How did you get on?

tommos16

Reaction score
I'm a scouser in exile in Wigan, due to a series of unfortunate mistakes/jobs which lead me to this sad town haha

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
Yeah there are, I've been on a few myself but the facilities, booking system and easy collection of bait etc just makes Partridge easy!

The Runner

Reaction score
Skye has at least three "The Aird"s, had originally intended to go to the North End one at Kilmaluag as it was a small tide and might even be able to hold bottom in the tide run for once, but complete lack of mackerel on yesterday evenings bait catching session coupled with the wind direction and weather forecast changed my mind and went to the one at a few miles south of home at Gedintailor. Never fished it before but looks quite deep and kelpy close in on Google Earth so just packed a lure rod and a selection of lures and bits in a small bag.
Murky drizzly day with a squally wind but a nice easy walk in (by local standards), decent path to start, then along a beach and up onto the point and half a mile along to the deeper end. Turned out to be about 15' right in the edge at low tide, found a few spots where the kelp didn't go out too far, and straight into fish. Five pollack in the first 40 minutes, slowed down a little after that but ended up with eleven, pretty much peas in a pod, not as big an average size as the fish on the North End marks but great fun on spinning gear.
Knocked a few limpets off the rocks and had a look down the side on float during a quiet spell, missed one bite first drop, presumably a wrasse as nothing else eats limpets....
One of the pollack on a jellyworm, all the others on Savage Gear roach paddletails worked along the edge of the kelp.
Lots of rock pipits about and a distant sea eagle towards Raasay. Had a grey seal in front of me most of the day but luckily never came close enough to take an interest in my pollack
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Took my new floatmaster out this avvey, what a reel !
First barbel on it was 11lb 9 ounces ......

That was the only barbel I had, but, I had a few nice chub, I reckon they were all 5lb plus....

Had a few average dace and a couple of small roach then I had an urgent message from my guts who were screaming out for jack- bit so home I went :).

tommos16

Reaction score
There are some good commercials around wigan area. I have fished a few around there.
I am from Warrington now living in Oxford.
@mikench and @wetthrough (Gordon) are from Wilmslow and Altrincham . I have had a couple of good days out with them.
Ah I didn't know they were relatively local! Good to know. Hopefully once the virus is a thing of the past (and i know it may be wishful thinking) there might be a bit of a fish in with people from the forum. Not sure if it's happened in the past but it would be great

theartist

Reaction score
Had a short session on the Stour through Canterbury this morning, once a regular jaunt but haven’t been much this year, the fish are becoming scarcer with predation from cormorants and fish being taken for the plate, those that remain have become even more wary and keep hidden away for much of the time.

Travelled light to rove the mile of river and started in a favourite comfy spot.

No action after 15 minutes, moved upstream to a much weedier part.

Again no sign of activity, time to get amongst the nettles and carefully place the bait under a willow tree.

A couple of minutes and the tip ripped round, I saw the fish immediately and knew it was a goodun, having lost some good fish in the past in the many snags I have beefed up the kit, an Avon rod loaded with 8lb Progold, job done, in the net within a minute.. I’ve had well over a hundred and fifty chub from the free section in the last three seasons, nearly all between 3 and 4lb.........finally a pb at 5lb 4ozs.

A good time to call it a day and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Sadly this area has a new development being constructed, retail park, cinema, cafes and bars with 500 flats for student accommodation being built, it saddened me even further when I spotted this.

Canoe Wild already operates out of Fordwich and Grove Ferry offering kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals, no experience needed. The river has become impossible to fish after 10am, now the free stretch will go the same way, due to complete in a year, better make the most of it while I can.
That's an absolute shocker, I remember the first time I fished that stretch I was taken aback by how beautiful the river was there, and I've fished a few urban stretches in my time. The ranunculus used to sway in that rippling current like it was hypnotizing, the water was crystal clear and shallow and there was fish everywhere, you could wade out and dace would sit within a rod length, it truly was a beautiful bit of urban river. It's not a lido nor should it be for dayglo coloured city types on stag/hen do's carving it up in canoes/kayaks. After all they are not going to be sedately drifting down with the current are they? - Shame on you Canterbury Council I won't be visiting there again

Reaction score
I posted this in the River Ribble thread but it seems a bit dead. I've been fishing the River Ribble for around ten years now, mainly for barbel. We've noticed in the last few years a huge drop off in our barbel catches, still catch chub though and some big ones, but the barbel seem to have disappeared. On a good day we used to catch a dozen. I don't use Barbel Fishing World or other sites so I was wondering if other Ribble Anglers have experienced the same and, if so, whats happened?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's an absolute shocker, I remember the first time I fished that stretch I was taken aback by how beautiful the river was there, and I've fished a few urban stretches in my time. The ranunculus used to sway in that rippling current like it was hypnotizing, the water was crystal clear and shallow and there was fish everywhere, you could wade out and dace would sit within a rod length, it truly was a beautiful bit of urban river. It's not a lido nor should it be for dayglo coloured city types on stag/hen do's carving it up in canoes/kayaks. After all they are not going to be sedately drifting down with the current are they? - Shame on you Canterbury Council I won't be visiting there again

and I wouldn’t mind betting they’ll strip all the streamers and othee river foliage, to accommodate this. Canterbury council have been against the fishing for sometime anyway.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished this morning on my club’s newly acquired stretch of the Colne at Cowley, on the outskirts of Uxbidge..I had a look at it the other day and found this peg which I fancied for some far bank waggler work.

EBD4A842-914C-4147-A51B-FA2798C54214.jpeg

Set up 13’ ultralight, 3BB Crystal waggler to a 20 Crystal bend hook. Sat and pinged maggots across in the deeper water (4’) before my first cast. Tiny chublets were intercepting my maggot shallow so I swapped one of the BBs for 2 number 6 which I bulked with the other shot below....That worked....
30B5E37A-8EDE-4B0C-9E40-3F7A666C9FF5.jpeg
0C625D1B-4D72-4161-BA3B-7BE01674E15E.jpeg
6C2EC725-0F5A-4B66-9842-A872087A3CD9.jpeg

bracket

Reaction score
I have been out of sorts recently . Nothing serious, just a maudling melancholy I could not seem to kick. So this morning I was determined to lose my Lockdown Lethargy and fish the Stour. I got there at 6.45am and plump for this peg:

peg.JPG
Typical Stour peg, around 8ft deep and just moving. 8ft deep, so for me that means a 7 No 4 stickfloat
with one under the float, a spaced bulk of five two thirds down with a couple of No 8's as droppers plus a third No 8 as a backshot. The backshot is basically out of habit. This river's pace is so slow here that you tend to catch directly in front and I would run down no more that four yards before retrieving. Line control is not difficult on such a short trot. I fed in small balls of a crumb and sensas black mix and loose fed maggot. Size 20 hook and double red maggot at the business end and away we went. First run through produced this:

100_0958.JPG

So happy with that. For the next ninety minutes it was a fish a chuck, roach, dace, perch and chublets. I was settling nicely in to that yesteryear matchman's rhythm of: feed, cast, strike and swing in' when a jack pike around 5 or 6lb showed up and took me all over the river before spitting it out and ragging my tackle. So after resetting up again things were decidedly quiet, until this this came along:

100_0953.JPG

Followed by one slightly smaller:

100_0956.JPG

With those two out of the way things got back to par and I continued to pick up roach and dace. I packed up after three hours with arm ache and backache, seems to be my limit now on the rivers. But 93 fish in three hours is OK by me, with a couple of bonus fish thrown in. So a contented stroll back to the car after a pleasant morning, spent doing what I like to do. Pete.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“maudling melancholy” A much nicer way of saying a loss of mojo, Hope it’s back and stays back Pete.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on the other water of our new club today, mick and I and Neil joined us on a guest ticket, arrived just after 6 am, and after a look round we picked our swims and started tackling up, I decided to fish my margin pole, one top kit for the margin, and one for six metres out, bait was either bread crust, mussels, or some 6 and 8mm Sonu expander pellets which I’d flavoured with outrageous orange goo.

The pellets turned out to be the best, I had roach, F1s,skimmers,and a chub, plus I landed five carp from five pounds up to ten pounds eight ozs, good fun on the pole, as I kept most of them circling around in front of me, apart from one which shot off with the elastic at full stretch it jumped out of the water and came off as it landed, think that’s only the second carp I’ve had jump out while playing it.

A good day today, this is the best peg I’ve fished in three visits, starting to learn this pond now, will keep trying other pegs to see how they fish, plenty to go at yet.

CC70AF9A-F144-4099-944C-BCCD2D238300.jpeg
A0336775-978D-489E-B284-B1EDC2B08125.jpeg
C74F6BCD-175F-48DB-918F-0EE3F5CE8BE7.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I tried the canal stretch today for a tench, been trying for about ten years.. Armed with casters, hemp (re Skippy), red robin soft pellets, sweetcorn and brown bread. Spent my yearly fishing budget about ten quid. I also found two fake maggots in my tackle box. Loaded the swim with casters and hemp with casters on a 14 hook, paternoster float and a will to succeed. Little nibbles and then started to notice lots of bubbles and then a tench surfaced right next to my float, now I am paying attention. Float slid away, something good on, here we go, made for the weeds on the right, got it out and it was a bloody bream, big one though, that's a big tin in the picture:) I am saying 5lb. This on one fake yellow maggot and a few casters, I lost the other fake maggot. Just after this another slide away, better fish, straight into the weed and then lost it. Tench... felt a bit like a big eel but if it was a tench it was big. The bubbles stopped now and that was it. Never used the red robin, to expensive so I will save for a special occasion, tried a bit of bread but only nibbles. Not happy with the casters, they were tiny and never used the sweetcorn.
Kingfisher blitzed by, two buzzards, four reed warblers, one common tern and two green woodpeckers made for up the rest of the day. Warm, overcast, no wind, coloured water, no tench though. Spoke to one bloke the only other fishing on the way home and he said keep trying, he had about 8 last year, I didn't tell him it had been about ten years, but just seeing one was almost enough.
Sea looks good now but it will have to wait until I get a tench this year, I am getting an obsession over it, always a bad sign but makes a change from a bass obsession and not catching any either or Mullet come to think of it.
100_0316.JPG

100_0315.JPG
100_0318.JPG
100_0325.JPG
100_0324.JPG

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to walk the extra few yards over the fields to where a backwater meets the river – this is one of my favourite dace swims and never fails to provide. The water here is mostly so shallow that you can see the gravel bottom but not the dace until you hook one or when they compete for the contents of the catapult – but they are well and truly there.

I took the luxury of taking the X-Lite as one needs to keep very low on a steep bank here and the posey department is not so keen on hard stony banks these days. The rest of the setup was the old trusty Microlite2000, pin and casters well past their ‘best before’ date.

An enjoyable 3 hours early afternoon fishing with non stop action and either a dace or a miss a trot – these fish are lightning fast...................

bw2 15july20.JPG
bw15july20.JPG

PA200012.JPG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Every water is different Mark but I’m starting to get better results with Robin Red 8mm pre drilled pellets. A bag for a fiver will last for several sessions so not too expensive.

Ive ticked the tench box but the bass are eluding me, non stop weed and murky waters along the Thanet coastline, no good for lures. I’m hoping to get to Hythe next week and hope the conditions are more favourable in the English Channel compared to the Muddy North Sea.