hooking hard pellets

blankmeister

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I read (on here I think) about a method of attaching hard pellets using pieces of nylon stocking stuck on with superglue. It seemed to be a popular method on the match circuit at the time. I tried it and found it quite difficult to get them to stick,( perhaps it was the cheapskate glue I was using:rolleyes:). The ones that did stick seemed to work quite well, and in principle is a brilliant idea. Has anyone else tried it, or is banded pellet easier and as successful.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
And why go to all that trouble when you band the pellet to the hook, quick and clean. I really don't know why anglers complicate things, remember the wise words - "keep it simple".

quickcedo

Reaction score
Why not try wrapping the hard pellt in the stockings. Just place the pellet into a piece, then twist until tight. Using a piece of dental floss to tie off. You can then either nick the hook into the stocking material or use the tag end of the floss to tie to hook bend (hair) I have been using this method for a few years now except I now use it for paste more. The advantage of using pellet is this can be done at home.
This provides an excellent presentaion and once wet is almost completely invissible.

blankmeister

Reaction score
Why not try wrapping the hard pellt in the stockings. Just place the pellet into a piece, then twist until tight. Using a piece of dental floss to tie off. You can then either nick the hook into the stocking material or use the tag end of the floss to tie to hook bend (hair) I have been using this method for a few years now except I now use it for paste more. The advantage of using pellet is this can be done at home.
This provides an excellent presentaion and once wet is almost completely invissible.

Sounds good Mark. Do you think it's best to take the stockings off first, or am I just being old fashioned?

quickcedo

Reaction score
No mate leave them on and create your own fish net. Then if you're not catching you have a ready made cast net. Two birds one stone, bargain!
I get some very funny looks from anglers who see me using tights to wrap my baits. Strange how there opinion changes when they see the result.
I've said this before on another thread but, always use new ones as ones that have been laundered don't work for obvious reasons.
When I first started using them I was concerned about fish ingesting bits of nylon. Tests have proved this does not occur. What happens is when the fish bite on the bait the bag bursts open and the piece of nylon is ejected.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Bait tech pre drilled halibut pellets are excellent fish catchers .

If you soak them carefully in (if you can get it ) TIGERNUT & MAPLE FLAVOUR GLUG DIP then tip with a small plastic sweetcorn amazing results guaranteed on every water that contains carp or bream but don't over soak and they only last maxim 15 minutes on the hair .

This method works best on a 2" hook length to a flat bed method feeder.

I can't see the point of buying un-drilled halibut's now .

Last edited:

blankmeister

Reaction score
Come to think of it, we used to use nylon stocking bags sea fishing using mussels that were too small or soft for hooking. We'd make a few up and freeze them. Definitely caught doggies on it. Just goes to show, there's nothing new, it's all been done before:rolleyes:

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Never felt confident of bands on a bigger river. It doesn't have to be proven - I just can't do it confidently - that elastic band method is well worth a look, line a load up, glue em, let it dry then cut to size, hooking thru the lassy band. When my 12mm CC Moore boilies dry up, I might give it a go!!! Pre-drilled, tried em, they break. 'Hali-hhoker' - they fall off the hook and hair.

cg74

Reaction score
Why not use a knotless knot and glue you pellet(s)to the hair?

An alternative would be to glue pellet(s) to a piece of elastic band.

Bloody barbel anglers and supergluing pellets, eh Fred, not going 5 pages on here are we??:eek:

Just use bait bands either attatched to the hook's shank, bend or tie them to the end of your hair, simplicity personified!:cool:

Keith Jobling

Reaction score
I've been lassoing pellets this year as I occasionally snap bait bands with my fat fingers and split pellets when I drill them.

To explain the lasso: tie a three turn grinner knot in your hook length then tighten the knot around a pellet. Tie your hook length onto the hook with a knotless knot. When the pellet needs replacing the loop can be widened, a new pellet slid in and the noose tightened again.

I find I waste less precious fishing time like this.

Peter Morton

Reaction score
Gardner 3·2mm bait bands.....
Latex_Bait_Bands.jpg

and a Mosella BandaBait tool or similar and the job's a good un......
Mosellapelletbander.jpg

no problems banding pellets from 4mm-11m either straight onto the hook or onto a hair rigged band.:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yep - and the mosella tiny bands stretch to take 8mm pellets easily too. If you lose the Banding tool (as I keep doing in the dark) a pair of forcepts are the next best thing. All used with the Smiffrig of course! :)

blankmeister

Reaction score
What a brilliant and simple idea the Smiffrig is. . I usually swap between hook and band during a session and although hooking onto or through the band seems to work I always feel a short hair would present the bait better. Having spent the first hour of the session getting everything just right the last thing I want to do is change the hook length (I never manage to tie them exactly the same length). What I'll probably do is make a few up and get one of those Mosella thingies especially as the weather gets colder and fingers get a bit numb:eek:
That's what I like about fishing, there's always something new, and often simple:)

tortoise100

Reaction score
Pre- drilled only break if your baiting needle is to big as most are ,as soon as you get one the right size it's not a problem well maybe one in 10 or so if the hole is not formed straight through.
I used to run my baiting drill through them when I had a bigger baiting needle oh and the korum Invisi Stop's are amazing for pellets .