Hoping to get back into fishing - Budget equipment help!

EllCrabb

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to have a read of this.

I used to fish with my dad a lot when I was a kid (mind I’m only 19 now). It was something we did to get space from home, to bond and to just appreciate the outdoors

My family got covid a few months back and my dad wasn’t strong enough to fight it so we sadly lost him. I’m looking to get back into fishing as a time to remember him and to look after my mental state.

Do any of you have any recommendations for budget routes into fishing again? We used to go river, sea and carp fishing but I’m just looking for the cheapest way I suppose.

Thank you in advance!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Ell, and Welcome to Fishingmagic.

Firstly condolences on the loss of your Dad.

As to inexpensive kit take a look on here at some of the "budget rods and reels" threads, and good luck.

mikench

Reaction score
I echo Peter' s sentiments and welcome. As you will never end up with just one rod, unless the bug doesn't bite, decide on your preferred initial method say float fishing on lakes, and buy a decent s/h rod and reel to suit. A 13' rod is perhaps the most versatile. You can then move on the feeder fishing with either the same reel or one best suited to the type of fishing and venue you choose. Longer rods for bigger waters and bigger reel with more line capacity if you want to cast a heavy feeder a long way. Sea fishing is a different ball game . Didn't your dad keep some of his Tackle?

I would go the float route first as it is so versatile.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Buy yourself a 4 metre whip, a couple of pre tied pole rigs, the Drennan AS3 are excellent, get some pre tied hook lengths a plummet and some bait and get on a pond or a lake somewhere.
Cheap and cheerful and can be great fun.

nottskev

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd google local fisheries, maybe ask in a local tackle shop, and go and look at a couple of places and have a walk around. When you find a place or two you think you'd like, that could be your go-to places, then start thinking what gear would be a good starter kit. It's easier to choose equipment if you have a sense of where you plan to use it, and what you'll be trying to catch.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. As others have said, decide your preferred starting style before parting with the readies. Bear in mind though that the Autumn and winter will be shortly upon us and those bites that come easily in the Summer become harder to find.

Perhaps the most economical way of getting a few bites until the weather warms next Spring would be with a light lure rod and a few plastic soft lures.
I am thinking canals here if you have one within reach.
You would need just one lure rod (used to be called spinning rods) a couple of wire traces and some soft lure ( cheap as chips) a landing net, forcepts etc.

Great fun with minimal tackle.