Hopkins Spoons have caught carp in tidal creeks

spoonminnow

Reaction score
hopkins.jpg

Years ago a buddy and I were fishing 3/4 - 1oz. Hopkins spoons in a tidal creek as the tide was near peak and flowing out. We caught carp ranging in size from 3 - 8 lbs., 10 in all from a large school. We cast our spoons (hoping for striped bass) long distance across the width of the creek, let the spoons drop and giving the lure their action using rod tip twitches. Note: the lure design with imparted twitches create a flashing wobble either horizontally or vertically.

The following year in early spring, I was fishing another tidal creek that empties into the same river and caught a 10 lb carp vertical jigging the spoon in 8'. The spoons had white hair attached to the treble hooks or bare hooks - no other trailer was used such as live bait.

Just curious if anyone has used spoons to catch the various species where you fish.

S63 mentioned using a Toby Spoon which is much lighter. I bet it would work well in ponds and lakes as well as the Johnson Silver Minnow.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I have caught what are considered non predator fish including carp, Rudd, Rudd plenty of Chub on lures. Roach and Rudd on smaller baits, chub on all sorts of lures, carp on spoons but lost count how many carp I have now caught on live and dead bait over the years.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
I have caught what are considered non predator fish including carp, Rudd, Rudd plenty of Chub on lures. Roach and Rudd on smaller baits, chub on all sorts of lures, carp on spoons but lost count how many carp I have now caught on live and dead bait over the years.
Funny how few realize the variety of fish species that will bite lures - especially soft plastics rigged on light jig heads.