Hot Weather...

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well a few days back I went out in the afternoon to fish and the hottest day of the year so far appeared, I was roasted. I think I am going to avoid these overly hot days, I was pickled within 3 hours and suffered a very slight heatstroke. From now on cool to warm is my fishing formula. On another note, I am definitely not going to stop fishing once the cold weather starts, I have been a seasonal angler up until now avoiding the cold weather. Anyone had the experience of winter fishing and would like to add some tips and advice. I keep hearing all over the net that winter fishing is not really good, anyone know any different because a cold day wrapped up well sounds appealing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Winter fishing can be the best, particularly if you fish rivers. Dispersed all over in the summer, fish congregate in winter quarters and, if you know where they go, catches can be better than in summer, without all the foliage on the bank and weed in the river. Shallow stillwaters can be badly affected by cold weather, but deeper ones can be good. Commercial ponds with big fish stocks can be good all year, if you adopt a more cautious winter approach. Some species are more active in winter, like roach, dace and chub in rivers or roach and perch in stillwaters. Outdoor gear is so good these days that keeping warm isn't a big problem. But getting in the right locations is. There should be no shortage of options in Boston. Look to see where people fish in the winter. Ask in your tackle shops. Ask anglers you bump into. Fish near other people and you can be confident you're in the right kind of place and you can see how they are going about it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would have a brolly over me if I was fishing in this and a lot of drinks. Winter fishing is good, its not all freezing weather, about 10c+ is my cut off point and it is often at least that during October to April some of the time. It doesn't have be put the rods away all the winter. 10c suits me, I don't like having to wrap up in loads of gear but 10c I can protect myself without having to overdo it. I dislike the wind and rain more, but a calm dry day in the winter and 10c+ and some good fish, very nice.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If taking cold drinks on a hot day, put them in the freezer the night before,
You will have ready made "ice packs" to drink as they start to thaw, plus they will keep bait plus lunch cool.
I have one wrapped in tea towel in insulated bait bag and another in insulated food bag, At the end of the day you are just taking empty bottles back.
Always put a brolly up where possible or at least use a hat and cover exposed flesh with suncream.

Andydj

Reaction score
Well a few days back I went out in the afternoon to fish and the hottest day of the year so far appeared, I was roasted. I think I am going to avoid these overly hot days, I was pickled within 3 hours and suffered a very slight heatstroke. From now on cool to warm is my fishing formula. On another note, I am definitely not going to stop fishing once the cold weather starts, I have been a seasonal angler up until now avoiding the cold weather. Anyone had the experience of winter fishing and would like to add some tips and advice. I keep hearing all over the net that winter fishing is not really good, anyone know any different because a cold day wrapped up well sounds appealing.
I know what you mean. It Is just too hot. Most of my fishing involves an hour in the car which makes it an endurance test. If I lived nearer I would just fish for 2 hours at dawn and dusk.
I love my winter fishing. I just wish it didn't rain so much which means the rivers are unfishable much of the time.
There is something about winter fishing. It has a charm and atmosphere all of its own. It is quieter and the fish are fat the colours more vivid (floodwater aside). Give it a go!

Reaction score
I love winter fishing,for several reasons,one being that in the main less anglers get out,rivers are often in good condition,less bait is required,the best options being less(maggot,casters,bread etc),add that to the satisfaction of a good catch in shorter daylight hours,lovely...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I love winter fishing,for several reasons,one being that in the main less anglers get out,rivers are often in good condition,less bait is required,the best options being less(maggot,casters,bread etc),add that to the satisfaction of a good catch in shorter daylight hours,lovely...
Same here, but I fish the canals, less boats if any, no swimmers, and have to pit your wits against the fish in clearer water,depending on what canal you fish.
The Llangollen canal can be like tap water in stretches yet couple of miles away the Shroppie is still the colour of coffee. Oxford canal is a mixture of clear down the margins, it's that clear on various stretches you can see the far side margin.