Hook sharpening....

Andydj

Reaction score
I watched a video on you tube by Adam Penning,a guy who I find good at explaining his ideas,now this video was about his gear,in amongst it he explained the importance he gave to sharpening hooks,he has a Jag hook sharpening kit,he explained,showing you how how went about it,with before and after photos,because I worked in engineering the mechanics side of it was more than simple to understand,what was off was the fact that after a take,the hook point basically buckled nine times out of ten,requiring a new hook after every fish,your views please?
I believe this subject has been done to death in the Angling media.
It is very hard to buy a hook today that is blunt ,(remember goldstrikes?!)
Everytime I open a packet of hooks today I marvel at the quality and how sharp they pretty much all are.
Whilst I will touch up a point with a quick stroke from a fine stone I believe that more hooks are ruined by this industrial sharpening than are ever improved.
Let me put it this way, if the point sticks in my nail it is sharp. End of.
Wholesale removal of the metal around the hook point can lead to the following problems:
1. Oxidation when left for any length of time in water. This actually makes the hook more blunt than before you sharpened it!
2. Greater risk of the point turning over when on the bottom either when sucked in by a fish or when sucked and blown around by fish or due to movement caused by current.
3. Greater damage to a fishes mouth when hooked. A long very thin point can cut the mouth tissue. I once used a Nash Fang hook which had a ridiculously long thin point. The first fish I caught on it had its mouth badly torn by the hook. Never again!
4. A bigger chance of losing a fish when playing it. Ritchie Macdonald refused to use a chemically sharpened hook because he believed it could cut its way out of the fish. I think he was right!

I don't doubt that you may possibly prick one or two extra fish but equally this will be offset by the points I have outlined above.

Reaction score
Have you watched Adam Penning's video Andy,it goes into great detail how he does it and the reasons behind it,not saying whether it is right or wrong,but chemically sharpened hooks vary,because they are produced in their thousands...

RMNDIL

Reaction score
It is very hard to buy a hook today that is blunt ,(remember goldstrikes?!)

Remember them well. Used to paint them white and use for hemp when bagging. You could push the hook point in and through the side flat of the hemp easily. No needles needed. Heavy hook by todays standards. Thereafter switched to Mustad 515N

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Have you watched Adam Penning's video Andy,it goes into great detail how he does it and the reasons behind it,not saying whether it is right or wrong,but chemically sharpened hooks vary,because they are produced in their thousands...
They vary by design and point ratio and because they are produced in their millions. The description Chemically 'Sharpened', although often used, is actually very misleading. A bit of a myth. They are Chemically Etched. This is to remove the imperfections caused by the point grinding process (rotationally like needles) and to allow better adhesion of coatings.

Adam writes and makes good stuff. I'm not a specimen carp angler but I can read Adam's stuff and find it both educational and enjoyable.

Reaction score
I remember goldstrikes and French carp hooks that I cannot spell,as has been said earlier,anglers who strike their bites don't need super sharp hooks,self hooking rigs where you get ten bites a season or less,then it might be a help... :)

Andydj

Reaction score
They vary by design and point ratio and because they are produced in their millions. The description Chemically 'Sharpened', although often used, is actually very misleading. A bit of a myth. They are Chemically Etched. This is to remove the imperfections caused by the point grinding process (rotationally like needles) and to allow better adhesion of coatings.

Adam writes and makes good stuff. I'm not a specimen carp angler but I can read Adam's stuff and find it both educational and enjoyable.
No I haven't I must admit. No doubt about it. Mr. Penning is a top drawer angler.
I have done a lot of Carp fishing. I seem to do alright without going to those lengths.
I know all about the reasoning behind it but when you talk to guys that have been doing it for a long time (nearly 50 years in my case) many have similar views to mine. Ian Chilcott (Chilly) is the most high profile angler I can think of that shares my view.
Only a fool fishes with a blunt hook but I believe I have outlined my feelings about my aversion to over sharpening.
It is those really long thin points I object to.
I still say they can make a mess of a fishes mouth. Also, you wouldn't want a point like that for Pike and I certainly wouldn't want one for Chub or Barbel either.
All down to personal preference and your own personal experience I guess.
Thanks for coming back to me.
?

Reaction score
Wouldn't disagree Andy,how Penning sees the physics of it are interesting,and from a personal perspective working with metal all my life,I could relate to his theories....

John Aston

Reaction score
I remember goldstrikes and French carp hooks that I cannot spell,as has been said earlier,anglers who strike their bites don't need super sharp hooks,self hooking rigs where you get ten bites a season or less,then it might be a help... :)
Au Lion D'Or ? Un tres bon hamecon .