How deep?

P

paul williams

A recent thread from Denis Goulding really got me thinking,the water he was talking about went down to 170+ft.The deepest i have caught fish (UK) is at a depth of 30ft, how deep have you caught at?

C

Carp Angler

I fished a well known lake in France many years ago and my first cast was for leading about, so i cast out about 80 yards and started to count down the lead (no marker floats in them days).
Well, I lost count, i've only got 11 figers and 9 toes, so i can only count to 17...
The result was that at 80 yards the line was pointing almost vertically down from the rod tip.....
Totally blew my mind, so i packed up and went and fished a river instead.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Whilst trolling with a down rigger on Loch Awe I regularly took Pike at 50'.Despite all the "experts" of my time insisting we stuck to the 30' contour!In all fairness these were taken whilst fishing for Ferox trout.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I used to pike fish a particularly deep Cheshire mere where we regularly trolled for them at depths up to 42ft. Many times the deepest water was the only place we could get a take, and not necessarily when the water temperature was at its coldest.

The pike varied in size from jacks of around 5lb, through doubles, to over 20lb.

The pike never appeared to suffer any ill effects from being caught at these depths. In fact the only fish I know that really suffer following being caught from water deeper than about 20ft are perch who can have their swim bladders protruding from their mouths. But usually only when you bring them up too quickly.

D

DENIS GOULDING

I was out in the midlands again this week and had a coupkle of pike no doubles again,the biggest was just 7,but i caught the fish in 30-35' of water,using large spoons,i thought i could get bigger pike deeper down,but again only jacks hit the lures...

P

paul williams

We'll blame the weather shall we Denis? coz i did even worse trying to catch Zander on the Severn!! a cold snap will send em scurrying for the depths?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Caught any zander on the Severn lately Brummie?