How did you get on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Bloody cold and wet in the wind and rain. Only one bite to show for the effort, but at 6lb 9oz, I can't complain.
(34) 6lb 9oz.JPG

ian g

Reaction score
I had a few hours on the Montgomery Canal tonight . Slow start on a shallow section but a move along the bank resulted in an hour catching some of the smallest rudd I've ever seen and a few perch . I enjoyed the session without setting the world alight . It's a really nice place and has some decent fish so I'll be back.

Philip

Reaction score
With wind and rain moving in after a prolonged hot spell I wanted to get down the river. Arriving at 10pm just as its starting to rain was not so fun but I had banked some good Roach the previous evening & I felt the changing conditions might stir them up even more. Only two graced my net but they were both good ones. The first was 1.2 & the second despite looking all the world like it was twice the size & me checking the scales several times the needle wouldn’t quite go flush with the mark so I settled on 1.15 & a half. A very long lean fish. If it had any depth it would have been a real monster. Still I went home happy.

Roach.jpg

Reaction score
Went yesterday to my local small club lake,after going through around four tackle changes(different floats,baits,hooks etc)I ended the day with 11 crucians averaging around the pound,three tench to 2-8,two commons biggest around 8lbs,a perch 1-12,quite a few roach up to 10ozs,some small stocky chublets and a rudd,a very interesting,but equally frustrating as nothing really worked that well enough to stick to it,with probably ten or more bites per fish in the net.

peterjg

Reaction score
On Wednesday I went night fishing, a two night session on a pit for roach. Used a pair of Darent Valley 0.75 rods with home made method feeders. Found my spots, put bands on my reels, removed feeders and used the smallest size Spomb to bait up (lightly) with dead maggots or wheat/sweetcorn. This pit has tench to over 13lbs so I was sort of hoping for a tench as well as 3lb+ roach. First night no action, lake looked dead, no movement, no fizzing, not even a sighting of carp!? Next morning I had a bad back pain with trapped nerve - blast. Walking (with overloaded barrow) I had to pass another adjacent pit and saw a few roach topping. I must be crackers, couldn't resist it, unloaded barrow and started fishing again. Not a bite on either dead maggots or sweetcorn over wheat? Started to floatfish wheat (lift method) and it was a bite a cast, again tried dead maggots and sweetcorn, but no it had to be wheat! Ended up with around 20 decent roach. Monday they only wanted sweetcorn? It's enough to make you take up golf - no that really would be stupid!!!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Golf..crocked back, very stupid.

hope you get sorted soon

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
On Wednesday I went night fishing, a two night session on a pit for roach. Used a pair of Darent Valley 0.75 rods with home made method feeders. Found my spots, put bands on my reels, removed feeders and used the smallest size Spomb to bait up (lightly) with dead maggots or wheat/sweetcorn. This pit has tench to over 13lbs so I was sort of hoping for a tench as well as 3lb+ roach. First night no action, lake looked dead, no movement, no fizzing, not even a sighting of carp!? Next morning I had a bad back pain with trapped nerve - blast. Walking (with overloaded barrow) I had to pass another adjacent pit and saw a few roach topping. I must be crackers, couldn't resist it, unloaded barrow and started fishing again. Not a bite on either dead maggots or sweetcorn over wheat? Started to floatfish wheat (lift method) and it was a bite a cast, again tried dead maggots and sweetcorn, but no it had to be wheat! Ended up with around 20 decent roach. Monday they only wanted sweetcorn? It's enough to make you take up golf - no that really would be stupid!!!
Vegetarian Roach ? Only wanting wheat or sweetcorn.
Keep with fishing, golf ruins a good walk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A friend and I fished the canal near Berkhamsted yesterday, the stark contrast in temperature required jackets etc.

A1-DBE823-076-A-4-C92-AC62-264-B959-FD400.jpg

3-A4-CEF04-101-C-4-F57-A21-F-736-E4-D61-BA29.jpg

The usual suspects taking punch or maggots but nothing bigger than 4oz for me.

28-C99-A13-1-A09-4-B21-B2-B8-FABF5-EDE92-AA.jpg

Friend had a perch around a pound.
On the way back along the towpath a wheel fell of my ageing shuttle, the locking nut had fallen off. This morning I went back to look for it but there was no trace.
I did however find a pound coin and a knot pick..
Dropped into B & Q in Hemel on the way back and bought some nuts so shuttle is now repaired...

peterjg

Reaction score
Re previous posts: I have never played golf! Fishing could be considered daft - all that effort (and expense) to eventually catch a fish and then to gently put it back......... However; golf is seriously stupid, you bash a little white ball then walk across a field, find it and then bash it again .....

seth49

Reaction score
Usual early start for us yesterday, mick arrived just a few minutes after me, at 5.15 am, we were the first there as usual so had our pick of the pegs, tackled with an old float rod of mine, a Ron Thompson C14 match rod, described as having a medium action, I have had barbel to seven pounds on it of the ribble, so it will handle decent sized fish, used a Young’s Aerodex centrepin with six pound line, and a Drennan glo tip float, to a size 12 guru Qm1 hook.

Fished two rod lengths out, when I’d plumbed up I left the float in and fed three small balls of groundbait around it, so I could just swing the float out and fish the same spot, for bait I had 6 mm expander pellets flavoured with pineapple, mussels and prawns.

Started catching a few F1s,small Rudd,roach, and skimmers, no tench till ten o clock today but I did end up with six of them to about two pounds, plus one crucian, finished with a total catch of twenty one fish. Weather was a lot more pleasant, cloudy and mild with an odd shower, enjoyable day.
F254F3DA-947E-4ECE-B767-4691F0B9807D.jpeg
FDDB6C2B-1953-45E8-99C1-CEF8C612B3E7.jpeg

3B1C62ED-C991-48A0-9058-ACAE0A2F9B86.jpeg
668D6513-023C-4C67-9900-5919E9D2C308.jpeg

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Mick (Flightliner) happened to phone last time I was at the Tench Lake, and he fancied a break from his usual pursuit of big bream, big perch and big roach so we arranged to meet up at the small tench epicentre. Mick arrived looking a bit shocked after what he called a nightmare journey down, and I'd endorse that description of finding yourself a long way adrift on the edge of Nottingham's dreaded ring road.
With a few anglers on and a damp breeze blowing into the roadside pegs - the forecast was poor - we trudged around to the opposite bank. The bad weather didn't materialise; the wind dropped and the rain showers didn't add up to much, and the day had a bit of everything, weatherwise

The fishing had been fantastic on Monday, under blues skies and blazing sun. Naturally, the "better" conditions plus a visitor who'd come a long way had the usual perverse effect, and the tench weren't throwing themselves at the bait. I'd fished the pole on Monday, so I set up rod and pin. With two identical seeming areas to left and right, one swim barely produced a bite and maggots were ignored. Pinches of damp micro's and expanders got bites in the other, but hardly a bite came to a still bait - the bites were all a quick blink of the float as the bait settled or just after you twitched or lifted it. Steve had mentioned a friend caught some bigger fish from our bank, but we didn't see any, and I ended up with around 50 like this

Mick, meanwhile, was enjoying this old-school, light tackle, fishing for bites stuff. For a man who has caught tench to 9lb or so, he wasn't looking down on these juniors, and said catching these on light float gear and trying to suss where they were in the swim and how they were feeding was no less fun than catching bigger ones on specimen tackle. By the time we finished he was catching them at a rate.

Cheers, Mick - thanks for coming down and I'll look forward to next time, either here or on the Don.

flightliner

Reaction score
Mick (Flightliner) happened to phone last time I was at the Tench Lake, and he fancied a break from his usual pursuit of big bream, big perch and big roach so we arranged to meet up at the small tench epicentre. Mick arrived looking a bit shocked after what he called a nightmare journey down, and I'd endorse that description of finding yourself a long way adrift on the edge of Nottingham's dreaded ring road.
With a few anglers on and a damp breeze blowing into the roadside pegs - the forecast was poor - we trudged around to the opposite bank. The bad weather didn't materialise; the wind dropped and the rain showers didn't add up to much, and the day had a bit of everything, weatherwise

The fishing had been fantastic on Monday, under blues skies and blazing sun. Naturally, the "better" conditions plus a visitor who'd come a long way had the usual perverse effect, and the tench weren't throwing themselves at the bait. I'd fished the pole on Monday, so I set up rod and pin. With two identical seeming areas to left and right, one swim barely produced a bite and maggots were ignored. Pinches of damp micro's and expanders got bites in the other, but hardly a bite came to a still bait - the bites were all a quick blink of the float as the bait settled or just after you twitched or lifted it. Steve had mentioned a friend caught some bigger fish from our bank, but we didn't see any, and I ended up with around 50 like this

Mick, meanwhile, was enjoying this old-school, light tackle, fishing for bites stuff. For a man who has caught tench to 9lb or so, he wasn't looking down on these juniors, and said catching these on light float gear and trying to suss where they were in the swim and how they were feeding was no less fun than catching bigger ones on specimen tackle. By the time we finished he was catching them at a rate.

Cheers, Mick - thanks for coming down and I'll look forward to next time, either here or on the Don.

Kevin, it was a pleasure from start to finnish ('cept my journey down lol).
A lovely water to fish and in such good company , it will be nice to have a return visit one day.
Those Tench had me scratching around for an answer after my initial first few fish then the subsequent lack of bites, changes of bait, casting to individual bubbling fish , changes of depth, all brought an odd fish or bite but nothing like with the success you were enjoying further along the bank.
It was your micro pellets that made the differance for me ( Kev was being very modest in his report)that helped give me that late push to the finnish line without having a red face!
It was another reminder showing just how fussy fish can be when feeding , my four mill pellets were put in the shade by those micro's of yours ??
Needless to say I'll have some on my next visit.
I had no idea you took my foto when you were sat behind me , that's twice now !
Bottom line Kevin is a class act on yesterday's venue, at best I had maybe twenty fish to his final tally !
Next time out will hopefully be chasing the ladies in the middle of Sheffield.
Ps, Kevin, got the return journey spot on, fifty four minutes in total by way of Southwell / Kirklington!

mikench

Reaction score
He’s a tench magnet Mick and nice with it. Glad you enjoyed the day. How did you get a pinch of damp micros on a hook, was it like a paste?

nottskev

Reaction score
He’s a tench magnet Mick and nice with it. Glad you enjoyed the day. How did you get a pinch of damp micros on a hook, was it like a paste?

The pinch of micro's was the feed, Mike - just what you can pick up with the tips of your fingers. 6mm expanders on the hook, sometimes cut in half as I didn't have smaller ones.