How big would you say this fish was

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Wow I just noticed that my beard is now pure white rather than just a hint of grey , must be another trick of the sunlight.

murv

Reaction score
It's an effect of the sun reflecting off the water.
In a lot of my pictures I appear to have a lot of Grey hairs showing through, it's the same thing...

(Carp looks a lot bigger in that picture)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
It's an effect of the sun reflecting off the water.
In a lot of my pictures I appear to have a lot of Grey hairs showing through, it's the same thing...

(Carp looks a lot bigger in that picture)

Ha Ha I went grey when I was sixteen so it never bothered me till I got to 40 and until some young girl said after you when I was getting on the bus.

As for the picture , yes that's a little bit more like it - though the tail is still curved as you can tell by the scale pattern and ... the curved tail.

I wish I had taken a proper photo but frankly I have seen so many deformed carp that look like they have been dropped that I don't do it.

However if it had been lip hooked I would have probably given it a go.

B

Berty

Well I will the implication is that I am some sort of Idiot, which I am not.

I was not implying that you were and idiot......but i am implying that the fish, imo, aint anywhere near the original weight stated!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was not implying that you were and idiot......but i am implying that the fish, imo, aint anywhere near the original weight stated!

Ok no probs, my point was if I posted the original photo and said I think this fish is 15lb thats not massively bright.

If i posted a pic and said I think this fish looks 3lb but in reality it was much bigger thats is different.

I found a second photo i would be interested in your views, I am not trying to prove the weight of the fish , to who ? That would be pointless, but I think the two views illustrate my point.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Benny,
you've just discovered why it's best not to post fishy pics and best not to give an estimate on how big a fish in a pic might be. Either way, you are onto a hiding to nothing.;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3143-carp-whiteacres.jpg

bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3171-otherview.jpg

Hi Sam I just thought it interesting that from the wrong angle you can completely change the look of a fish.

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Benny,
you've just discovered why it's best not to post fishy pics and best not to give an estimate on how big a fish in a pic might be. Either way, you are onto a hiding to nothing.;)

Indeed.

Remember the pic of the chub last year that caused a ton of arguments? I seem to remember some people going strangely quiet after it turned out there had been several witnesses to its weight.

chav professor

Reaction score
This pic is the classic banana fingers - but in reverse! You know, the angler who holds aloft his trophy arms out stretched to make an average sized fish look far more impressive.

IMO, the fish looks smaller than its actual size due to an almost optical illusion - your brain sees what it expects to see. As the 'thumb' is in the field of reference, your brain sees the fish smaller than it actually is. It could well indeed be every ounce of 15lb!!!

This effect is exaggerated further as the fish is not shown full length as it sits in the fold of the net.

I had to suffer years of disappointment with photography, my 36 exposure film deposited to the chemist to be sent away to a distant lab - life stood still until the day arrived to pick up the images of leviathans slain.... only to be met repeatedly by disapointment..... my 12lb pike looking like a sardine due to the photographic skill of a kindly passing dog walker, insistent that he should include a bit of 'background'....... I wanted a portrait..... not a f***ing landscape:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am only grateful for the joys that digital photography brings! instant editing, instant quality and focus checking, as many goes as it takes to get it right - free!.... the only issue I have these days is that I have a digital SLR..... most people instinctively hold the camera at arms length expecting an image to appear in the screen...... with the advances of technology, humans have now lost the skills to use a traditional view finder:D

A little tip to all you budding trophy taking fisherman..... decide on a pose and settle on it! I squat down, rest my elbows on my knees for support have my arms almost parallel to the ground. It is almost an instinct to have the fish tilting back towards the body.... in the case of a lively fish, most anglers feel they can at least catch it if it flips. I tend to find if held confidently, fish are happiest held upright, so accounting for this I try and overcome my fears and tilt the fish forward slightly..... they sit quite content long enough for a few snaps!

If you use the same pose each time, it creates a proportionality to all your future snaps and they will look like the stated size as you expect to visualize them in a photograph.

Another weird thing.... come june 16th and I start catching chub again.... I often weigh fish expecting the needle to pass the 4lb mark only to be dissapointed. It takes a few weeks to get my eye back in again.

Interesting post!!!!