How did you get on?

Reaction score
I did say that to a very good m8 of mine who works for the CART doing the enviromental studies, fish rescue etc etc.
He told me that the footpaths are for everyone, including cyclists....and there is no speed limit other than use consideration for other users.
As with most things, consideration for others no longer exists.

Without doubt,i've heard of several guys having bikes ride straight through poles,we are talking chest high and in vision,one particular guy did it to a guy in the middle of a match length,he and his bike ended up in the middle of the Grand Union,how the CART can think that a guy on a push bike has the same rights as someone who pays for the privilege,absurd!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Without doubt,i've heard of several guys having bikes ride straight through poles,we are talking chest high and in vision,one particular guy did it to a guy in the middle of a match length,he and his bike ended up in the middle of the Grand Union,how the CART can think that a guy on a push bike has the same rights as someone who pays for the privilege,absurd!

Thing is, even pedestrians, runners etc pay nothing, it's only anglers and I think boats have a fee to pay on canals also.
I know there are more and more anglers who love fishing canals but i'm not one of them, I seriously dislike fishing canals.

Reaction score
Boats pay serious money,so as I see it,they have bragging rights,anglers next,everyone else should kiss the ring!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Boats pay serious money,so as I see it,they have bragging rights,anglers next,everyone else should kiss the ring!

If you think about what canal towpaths were artually made for ...horses towing boats it seems absurd that horses arn't allowed on most canals!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I noticed quite few mountain bikers riding far too fast and coming up behind you almost unheard. There could be an accident. How is a canal towpath mountain terrain?
At one time you needed a cycle licence to ride along the Bridgewater Canal towpath, available from Peel Holdings I think, Only 12 per year were issued.
You may still need one, it could be one of those old laws that are still in force.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I
Thing is, even pedestrians, runners etc pay nothing, it's only anglers and I think boats have a fee to pay on canals also.
I know there are more and more anglers who love fishing canals but i'm not one of them, I seriously dislike fishing canals.
Was going to buy a house in Lymm where the garden gate opened on to the towpath, I found out I would have to pay at the time
(25+ years ago ) £15 a year for the privilege.
In the end the seller took it off the market after I had paid to have a survey done.
Bought one on the other side of the road with a 5 minute walk to the river bolliin.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Bad choice on my part yesterday Mike, sorry about that. If I'd had my thinking cap on I wouldn't have suggested it. I've fished it before with a westerley wind and had problems. Onwards and forwards.

Reemul

Reaction score
Sat at Kingsbridge, beautiful morning, trying an end corner swim.

20200711_082437.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
That is a cracking perch. I assume you meant it was your first perch rather than your first 4lb 1oz perch. I'm envious. (y)

Reemul

Reaction score
That is a cracking perch. I assume you meant it was your first perch rather than your first 4lb 1oz perch. I'm envious. (y)

Yes my 1st ever perch, had 3 more all around 2lb, all on luncheon meat. Really slow day though son had a 10lb carp as well but not much for a 13 hour day :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not long back from a dalliance with the other local river. Lost the will to keep count of the dace at around fifty. I would guess I ended up with somewhere around the hundred mark. Ten or so chublets, three perch, a grayling and a roach to top it all off. Perhaps the grayling and one of the perch might have scraped the pound mark. Nothing else much over ten ounces. A nice busy session though.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Decided to go back to the middle stretch of the E Rother yesterday, bad decision, hundreds of canoes and those stand up things coming through, will not go back there on a Saturday, some camping site nearby and they hire them out for ten quid. I changed swim at one point for a slightly wider one but I needn't have bothered, just as bad. Still despite that managed 3 roach and one chub. Warburton's brown bread with oats was the only bait with a few bits for ground-bait. I tried a paternoster rig, three bb's on the bottom to cock the float and hold bottom, a loop 6 inches above that with a 12in hook length tied to it and a small shot near the hook just to hold the bait down; I think it is more sensitive than the conventional float set up. The bread is quite soft with some flecks of oat in it, I found rolling the bait around the 14 hook and leaving the point just poking through and squeezing it hard on the line just above the hook but leaving a short tail of soft worked best. Nice bread though, just right and I prefer brown bread.
chub2.JPG
roach33.JPG
swim1.JPG

The river was deeper than I thought it would be, it narrows here and I remembered it as shallower from years ago but it was about 5ft. Bit of colour, plenty of bites when the canoes were not going through. The chub was about 1.5 lb again but the roach might have been pushing a 1lb, must try and get some scales one day. I had a couple of other roach as well. Perfectly formed fish, not much fishing goes on here so the fish are pristine without any damage.
Not much bird life, swallows and martins skimming the surface which are the first I have seen so that was nice and a couple of reed warblers flitting about.
100_0292.JPG

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What a bunch of ****s in your last picture!!!
Ho, came through every 15 mins or so, whole groups of them, some did not even notice I was there, one or two commented sorry but not many, I thought they were pretty ignorant to be honest and passers by of which there were hundreds on there way to the pub further down said must be difficult catching fish and I said live and let live but I was getting stretched thinking that. Last time I was there in the week no problem deserted so will stick to that and avoid weekends. I am not selfish, got let these people enjoy themselves, I don't have sole rights to the water and they were enjoying themselves. These two activities just don't mix, never will; I will have the weekdays, they can have the weekend.

Reaction score
I'm slightly embarrassed to post about my day on the river yesterday,I got there early and got one of the flyers(out of two)and caught so many barbel between 3-7lbs that I am not going to put the number in print,needless to say i'm shattered(too much for a 66 year old,lol),I had two very large roach in the peg,I did have one decent dace,but the barbel were hossing the other species out,even carp,several times two barbel barged carp much bigger than them out of the feed area...just to add,you need to make hay while the sunshines because opportunities to fish these pegs are rarer than hens teeth,lol...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ho, came through every 15 mins or so, whole groups of them, some did not even notice I was there, one or two commented sorry but not many, I thought they were pretty ignorant to be honest and passers by of which there were hundreds on there way to the pub further down said must be difficult catching fish and I said live and let live but I was getting stretched thinking that. Last time I was there in the week no problem deserted so will stick to that and avoid weekends. I am not selfish, got let these people enjoy themselves, I don't have sole rights to the water and they were enjoying themselves. These two activities just don't mix, never will; I will have the weekdays, they can have the weekend.

The problem being Mark,often you can't even fish when they come by,especially on weedy rivers,so they aren't giving you the same consideration of your enjoyment,as I say ****s!!!