How did you get on?

Reaction score
Dave,a word of warning,next time dont put your hand near them,they bite and carry serious diseases....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dave,a word of warning,next time dont put your hand near them,they bite and carry serious diseases....
I can vouch for that and quite a bite it is too!
03180C45-5CAD-4189-8E9F-D5034FCFA8B7.jpeg

seth49

Reaction score
Back on club pool again yesterday, bit cooler than Tuesday in fact it felt cold for a couple of hours after lunch before warming up again, the carp had finished spawning and the Canada geese had trashed the margins to get at the eggs, they’d made a right mess uprooting some of the irises and filling the windward margins with dead vegetation, I did have a walk round in the afternoon and removed a lot of it, after most of the members had gone.

The margins were alive with tench and silvers also after the eggs, so I raked the swim I had picked, to go for the tench etc, set my pole up to fish a top kit plus two, and fed some ground bait and a few 2 mm pellets, tried various baits and worm was the best today.

Soon after baiting up my peg resembled a jacuzzi, lots of bubbles and I started catching a few tench and skimmers plus ide and roach, for a change I fed a margin swim to my right were I could see tench and skimmers showing, tried this with just a top kit, but too many line bites, did get a couple of tench and skimmers but the float never stopped moving.

Back out on the pole line and still catching tench and silvers, quite an enjoyable day, over thirty fish in total, so a nice day out, no sign of any carp they must have been resting after there exertions, there were four fishing for them, but they blanked, see what next week brings might have a change of venue, no photos today, nothing particularly noteworthy.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I went to Lodge Farm near Bicester, there are two large ponds here with natural banks, I went on the larger of the two, this has 3 islands on it, I went on a peg that had an island to my lef and one to my right, and plenty of open water between them.
I went with a minimalistic approach, I took 2 rods ,a pellet waggler rod and a 13' standard waggler rod, I left the latter in the car with the intention of just fishing pellet waggler.
Bait consisted of some left over maggots that were turning to casters.
A tub of hard 6mm pellets which I soaked in F1 pellet oil, small tub of 6mm F1 durable hookers and some Ringers 12mm chocolate orange wafters.
I set up a Gabolino pellet waggler rod with a Prseton Inception 4000 reel loaded with 5lbs Maxima, a Guru 2g loaded short pellet waggler float held in place with 3 gripper stops, hooklength was 4lbs Guru n gauge to a size 14 hook and bait band.a number 8 shot was positioned just above the 6" hooklength to balance the wafter to slow sink it. The float was set at 2'
I didnt bother with the maggots/casters.
I started off by feeding a few soaked 6mm pellets and casting to the feed spot with a wafter hookbait,
After a few missed takes I connected with one of the resident carp that put up a decent fight before being netted,
After a while I decide to use one of the 6mm pellets in the bait band and ditch the wafter, this resulted in a few more carp of various sizes and some decent silvers,
I finished the short session off by direct hooking a 6mm durable hooker, again a few carp and silvers plus a bloody big crayfish when I dropped in a rod length out onto a shallow bar that was in front of me.
Enclosed a couple of pics of fish and peg.
20210603_125500.jpg
20210603_135850.jpg
20210603_145541.jpg

One pic shows a carp with 12mm wafter that was in bait band.

Reaction score
I went to the lake Rob went and had 9 cru's to around 2lbs,eight skimmers to 2lbs also,a few roach to nearly half a pound,two rudd and ten carp two doubles,three around 8/9lb,smallest 3lbs,mainly commons,two mirrors and a ghostie....

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I had one of a similar size from one of our club ponds last year Dave - just keep your digits well clear of that beak ?!

mikench

Reaction score
I was ? after the blank on Wednesday so decided to visit, again, my favourite venue. I set up the DV rod with a pellet feeder and corn and the Acolyte on the float.

IMG_0069.JPG

I had a couple of carp around 5lb on the feeder before I switched to floating bread using the tigger method: I can't tell you what it is as I've signed the OS ( and that's not O for official) Act . I had a couple more mirrors around 8lb and a ?. That was the highlight of the day for a group of anglers on the far bank. Thankfully as it became airborne and as I reeled in the hook pulled. It disappeared as did all the other waterfowl for a few hours. Unfortunately the fish did a runner too.

I then caught 4 crucians on maggot one after the other plus a few small perch, Rudd, roach and gudgeon.

IMG_0067.JPG

This was the biggest but far from the prettiest. I didn't bother weighing it. All in all it was a lovely days fishing and much cooler than last time. I met up with another club member I haven't seen for a year and he started floater fishing 2 pegs down and managed one. He had burnt his arm welding so was troubled with pain so he didn't stay long. I'm always happy when I catch a wide variety of species and today I had 8. Only the tench and alleged barbel failed to appear.

Steve King

Reaction score
I was intending to fish Hawford Bridge today, but I had heard unconfirmed reports of the carp spawning, so I changed my plans.

Instead I tried Alcott Farm Fishery near Alvechurch. It’s a nicely maintained fishery and wasn’t too crowded.

I chose to fish Willow Pool as there was only one other angler there at the time. I caught a carp on a legered worm almost immediately. I set up a float rod with maggot. After a bit of experimentation I found that 4” off the bottom was the most productive and I had a mixture of common carp , mirror-carp and F1s with a few roach and perch.

It wasn’t exactly a fish a Chuck, but I caught steadily throughout the day. A guy set up up in the next peg and struggled all day!

Nothing huge, but an enjoyable day. The fish were in good condition too, no torn mouths.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
How were these creatures killed, I caught one a few years ago and had a right job to pop it off. I did only have a pair of round-bladed scissors to do the job, it took a while to end it.
'Technically' as a non-native / invasive species, I believe that you're supposed to take them to the vet's to be euthanased... at your own expense!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The BF wanted to go trite fishing today as his dodgy knee has grounded him so far and he didn't want to go alone in case he got into bother. Bit odd as there is no way I could carry that great lump back to the car if his leg gave out....or hoick him out if he slipped in. Anyway....off we went and conditions looked cock on....overcast with a gentle breeze albeit from the North and not very warm. He had a trite second chuck but it proved to be a mugfish. 3 hours later he'd had another and I'd had 4 and lost one but it was extremely hard going. I was also frozen stiff.

We then discovered that last weekend there had been a 2 day bank competition on the bank where we were and the fish had taken a right pasting....so we moved to the other end of the ressie where the fish might not be so spooky,the wind was gentler and it felt a lot warmer. I immediately hooked and lost another fish but thereafter could not buy a pull. Grumpy meanwhile kept picking the odd fish up and from 4-2 in front I was 6-4 behind in no time. No matter what I did I couldn't get any interest and I really could not work out why. The odd fish was showing and a Daiwl Bach is normally deadly when they're doing that but not today.....though I did have one savage take that nearly ripped the rod out of me hands but didn't hook up. God knows how it managed to do that.

Anyway....Grumpy was happy with his 6 fish so packed before he overdid it. I stayed on for another 30-40 mins and out of nowhere had another 2 fish and missed another take. By then I'd had enough too so packed up and headed home.

Hard work but I think we did ok to get 6 fish apiece.....one of Phil's being a very handsome brownie.

Pride dictates that I'll need to go back and sort these fish out but not for a bit as I'm away for a few days next week

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Back to the Syndi. res today for an experiment. As I have got attached to hybrid method fishing this closed season I thought I would try it there which is a low stock water.
I luckily had a tench and a common carp (scraping double). As far as I know no one else has used the method there.
It was supposed to be overcast but dry but it chucked it down all day.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Out on the local canal feeder reservoir this morning hoping for tench. A mate turned up and went in the next swim hoping for the same.
Managed to get two bream between 4 & 5lb both covered in spawning bumps but no sign of any fish spawning anywhere,seemed ideal conditions - overcast.mild and the NW breeze had blown the warm surface water onto the bank I was on.Helped my mate weigh in two tench - 5lb & 6lb 2oz females in perfect condition. and he lost another in the weed,thats why he is known as the tench magnet.
Spotted an oyster catcher flying around the reservoir - in Leicestershire, satnav malfunction ?

Reaction score
I had one of a similar size from one of our club ponds last year Dave - just keep your digits well clear of that beak ?!

I've had two over the years,both big dinner plate size,sod trying to kill one and the hell with paying to have one put down....

Reaction score
We see oyster catchers in Bedfordshire quite regularly,in fact there were two pairs nesting on a lake near Bedford on an island two years ago...

Reaction score
Out on the local canal feeder reservoir this morning hoping for tench. A mate turned up and went in the next swim hoping for the same.
Managed to get two bream between 4 & 5lb both covered in spawning bumps but no sign of any fish spawning anywhere,seemed ideal conditions - overcast.mild and the NW breeze had blown the warm surface water onto the bank I was on.Helped my mate weigh in two tench - 5lb & 6lb 2oz females in perfect condition. and he lost another in the weed,thats why he is known as the tench magnet.
Spotted an oyster catcher flying around the reservoir - in Leicestershire, satnav malfunction ?

We have oyster catchers in rural Bedfordshire,in fact a club lake near Bedford had two pairs nesting on an island,very protective they were too.

mikench

Reaction score
Where i fished yesterday there are 2 resident pairs of oyster catchers and they flew over constantly. They remind me of spacecraft from Battlestar Galactica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk