How did you get on?

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Went up to Oakfield fishery, outside Aylesbury today. Had some jobs to do early doors, so this was about half 12. Got there - it was rammed!

Sod that, headed bacl to Lakeside again.....

Setup using a big cage feeder with some corn on the hook and in the cage, had a take within 15 minutes!

Landed it and reset - boom, another good take..... both fish were the same as the the pic -but IM not sure what it is? I thought Bream, but now Im not so sure ?

They both fought harder than a Brean usually does.....

Anyways, an hour later, another smaller silvery Bream and then I couldnt buy a bite.....

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 177

xenon

Reaction score
Went up to Oakfield fishery, outside Aylesbury today. Had some jobs to do early doors, so this was about half 12. Got there - it was rammed!

Sod that, headed bacl to Lakeside again.....

Setup using a big cage feeder with some corn on the hook and in the cage, had a take within 15 minutes!

Landed it and reset - boom, another good take..... both fish were the same as the the pic -but IM not sure what it is? I thought Bream, but now Im not so sure ?

They both fought harder than a Brean usually does.....

Anyways, an hour later, another smaller silvery Bream and then I couldnt buy a bite.....

Judging by the stubby tail and mouth and scales-Bream/ Crucian hybrid? (assuming that is even a thing)

mikench

Reaction score
The new format looks good and I'm sure it will be a big improvement. The last fishing trip I had before lockdown was with Gordon on the 20/03/20 to a picturesque water on a club card. We struggled or I did. This is now.

IMG_6766.JPG

It was very weedy and full of that hideous fluff from willows. Gordon was in two minds at 5.30 to go elsewhere. We gave it a go and I immediately raked my swim. It was like painting the Forth road bridge and I stopped after 20 Minutes of effort . I elected to feeder fish with a small 15g open feeder filled with a dry mix of gb, a 15" to 2' hooklength and a size 16 hook with 2 red maggots. I was after tench or roach and not carp. My theory was( see my other post about weed tactics) for the light feeder to be close to the top of the weed and my hooklength and bait to also be on top. It produced one bite from a passing carp which snapped me off .

I then resorted to float fishing both close in and afar where the weed wasn't on the surface at least. The water is shallow, 3.5" at best and was at least 1" lower than normal. I caught 9 roach to 6-8 oz over the next few hours whilst we slowly cooked in the warm sunshine. Gordon then raked his swim and had a similar number. The 8 or so other anglers, who had clearly never heard of social distancing really struggled and their carp tactics producing nothing. We packed up about 2.00 as it had gone dead and we were frazzled. We had a laugh though about a variety of things political and not so and Gordon is always good company. Maybe next time will be better.

Several others turned up but were put off by the weedad fluff and went elsewhere.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apart from the scummy surface that looks a lovely spot Mike.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike....two red maggots....come on bud :rolleyes:.

One thing you should always do in a weedy venue is fish a heavier set up ;).

mikench

Reaction score
I won't highjack the thread as I posted on the issue separately and we are now in a PC era but without the P. It is a lovely spot John but difficult or that's my excuse at any rate.

seth49

Reaction score
DA25AE6F-608D-494F-AB93-27ED9CE36D30.jpeg
Clear sunny day at the fishery yesterday, I was in the shade from nine o clock so it was pleasant, it was very hot out in the sun, mick packed up early as he had no shade, he left at 12.30.
After carp today on method feeder and wafter hook baits, I was in a good swim but they weren’t really interested, they spawned last week but were just cruising around in the sun.
Did get two plus a bream, and lost another, but it was slow going, here’s one of the carp, the other was the same.
3AEF9E06-1390-4800-A5CB-D3C31EBED197.jpeg

Nice to be out although it was busy, every available peg taken.
DA25AE6F-608D-494F-AB93-27ED9CE36D30.jpeg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’m fishing a club lake today. It’s a pretty place. I’ve not done too bad really, proper mixed bag float fishing. Roach, Rudd, tench, crucians, perch and ide. Most were caught on bits of peeled prawn. A bonus was that they were all caught on homemade floats.

318952709cb0d574759f8d39e98cbc0a.jpg

11aced1d005ac8dcd9d9d7378ccf15ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paste paul

Reaction score
Went to my local semi commercial..... by that I mean it’s a natural water and has a stream runs through it but they have stocked it with f1 at some point in its history......
Anyway
9196B7EF-A65F-4D9B-A82A-34A9910DE361.jpeg

I had about 20 fish ....... roach..... skimmers..... f1
Enjoyed my couple of hours there
475DE542-22D5-4E36-B3E8-B593F80F7C9C.jpeg

For some reason the waters always clear but there are plenty of fish in there......
53E9B029-56F0-4D2C-8875-66206FCF1A09.jpeg

Sorry about the magic upside down skimmer
?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I won't highjack the thread as I posted on the issue separately and we are now in a PC era but without the P. It is a lovely spot John but difficult or that's my excuse at any rate.

It's just very temperature sensitive Mike. Much above a day high of 22 and it goes to sleep. Still enjoyed the day despite the weed and heat.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm still fishing most evenings, still knocking out a tench or two. No silverfish bycatch and no rogue carp. The only fish other than twenty seven tench has been an eel getting on for two pounds.

Tonight's effort was hard won. I've never seen them fizz as much on this venue, but I couldn't buy a bite until I swapped over to a size 18 hook on the rod I'd intended to try and catch some silvers with. 6lb 3oz that came in very meekly.
(27) 6lb 3oz.JPG

tommos16

Reaction score
Hi mate

Nice fish, definitely a carp.

I’ve fished Claremont a bit and it can be a bit temperamental, you can be catching well then it goes stone dead. Not far from there is Yew Tree fishery, in Thornton Hough. This is a far better fishery, very well stocked and run. There are 2 lakes. The smaller lake is stuffed with fish of the size of the one in your picture and bites are almost guaranteed. The bigger lake is also well stocked and slightly harder but has bigger fish.

If you plan on going let me know and I’ll help with tactics.
I've just spotted this sorry Golden Eagle but thanks! I'll drop you a message when the time comes, I enjoy fishing on the peninsula!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arrived at the estate a little later than the last two trips getting there at 8am, big mistake. I had one of those horrendous hours where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, tangles, birds nests, hooks finding nets, shoe laces, you name it. During this time I lost two good fish, had to be tench which have eluded me so far this season.

Finally got myself sorted, had a cuppa and settled into a rhythm. Tried another of my new acquisitions today, a Greys Torean tactical float rod that has been praised by a few FM members here.

CB23C6A6-C948-4622-AFCE-043F66461B93.jpeg

Didn't wait long to christen it and finally caught my first golden tench.

B78CF459-6E1E-49B3-87AA-76C43478A069.jpeg

Things went quiet then, I must have arrived just as they were finishing their morning feed.

A couple of quiet hours passed and then a shoal of decent sized roach moved in and kept me busy for a while, best going to a pound.

328F50AE-E253-45CD-9716-2AB922E2AB78.jpeg

Packed up at 2pm and went home feeling quite pleased with my mornings fishing but that all paled into insignificance when I read of the horrific and tragic death of an angler who confronted poachers and was “allegedly” stoned to death. The guy was Charles Hilder, he was Chas to me, we were apprentices together some fifty years ago at Plessey Telecoms and we went fishing together a couple of times. A great character, a very quiet and helpful person, liked by everybody, so sad.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Arrived at the estate a little later than the last two trips getting there at 8am, big mistake. I had one of those horrendous hours where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, tangles, birds nests, hooks finding nets, shoe laces, you name it. During this time I lost two good fish, had to be tench which have eluded me so far this season.

Finally got myself sorted, had a cuppa and settled into a rhythm. Tried another of my new acquisitions today, a Greys Torean tactical float rod that has been praised by a few FM members here.

View attachment 9151

Didn't wait long to christen it and finally caught my first golden tench.

View attachment 9152

Things went quiet then, I must have arrived just as they were finishing their morning feed.

A couple of quiet hours passed and then a shoal of decent sized roach moved in and kept me busy for a while, best going to a pound.

View attachment 9154

Packed up at 2pm and went home feeling quite pleased with my mornings fishing but that all paled into insignificance when I read of the horrific and tragic death of an angler who confronted poachers and was “allegedly” stoned to death. The guy was Charles Hilder, he was Chas to me, we were apprentices together some fifty years ago at Plessey Telecoms and we went fishing together a couple of times. A great character, a very quiet and helpful person, liked by everybody, so sad.

Sad about the angler being killed. I was not that far away fishing near Bough Beech at the time of the incident. Strange that I started a thread about trouble when fishing just a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
88-CA1-D9-C-FF74-407-D-AD35-A7-DF37-A814-CD.jpg

Another go on the pit this morning with a keen easterly blowing towards me and the weekend skiers out in force.
First to find my banded 8mm pellet and method feeder with gb was a bream, this was followed by another on the other rod, this one took maggots.

32-CFC01-D-3190-4291-BA93-0-DCDE057-F935.jpg

Next up a tench, closely followed by another bigger one around 7lb..

13-FC501-F-A230-42-E2-8-FD3-142-C6418518-B.jpg

I packed up after that as my landing net had a big hole in it which you can see in the pic...

ian g

Reaction score
Fished a club water last night , I arrived at 3.45 but soon found I'd left my ruck bag at home . Must admit I thought I was travelling light when I packed the car . Luckily I met my lad who brought my bag half way. I fished the end peg which is usually a decent peg . I'd chatted to the 4 other guys fishing on the way to my peg , nothing much doing . I fished a pole float on my float road and pin . I tried meat, corn , paste and maggots . I had a few small roach on maggots and a couple of bites on paste and corn . Swapped to meat and started to get sail away bite all of which I missed , small roach again I think. In finally had a decent dip and disappear bite on meat and had an epic struggle with a tench , fishing a bit light and not wanting to loose it I took my time , the tench went 4 lb 2 oz and that was that fish wise . No one else catching so I was content with my lot.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished the canal near Tring this morning, f a good few fellow club members there too.

CC57-AC8-A-FBA1-4305-984-A-76-F17-D9-A54-F8.jpg

Fished punch on a light waggler for the first hour before switching to flouro pinkies. Skimmers mainly, followed by some roach, gudgeon and perch.
It was stinking hot and quite windy too so I only stayed 4hours..

3-A65-FBAF-5-A47-4-EF3-A110-F454500-C55-BE.jpg