How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It’s that aspect which I find so off putting to the point that those I visited haven’t seen me since. I’d rather take up crochet .
I agree, it has put me off some places, couldn't enjoy fishing like that. I was surprised to see it so busy on a Wednesday though but seeing as there have been about 200,000 more licences sold during lock down and this is a well known and well advertised place I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. It was always a bit to busy for me when I last visited it but this was worse. My mate wasn't put off by it though, first time he has seen a commercial so he just thought it was normal, I will find him somewhere nicer if and when he wants to go, we just happened to be passing nearby and we turned off to have a look not to fish as I haven't been there for about 10 years. This is not an example of all commercials but I don't want to open that one all over again.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
With no new guests arriving this afternoon, she who should be (but rarely is) obeyed gave me the ok to have an extended evening session, so I took off to the lily pad lake in hope of a tench before the summer is gone. No tench, but two cracking rudd, annoyingly the scales were left in the car and I didn’t want to put this beautiful fish at risk by going to get them, I’ve been lucky to have caught a lot of big rudd and this was certainly well over 2lb, maybe 2lb 8, but I’ll never know and somehow it doesn’t matter, it was a beautiful surprise fish. I wonder if there are anymore of that size?
Big Rudd on a dry fly from a float tube, there’s a project!
b48dbd4966b334b12683e448cc97ed2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weather was fine locally today, sunny and felt warm. Anyhow, it was a diffeent story at the river a few miles away. I was surprised (not pleasantly) at the river, the wind was a strong horrible cold downstream one and it felt very chilly stood mid river. The wind was so powerful it made trotting hard work. I was using a 6 gram wire stemed float to aid in control, but the wind caused me to overcast and my hook got fast in a sunken tree which I was trotting along. I had to pull for a break and my line snapped off just above the float?.
All I had was a few small roach, dace, minows and a half decent chub, i'd rather of caught none and still had my float!

Spot me float, if it had been a month or so back when it was hot weather I would have swam over for it, I hate loosing stuff, especially when it's tethered to a tree and bobbing about in front of me.....

The float before it was lost...

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I sympathise Gary but at the moment the world and his wife are going fishing and have the time to do so. Can you not join a club and enjoy some exclusivity and one with waters and pegs which are suitable for your needs? Good luck.

I suppose there are a few clubs locally Mike but not close to my home that I know of, I quite happy enough at my chosen fishery. Usually it's quiet enough through the week not lately though, Mr Johnson would have a lot to answer to if he was speaking to me. :LOL:

seth49

Reaction score
The three of us on new fishery as usual on a Thursday, arrived at 11am to find mick already there, and Neil arrived just after me, we were the only ones on the fishery again, till six o clock so no problems with crowds of people fishing here,and just two members turned up for an evenings fishing, lot to be said for members only fishery’s.

I went back on the same peg as Tuesday, I like this corner peg it has a good variety of fish as well, usual sleeper rod in margin to my right, which apart from one dropped run did nothing, started with float rod for a change, fished dead maggots too left hand side, had a few roach and skimmers on these, till a five pound carp joined in, which trashed the peg for silvers, good scrap on the float rod though.

So put the float rod away, and started free lining mussel or worms, over groundbait by the left hand margin, using my Nash nine foot rod, first fish another carp about same size, and then a barbel and a tench, plus two more carp, lost a couple as well could have been foul hooked though.

Not as hot as Tuesday, but very pleasant all the same, we all caught fish and had a good day with the usual banter it was enjoyable,
2543FA65-84E8-4BBC-B77D-6AF633AAB75E.jpeg
175F68FD-2A7E-4DD8-82F6-311C10E3E100.jpeg
48ACEA52-8653-40F5-B871-C125C9D92552.jpeg

christhoel

Reaction score
Bought a new rod yesterday so it needed to be christened so down to my closest swim on the river armed with a pint of red and white maggots !
Bites from the off on the new rod but was struggling to convert them into fish with the soft tip !
After a while of frustration I decided a tweak in tactics was needed instead of fishing the rod tip up I’d have it side on giving less bow in the line and it was a instant success connected to the first bite ! A Minnow! Maybe another reason for so many missed bites !
Had a trouble getting the bait past minnows had 8 in a row before any this of size came along which happened to be a grayling quite a decent size a few more minnows got landed than boom ? a proper rod moving bite resulting in the biggest perch I’ve caught this year that killed the swim for a while then I had 2 small perch and to finish off and killed the swim completely was a rather excitable brown trout after that I packed up happy the new rod had done what it was bought to do catch fish in tight tree lined swims !
51F6123B-F123-495C-8E90-9430EB0B7DE9.jpeg
B84C2D21-D129-478D-A421-827BA950DC9D.png
88B1DD8E-4851-4B9A-AE36-5CA9A1727F2A.jpeg
EC0320DC-A882-4188-A8A6-2C533F23BC9A.jpeg
D03C00F1-0F11-4A40-A96E-EEF8B3E4333C.jpeg
02D0B024-E692-430C-A6E0-4F49FA15A04C.jpeg
BA981E2C-D1AF-4981-9F55-DEA300F91BC4.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I had a desire to return to the water we visited last Friday. We felt a favourable weather forecast might give Us a good days fishing and some tench. This was the water at 7.00am.

IMG_7690.JPG

It was dark, misty and decidedly cold. We raked our swims and settled down to what we thought and hoped would be a momentous day.

The
IMG_7689.JPG

Gordon raked loads of weed and felt convinced the fish would come.
In the first hour I had a small perch and roach and Gordon double that but that was it. It remained very cold until lunchtime when the sun finally got through and the afternoon was very warm. It didn't change the response of the fish which simply disappeared. Very disappointing in truth but that's fishing.

We enjoyed the fresh air and a day of contrasting conditions. Much was discussed including our poor choice of venue and the complete absence of fish of any ilk. Never mind there will always be another day.

john step

Reaction score
I fancied a different day today. I took my light lure rod to catch some small perch. No biggies in the water as far as I know. Certainly no pike.
Hot day with a cold wind . Strange September! An enjoyable day despite my hacking cold getting worse by the hour. Thats it for a few days I think.

Senior moment. Dont ask how the picture appeared twice:mad:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I finally dragged myself out today....1st time for about 6 weeks. Been in the proper doldrums fishing wise for ages so when the BF suggested we " stopped being lightweights" and went fishing I foolishly agreed. We thought ( some hope) that a not too distant commie would allow us to get our wires pulled by a few carp. As I said, some hope....I think they saw us coming.

We were told corn down the edge was the way to go so that's what we did. Conditions were horrible as they had the aerators going which made the lake like a moderately paced river. I could not keep my rig still until I nailed it to the deck with a lead ie float ledgering. Could not hit the bites though which made me think F1s and sure enough when The BF finally hooked one that's what it was. I then had one and lost the next 6 fish I hooked...3 of which were proper carp not scabby F1s. The BF meanwhile was getting the odd skimmer which I am delighted to say I managed to avoid. Ended up on the tip out of sheer frustration and seemed to connect with more bites but continued to lose fish for no reason that I could fathom.

Later a guy turned up and fished the pole right in the edge which is probably what we should have been doing. At least we could have held the bait still and not had to fight the drag constantly. I never felt my set up was sensitive or subtle enough for F1s at the end of a summer where they've been battered day in day out.

So.....i ended up with a few F1s of no great size. The BF had similar plus a snot or two of skimmer,one scriber roach and s little mirror of about 3lb. Did we enjoy it ? No. Was it good just to get out again ? Not really....its a pleasant enough spot I guess but it was ( as ever) quite busy and the place had a really odd feel to it. To me it felt like an strange mix of Outpatient Department, Weatherspoons and pikey camp. Didnt do my state of mind any good at all.....I need a quiet place and to catch a few fish but to say I'm not " match fit" gets nowhere near the truth of it. I was so off the pace today it was scary.....and even worse, I knew it and didn't care.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I arrived at the river this avvey at 2.30pm but I was more than a little jacked off to find there was still a strong gusting downstream wind!
I did battle with this bloody wind on a higher stretch of the river the other day and I had to do battle with it yet again!
The wind was a particular nuisance in this spot as the river is a good 80 or more yards wide on the back end of a bend and is like a wind tunnel. I had to wade out as far as could, and then cast as far as I could to get to the spot where I know the fish are at. Anyhow, I did catch a good few fish, had a good few chub of assorted sizes, annoying minows, dace and one barbel which I tried out my little digi scales out on, the scales reckon the fish was 9lb and one ounce.
The amount of work involved in controlling my float wore me out in less than 2 1/2 hours, and I really was glad when i'd had enough of it today!
When I got back to the the wheels and removed my waders I noticed I had a wet foot..."a leak" not good as the waders arn't that old :(.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Lovely fish Ian and I don't miss the wading bit.
An amusing report Skip and I know how you feel. It's a strange old world at the moment. Mojos have become a little less reliable. :)

wetthrough

Reaction score
Just a shot of Mike from the far side. Not much to say about yesterday. Good company, rubbish fishing. There wasn't much else we could have done. The fish just weren't having it. No doubt they stuffed themselves silly at our expense come nightfall. Lesson learned for that venue at least.

CM_Mike_20200918_141700.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
With no new guests arriving this afternoon, she who should be (but rarely is) obeyed gave me the ok to have an extended evening session, so I took off to the lily pad lake in hope of a tench before the summer is gone. No tench, but two cracking rudd, annoyingly the scales were left in the car and I didn’t want to put this beautiful fish at risk by going to get them, I’ve been lucky to have caught a lot of big rudd and this was certainly well over 2lb, maybe 2lb 8, but I’ll never know and somehow it doesn’t matter, it was a beautiful surprise fish. I wonder if there are anymore of that size?
Big Rudd on a dry fly from a float tube, there’s a project!
b48dbd4966b334b12683e448cc97ed2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is an absolutely stunning fish. Well done.....I am insanely jealous.

flightliner

Reaction score
A Trent side trip yesterday hoping for a BB on float gear, size 22 wide gape with 6/7 maggots produced 8 roach in three hours so moved downstream and put the big guns out with double 16 mil pellets,
First three casts turned up three biggish Bream to around 6 or 7 lbs, lovely clean fish too!
That was it, nothing afterwards, not even a crab so I must be doing something right!
Packed away at 6-30 and took out a wasps nest when they were all tucked up for the night--- look out Mr Chub!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
A Trent side trip yesterday hoping for a BB on float gear, size 12 wide gape with 6/7 maggots produced 8 roach in three hours so moved downstream and put the big guns out with double 16 mil pellets,
First three casts turned up three biggish Bream to around 6 or 7 lbs, lovely clean fish too!
That was it, nothing afterwards, not even a crab so I must be doing something right!
Packed away at 6-30 and took out a wasps nest when they were all tucked up for the night--- look out Mr Chub!!!

The Runner

Reaction score
Back up to Aird today, another day when the sea mist never lifted all day.
Hard, but an interesting mixture- two decent pollack, two and a half coalfish, a mackerel, a guillemot and a sponge...
Very big tide today, probably the biggest I've fished here and the tiderip through the channel virtually unfishable. Put lure out on a 30gm jighead cast uptide and it just got swept round 180 degrees in seconds
IMG_1688.JPG

Spent the day working back and forwards between the various rock points but just the odd take, never more than one from each spot despite regular changes of lure.
Pollack were both this size
IMG_1687.JPG

The other coalies were a bit bigger than this would have been had I managed to land all of it...
IMG_1689.JPG

And 45 minutes on the big rod at low water slack produced no bites but hooked this weird thing - thought I had something decent on for a few seconds until the rock it must have been attached to fell off
IMG_1691.JPG

The lone mackerel was only small, and sorry but no pic of the guillemot (which took a black & white Cannibal Shad). It got a few good pecks in before I got it under control and then after unhooking it grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go, but eventually flew off none the worse for wear. Unlike my hand.