How did you get on?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I usually have a trip down there about once or twice in the river close season and I’ve usually done well on Milton. Not last year though. I saw a guy pull an 11 lb zander out of there on pellet. The bailiff said they put a few in to control the small roach population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The zander get everywhere via the stream that runs in and out of the main lake and into Milton and Bonds. Most get in via a pipe as fry and grow on. I've had a few gudgeon sized ones on maggot....Phil has had a couple around 10oz also on maggot. I've often wondered what might happen if I tried a deadbait in Milton but I dont honestly think there are enough in there of a worthwhile size to make that worth the effort.

Reaction score
Christ a few years after Milton was first stocked I caught small zander in there,at least four or five while trying to catch tench and crucians...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nothing much to say about today, a couple of hours on the high tide down by the jetty. Some pretty rank lugworm from the freezer and not a nibble. Apart from my mate coming down and taking the pee out of me for never catching anything and a bit of a chat with a bird watcher who sat nearby, it would have been a complete loss but; as it was I learned a few things if only about birds in the local area. Sunny and nice as long as the sun kept out from the clouds, otherwise it was a bit chilly. Sea was a bit calm and not clear enough, either way is best usually but I haven't heard of much being caught lately, maybe give it another go in the week with some fresh bait. Lots of cormorants about, one came up with a fish but didn't get the picture.

100_0768.JPG
100_0769.JPG
100_0774.JPG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Waking up to a clear blue sky and next to no wind I decided to make an impromptu visit to the estate lake for a few hours. Over lockdown and unfishable weather I've done much thinking, too much thinking most probably, but it is abundantly clear that my catch rate in the past year or so is inferior to that of fellow members, so a case of if you can't beat them join them and with a heavy heart left my favoured float set up at home and begrudgingly decided on this.............

Being a lazy angler I've found this a useful product, ready to go, no messing around getting the mix right.

Tench were the target but within the first hour two pristine commons graced the net.

The skies gradually turned from azure blue to a monochrome grey and the temperature dropped.

The carp disappeared and the bream moved in. ?

But there was a rare moment of splendour as I managed to get a snap of an owl gliding across the lake, not a sight I've witnessed before.

8B0E164F-FA3C-411A-8F08-8681E34A6A46.jpeg

Feeling the chill, packed up after four hours.

Used 6lb Progold and a QM1 size 14 hook attached to a Map Parabolix Bomb rod that I'd won on an EBay auction for a snip many months ago, super thin and light and handled the carp with ease, nice way to christen it.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I dont know why it is happening,but when I scroll through a series of pictures as in the above post,I have to wait for each one to load up,this never used to happen,most odd...

seth49

Reaction score
chilly start yesterday, it was 0c when I arrived at the fishery, after an overnight low of-4c, so wasn’t expecting a lot, still I was out fishing again, and it didn’t feel to bad in the sunshine ?.

So carp rod in margin as usual, and for a change I used my 13 foot float rod, to fish maggots and paste to my right hand side out a couple of yards in the deeper water were I’d caught well on the pole the last time I fished here.
Very slow, first fish was a gudgeon on maggot, then I caught an F1 and later a couple of tench, that was It for the day, never had another fish all afternoon, I packed up at five.

I did hope the carp might come into the margin later but not today, it just didn’t happen, still it was nice to be out again, it was a bit on the cold side though, glad I was wearing plenty, needed it, back tomorrow.
9FC1C539-BC35-4401-A865-0EEC73FEB2D5.jpeg
CA5C7152-748B-4F3C-8568-66AFD4A95518.jpeg

theartist

Reaction score
Spent the morning on the canal yesterday and she just keeps giving. Another couple of chub, the good roach are starting to show and some really nice perch including one beaut just shy of 2lb. Maybe the only chance to get out this week so glad it was a good day again. An old lady summed it up when she walked by, we exchanged hellos and she said "What a lovely pastime to be doing on a morning like this"

Pretty much sums it up really.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
12 codgers fished yesterday at Tring behind the flour mill on the Wendover arm of the GUC. Quite noisy with the various machines working inside.
The water was quite clear and the first thing I noticed was a long black mass near the margin to my right. It was a massive shoal of small roach which appeared to be sunbathing, there were thousands of them. A bait dropped on them was totally ignored..
I had 3 small perch and 2 small skimmers in the first few minutes before it went dead. For the following 4 hours I picked up about 10 more small roach and perch . By lunchtime 7 codgers packed up leaving the 5 directly behind the mill . Winner had 4:5:0 mainly roach on punch. I was 3rd with 1:15:0 mostly caught on single pinkie on a 22 B511.
522BCD91-A693-42E3-AEFB-4AA941F40863.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
I dont know why it is happening,but when I scroll through a series of pictures as in the above post,I have to wait for each one to load up,this never used to happen,most odd...
That happens to me too Alan but not all the time. It just makes it a little tedious.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Went to fish the dam yesterday. All sorted, stepped outside and went back in to put the thermals on! Frost on the screen didn't fill me with confidence but with everything ready I was going come what may. Arrived at around 7:30.
LD_DamFromHead.jpg

Ahhh, waggler heaven. Hardly a breath of wind. Just as well as the east side where I'd planned to fish doesn't get much sun at the height of summer never mind April. Set up the 10'6" 2lb:20s for the margin and the 13' 3.3lb:18s for around 15/20M in about 8'. Fingers were stiff with cold. Made a few clumsy casts because I couldn't feel the line against the spool. Chucked some loose GB in the long swim and a few solid balls to get to the bottom. Just a little loose GB just out from the margin and some loose feed. The margins seem to produce more early on so started there and let the long line settle for a while. First cast and out comes a 3:4oz Roach.

LD_DamFromBoardwalk_20210413_122945 .jpg

Pulled a few more out with several netters, 6oz+. Not much interest in caster or bread. Maggots would get bites but by far the best for weight was Tares. The action doesn't usually last long in the margin so switched to the long line pulling a few more out. You know those days when everything seems to go wrong. You stand on the maggot box spend half your time undoing tangles, cast like a turkey, floats in bushes trees hooks in snags etc. None of that, everything went to plan switching between the two swims ending up with 81 Roach with just a few tiddlers and one tiny Perch with around 12:15 netters. Fished til 4pm. A very satisfying day:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I guess you're referring to my post Alan, apologies if I've clogged up the system.I don't have a problem, guess it's my ultra fast broadband.

I've attempted to resize the files and I've also removed one photo, this forum board isn't as photo user friendly as other boards I post these photos on, they tell you immediately if you've exceeded the file size. Think I'll go back to using PostImage which allows you to select which resolution you wish to use.

Let me know if the new edit works better. ?

Reaction score
No it's not just yours mate,I reckon I'm using pigeon post as if there is a series of pics i'm struggling,never used to....

flightliner

Reaction score
A snap decision to go trout fishing last saturday when driving past Ladybower res saw me arrive at 1—30 pm today for a half day catch and release ticket,
There were not many anglers in attendance, in boats or on the bank suggesting the weather was having a negative effect.
My rods set up, one with a floating line the other with a medium sinker and I was ready to go.
Four hours on and I had no indications of a fish, non rising or no one catching wasnt doing my confidence any good, I decided to maake a move to one of the boat platforms and it wasnt long before I had my first indication of a taking fish but sadly it never saw my landing net!!!!
A little later and Bang!
A fish on!
A nice rainbow of some two lbs or therabouts that made me work hard.
Ten minutes later and another, brother chip to the first, hit my net.
Tho really cold I was enjoying myself when another fish hit my fly but this time it cleared the hook, the same a cast later but a simple pull on the rod was all I had by way of indication.
The sun was going down now in the west, it made me think of the guys who pracriced dropping their bouncing bombs prior to the raids on the germen dams in the last war, they would have come over the Derwent dam facing that setting sun but for them doing things in darkness,
Amasing achievement when you see the hills surrounding both dams.
One of the valve towers on the Derwent dam is the Dambusters museum, if ever a member can visit when its open dont miss the chance, its all there to see!!!
Anyway a pleasant drive home thru/ up the peaks and then down to Sheffield.
Pleased with my result on a hard afternoon?
Very!

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_201029.jpg
    IMG_20210414_201029.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210414_192249.jpg
    IMG_20210414_192249.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210414_233316.jpg
    IMG_20210414_233316.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210414_201029.jpg
    IMG_20210414_201029.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210414_192249.jpg
    IMG_20210414_192249.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 67

Reaction score
Lovely write up Mick,I really miss my trouting,still have my gear,funny really,i'm happy to sit on my own for hours,but trouting has always been a social,a mate or two fishing for a few hours then taking a coffee break sitting together for a chat before resuming,don't even see the guys I used to go with anymore,shame...

flightliner

Reaction score
Lovely write up Mick,I really miss my trouting,still have my gear,funny really,i'm happy to sit on my own for hours,but trouting has always been a social,a mate or two fishing for a few hours then taking a coffee break sitting together for a chat before resuming,don't even see the guys I used to go with anymore,shame...
Thanks Alan, I agree 100% about trout fishing being a better outlet for a "social".
I was introduced to it back in the early seventies by a group of fly anglers at my workplace.
Totally absorbing, I did it with a passion for some two years attending places like Tittesworth, eye brook, ladybower, Toft newton, Dreycote, Grafham, several trout waters near sheffield and latterley Pennine trout fishery in Lancashire (what a place that is).
I don't go as often these days as coarse fishing is/has always been my first choice but every now and then the urge to go and wet a fly overcomes me.
I, ve never fly fished a river with serious intent, a shame really, but with the the exception of a now rapidly improving Don in Sheffield town centre (must get down there for a go!) there's not much choice really save for the Derbyshire Derwent.
Maybe I'm not casting my net wide enough!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thought I’d try the town pit today for an early tench. Method feeder with micros (all I had) and double maggot on the hook.
Fishing by 9:30 and packed up at 11!
The chilly NW wind was just too cold to sit in for very long although the sun was warm the wind killed my enthusiasm ...

Grebes nesting and the Canada geese still very vocal. Robins squabbling over my loose fed maggots before flitting back to their nests with a beak full....