preferred hooks and diameter of the hook length mono and you can choose your preferred box. He has never let me down and neither have his rigs.

78E0FB02-1A50-4D42-84B4-41C6B90026D9.jpeg

For those who are like me with hook lengths and who want something different to the norm I can highly recommend Prohooks. I have no connection with Martin other than as a satisfied customer.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I'm baffled (others have said the same) as you tie the hook first (with hair or not - it doesn't matter) then place hook in box, straighten out line to the next/upper pin etc for length , take it back around to double the line up, lift off and tie loop. It is so, so simple. Same every time.

mikench

Reaction score
Digging flower beds, trimming hedges, driving an M5 around the Nurburgring are all similarly simple if so inclined. I have neither the time nor the inclination. I reckon quite a few might struggle with 3” hook lengths. Making hook lengths isn’t something I want to devote time to ever.