How did you get on?

tommos16

Reaction score
I stripped it right back today, one chair, one rod, size 16 hook, 3lb line straight through and a tin of sweetcorn. On a local council free to fish lake.

And I enjoyed it immensely. 20 fish, all roach, including my best which is modest by Roach standards at 1/2 a lb but was very gratefully accepted.

Setting up took me five minutes, packing up took me five and I arguably enjoyed it more than the bigger carp I've been catching. All in two hours.

I was pleased that I still got the enjoyment from simple float fishing and cheap bait as I have from the bigger fish chasing. Hoping I always stay an all rounder!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Interesting couple of evenings on the river …target species were Roach but it turned into a real mixed bag with Roach, Chub, Bream, Wels and Carp all coming to the net.
These river Carp come in all shapes and sizes, two examples below. Although they gatecrash my Roach swim you can’t be disappointed with fish like these and they give you a real run around on the Roach gear. Apologies the photos are not the best quality but I was tired and went for speed.

carp2.jpg

Carp.jpg

I managed to get a couple of good Roach in amongst the lucky dip ..the one below going 1.8, the only blot being I had another one that looked significantly larger, that I somehow contrived to drop back in as I was unhooking it …doh !...All the fish are coming to touch ledgering with a single rod & for sure the fishing is really interesting at the moment as you just cannot predict what will turn up & anything that does not roar off like a Carp or Barbel has me on tender hooks in case its one of the really big Roach. Roll on the next trip !

Roach3.jpg

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Oiy!! You lot!! There seems to be more people on here targeting roach - they are all mine! Stick to your puddle pigs!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Fancied another go after the crucians today so off to Godalming early doors. The members lake was busy-ish which I expected given the lousy forecast for the rest of the week. Spoke to a guy in one of my favourite spots who'd fished all day yesterday and last night for one tench and a small crucian....so its still off then. No matter...I fancied one of the other lakes which seem to have calmed down a bit and being early meant I could get on before the day ticket blokes rocked up.

A tench a shade over 4lb to start followed by a crucian of about 1.5lb soon followed by 2 more both going 2-6. Good start but I then had 3 fish in a row drop off for no apparent reason and I very rarely lose fish down there. Something was clearly wrong so I changed my hook and rig slightly but by then the sun was up and the bites petered out....though I did manage 2 more crucians at 2-2 and 2lb exactly giving me 5 good crucian and a tench which wasn't a bad return from a lake that's not really fishing.

Last season I had nearly all my fish on rubber corn....this season I've not even had a bite on an artificial bait though proper sweetcorn worked today as did 6mm "bogey pellets" as the BF calls them. I enjoy it there but it is a bit samey....time to try something different I think. If only I had some decent barbel fishing.

The random tench and the two best crucian

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 70

bullet

Reaction score
Got out this evening with a friend as a guest on a river he knows well. Bit slow to start with, but a few fish started to rise and we were getting a steady stream of small Browns on dry sedges.
Suddenly all hell broke loose when this nice Peal also fancied the dry sedge...

IMG-20200707-WA0002.jpg

Probably a couple of pounds or so ,great fun on the 7ft 6 3 weight!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On a middle beat of the Eastern Rother using up the last of some left over sweetcorn and hemp with bread on a 14 hook and float for 3hrs. Not prolific but 3 roach, one fairly decent one of about 3/4lb. They liked a piece of crust pushed onto the hook and one small nicely formed chub of about 1.5lb which took a bigger piece of bread flake. Very shallow water about 1ft to 3ft, steady flow and a bit of colour in the water, nice reed and lily pads here and there, the river about 12/15ft wide at most. I have fished here before a long time ago and have had tench and bream as well, would have loved a tench but nice to catch 4 fish after a couple of blanks. Nice day, bit windy but nice spot with some nice rolling Sussex countryside behind me and some nice easy fishing, nothing too complicated, just how I like it.
100_0287.JPG
100_0286.JPG
100_0285.JPG

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Mark, assuming you’re using this site‘s photo upload function? when you attach a photo try clicking on “Full image” . Your pics will be full size ...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark, assuming you’re using this site‘s photo upload function? when you attach a photo try clicking on “Full image” . Your pics will be full size ...
I just tried that Peter on a separate practice post and all it did was open it on a new screen! Can you explain how you do it?

Ignore that, I have just got it, I have just altered the post...thanks Peter. Looks like I need to clean the lens as well.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished a club fixture Sunday on the Aylesbury arm which was a nightmare.
The weed was so bad we had to rake out our swims.
2F689236-6626-49AC-8834-B1AFD2774EC5.jpeg

We also had to contend with a strong and gusty wind. Had a few bites on punch in the coloured water, small roach and rudd. It wasn’t long before the colour from the raking dropped out and I could see my punch on the bottom..

5D4B494E-67EA-4841-A0F4-D1B929A89FFD.jpeg

weighed in just 1:2:0 for nowhere....
C0CCFDAF-AA7E-418A-A102-FDE849403828.jpeg

Monday a blank on the Colne fishing big flake on straight lead..
D1C91C97-9078-4DBE-B259-6375CCE9F554.jpeg

Yesterday 17 codgers turned out for our match at Marsworth, a better day with no weed, plenty of bites from roach on punch. Spent too long trying for chub across by the boats which was a mistake as my roach only weighed 1:13:0 for nowhere.
F1DD559A-DFDB-4059-9B33-2F8071F583DE.jpeg
6E9EB035-1F8A-4175-A905-D6AE77EB0E0A.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and i met early doors amid gloom and drizzle at a small pool with only 8 pegs. It's surrounded by trees so casting is difficult and there are quite a few snags consisting of fallen
IMG_7063.JPG

branches. It appeared to be raining but it was water falling from all the trees. I caught lots of small roach and perch and a common of around 4lb. I also caught this which could be a crucian. It certainly put up a real fight.

IMG_7062.JPG

I think it may have been a common but who knows. Gordon had a crucian and caught consistently . We both lost floats and rigs in trees and I had to rerig at least twice. We both float fished and most fish were caught on maggot. As we packed up I remarked to Gordon that I had a total of 36 on the clicker and Gordon discovered he had exactly the same number. He persisted in several last casts and beat me by at least one. We had a thoroughly enjoyable day chatting about all sorts and catching fish. Cheers Gordon and here's to Friday if I can go.

mikench

Reaction score
It could well be . It's a natural hybrid as F1's have not been deliberately introduced. It fought like stink.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That looks a very small and intimate spot, right up my street.

mikench

Reaction score
It certainly is that John. It's tranquil and quiet and ive not seen another angler there apart from Gordon. The water holds carp, crucians, chub, Rudd, roach, perch , bream, tench and gudgeon. Gordon had a nice bream today and I know there are some big carp in there so we just have to tempt them.