How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
Looks a lovely spot John. By the way I am still using the green holdall you pointed out in BARGAINS. Its getting tatty but at less than £4 delivered from Fishing Republic its a bargain. Must be 2 or 3 years of regular use.:)

My own exploits yesterday were on my club lake. I decided on a finer tackle and maggot and worm day. It made a change from smash and grab feeder fishing.
I caught some skimmers and perch.
Tomorrow If its still hot I will just do an evening into dark session.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is a lovely spot Pete. Westgate village is the hidden gem along that part of the Kent coastline, it's off the main road so the masses that descend on Margate miss it thankfully. Sadly my better half no longer has her parents to care for in Whitstable, don't think it will be too long before we start looking for a property there.

PS my bag is still going strong too. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You did better than me John, set off for the pier for a bit of lure fishing around the piles. However, I bumped into a a mate and for various reasons we went down to the groyne. The sea was clear and calm but the tide was just on the way down. I dropped into the tackle shop for some frozen sand eels which I fancied float fishing. As they had none in stock I bought some mackerel strips which I ended up fishing on the bottom, a couple of 3 to 4 inch strips on largish hooks; I still fancied a bass although the pier would have been better. Sitting with my mate on the bench the rod suddenly started to go round, I leapt up and it started to go over the rails, I just grabbed it in time, I think I might have busted one of my bypasses then everything went slack. Effing canoeist had snagged the line, old boy paddling along, I don't think he even noticed, one rod, one canoe and miles of sea and he caught my line. My mate thought it hilarious, he reckons I cant fish and never catch a fish, I am beginning to believe him. No bites, no nibbles no nothing.
Did spot a couple of maybe peregrines up on the cliff, not sure a bit far off but if so the first time I have seen them here and a few fulmars along side the herring gulls and crows.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I changed one word and shortened your post Mark, would have been a better choice?

You did better than me John, set off for the pier for a bit of lure fishing around the piles. However, I bumped into a a mate and for various reasons we went down to the pub.

?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I changed one word and shortened your post Mark, would have been a better choice?

You did better than me John, set off for the pier for a bit of lure fishing around the piles. However, I bumped into a a mate and for various reasons we went down to the pub.

?
Ha, fishing could drive a man to drink, it used to be women:)

corixa

Reaction score
Grrrrrrrrrrrr,I got up at 4.40am,got everything ready loaded the car and set off to the canal( a stretch South of Leighton Buzzard that I haven't fished for more than twenty years),arriving at 5.30am only to find no car parking available,due to people living on barges,I drove North of the town to find all the stretches I wanted to fish similarly packed,Luton angling club control eleven miles of canal,so apart from parking in tescos car park,little access is available,my diminishing interest at present got a big boost driving around Bedfordshire before unloading my car at 7.20am and putting the car back into the garage,bliss....
I often fish the Tesco's stretch and the the town south stretch and never have problems.
For the Tesco's stretch follow the Vimy Road around the side of the store and eventually it runs parallel with the canal with paths through the hedges.
For Town South try the end of Mentmore gardens for the old railway bridge walkway or to get to the footbridge nearer
to L/B park in Mardle Road. Both stretches are very good. They normal have colour plus flow. Stoke Hammond, Bragenham Side opp. the Dolphin Pub (if it's still there) miles of parking and very good fishing.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I had been having a bit of a “mare” recently with people gate crashing my swims so I decided to change rivers for a while. I went to a great deal of trouble to locate a spot well away from prying eyes but also would hopefully throw up a fish or two. The swim I settled on was little more than a small gap in the dense hedgerow with a steep drop to river level & a narrow ledge where I could just about squeeze myself and a few bits of tackle. Down at water level I was well out of the way but every time a barge passed, I had to jump up the bank to avoid a soaking from the wash. I pruned back some of the vegetation then baited it over a few days until I had a couple of free hours to give it a bash.

Its always exciting when you try a new swim for the first time and I had high expectations. The bottom was nice and clean with some weed growth and a good depth of around 4.5m. Roach were the target and from the first cast I was getting tugs and rattles. I was touch ledgering but missing quite a few which I put down to the fact I was experimenting with a new braided main line and I was probably striking way too early given I was so used to using mono. I eventually connected with one and reeled in a nice Roach, followed by a couple more over the next hour or so. No monsters but it gave me confidence the bait was working. As packing up time neared, I had another good pull and hooked into a bigger fish that plodded about. My initial thought was “Bream” however, something did not seem quite right & I took it easy in case I had hooked into a very large Roach. As it came closer I tried to ease it towards the surface so I could get a glimpse…nothing worse than losing a fish you don’t see, and then a large silver flank rose up from the depths - not a Roach but a whopping great Ide. I eased it into the net and then peered in….it was a good one alright. Deep belly & flanks, and thick across the back. One of the reasons I fish the rivers is because you don’t know what might turn up & on the scales it went 6lb 3oz. Not the target species but a welcome “interlude” and a good start in the new swim.

Not the target species but I was not complaining with this chunk of an Ide....6lb 3oz..
Ide.jpg

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
A super day Gordon shame about the fishing and I was so positive at the outset.
Enjoyed the day thanks Mike, thanks, for the maggots - again just missing a proper bend in the rod. Boy, could that horse fart. It was clearly unconcerned about global warming.

I've never seen so many damsel flies. There must have been 100+ mating pairs at any one time on the patch of arrow heads to my left.

This pair were locked together on reeds to my right for well over 3 hours
CM_Damsels.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Maggot for Ide caught a few, the fish just would not settle. I chased them up and down. My top kits were dizzy with all the chopping and changing.
Finished at 3 pm my maggots were gone, Like Peter Crabtree, I was tormented by willow detritus which did not help my fishing.
Try next time with paste my favourite way to fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My third trip of the year to Samphire Hoe, this time armed with the favoured bait of the venue, ragworm.

Once again the place was near deserted.

36C39B19-5C7C-484E-BADE-092850775C51.jpeg

Made use of a couple of redundant carp rods.

5DDF99CF-C1B5-47F4-BAD4-EEAB3B50C6B7.jpeg

a good hour passed by with little action on the rod rips other than the customary rattle from the pesky crabs. Eventually a light rattle developed into a proper dip of the tip and my first pouting was landed, their bronze colouring is rather handsome.

D54C7D0D-0423-44D0-84A2-0CFEA194DFED.jpeg

A Border Force vessel out on patrol.

F3A48EB7-47DB-4C83-AB63-B40BFC641CD0.jpeg

A few more pouting landed before the species I'd been after for some time, at last, a wrasse, small in size but gave me a huge grin.

853413DC-F701-4B91-B7DF-A117448D9460.jpeg

A few more pouting and then a second slightly larger and more colourful wrasse, they don't half put a scrap for their size.

C75691EA-C3DD-4BA3-8F65-3644029AF39F.jpeg

After high tide the action came to a standstill, crabs weren't even interested. The venue is unpopular with many because of the amount of tackle lost in the rocks.

AFFD1756-14E4-4193-896B-8985DE030B78.jpeg

I was feeling pleased with myself when packing up, having caught my first wrasse, the pouting a first too, and feeling quite smug that I hadn't lost a single item of tackle, my homework doing a recci at low water on a previous trip paid off. My smugness wasn't to last long!

It was still quite early so I decided to stop off at Hythe for a spot of spinning. It's only a further 10 miles along the coast but the conditions were so different, an onshore breeze with a bit of a swell.
05BA36DE-ECF6-4246-9120-45AF8D43369E.jpeg

That had coloured the water up so lure fishing wasn't looking promising but thought I'd give it a few chucks, the "last cast" was a fateful one with my rod snapping two foot from the tip whilst retrieving the lure, a clean break , no line wrap, no snags and not an Acolyte, very odd.

6C2EDEA2-ABD8-4C72-86C8-BE0BE0989D8D.jpeg

I've emailed the company I bought it from in the hope they can get me a spare top section, fingers crossed.

Back to freshwater for the next outing.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
An early start on the big reservoir this morning after driving for miles on recently 'surface dressed' A roads,why don't they get a road sweeper to remove the surplus instead of it cracking windscreens and damaging paintwork ?
Still back to the fishing - 2 method feeder rods on the Optonics,sit back with a coffee watching a red kite give a crow lessons in aerobatics.
Ospreys every 90 mins or so but didn't see any catch their breakfasts.
Ended up with 8 skimmers to around a pound each and four slabs, biggest 4lb ish.One of the skimmers had a large gash from a cormorant on one flank about 4" long showing red muscle below the skin - it swam off strongly though.
About 9am the off switch was operated - all activity stopped. Packed up and strolled down to two others who both were baffled by the lack of action - think the fish have to catch up with the weather etc etc - hawthorn still in flower in June ??

Reaction score
I often fish the Tesco's stretch and the the town south stretch and never have problems.
For the Tesco's stretch follow the Vimy Road around the side of the store and eventually it runs parallel with the canal with paths through the hedges.
For Town South try the end of Mentmore gardens for the old railway bridge walkway or to get to the footbridge nearer
to L/B park in Mardle Road. Both stretches are very good. They normal have colour plus flow. Stoke Hammond, Bragenham Side opp. the Dolphin Pub (if it's still there) miles of parking and very good fishing.

The Dolphin pub is closed,the parking was full of boat dwellers,with barges moored up both banks,my problem with the town stretch(tescos)is it is mainly small fish,I was hoping for some skimmers or proper bream,Chelmscote usedto be good for them,but a fish kill two years ago put paid to it,Dolphin Lane and Three Locks up to Stoke Hammond have decent bream,but the layby at Stoke Hammond was like a pikey camp,so not for me i'm afraid...

john step

Reaction score
Its been so hot I did an evening session today. Packed up at 9.30 pm. Everyones favourite on FM....I had 8 carp three of which were doubles on a mixture of float and a hybrid feeder. There is always something to learn. I kept getting little rattles on the feeder but no takes until I tried not burying the bait . As soon as I cast in with it swinging free the tip went round. No rules in fishing.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
No fishing for me today but a guided walk from a club member with an intimate knowledge of the river Eden in Kent. The guy who organised the walk is a local farmer who’s family have farmed the land the river runs through for four or five generations. Thirteen of us met up at an old pill box at the start of the stretch and Paul talked us through about two miles of various swims. He has cut back the vegetation on most of the likely and accessible swims but hasn’t overdone it. It was hard going as the grass was thigh high for most of the walk. I had I thought over the years covered most of the swims but it seems there are parts I haven’t fished yet, as I didn’t realise we had access to them. Very promising they look too. During the walk I saw a barn owl and a kestrel searching for prey, a yellow wagtail by a waterfall and a kingfisher. I managed to replenish the liquid I lost through perspiration in the local pub on my way back home. All in all a very enjoyable evening and it was good to make the acquaintance of some of the other members of the club.
0d03171b72fcc931ae4ac8febbb9359b.jpg

2e723ea8d9bdc06cdebf47b7b33770cd.jpg

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Back on the canal at Rimmer's Bridge near Lydiate again this afternoon. Fished maggots on the waggler straight down the track about 5 1/2' deep. Pinged a few loose out with each cast & was soon into small Perch - I totally lost count on those but there were only 3 or 4 that justified the net.
20210609_153559.jpg

Quite a few small Roach, a Skimmer, a hybrid, a small Common & 2 Eels - one about 3/4 lb the second about 1 lb.
20210609_165826.jpg

I can't say that Eels are something that I would particularly target but given their reported decline, it's good to see them seemingly doing well here although catching one could be condidered unlucky... catching two is just careless! In fairness, I don't mind the bigger ones and the first was easy enough to unhook and the second shed the hook in the landing net. The biggest bend in the rod however was Terrence!
20210609_154556.jpg

Lovely warm day to be on the bank if a little breezy and rather overcast & sultry but at least the rain stayed away. Back on one of the club ponds on Sunday after a work party - if the forecast is right there'll be no problem at all working up a sweat ??

corixa

Reaction score
The Dolphin pub is closed,the parking was full of boat dwellers,with barges moored up both banks,my problem with the town stretch(tescos)is it is mainly small fish,I was hoping for some skimmers or proper bream,Chelmscote usedto be good for them,but a fish kill two years ago put paid to it,Dolphin Lane and Three Locks up to Stoke Hammond have decent bream,but the layby at Stoke Hammond was like a pikey camp,so not for me i'm afraid...
Surprised there were so many at Dolphins. I guess some "boaters" travel as a pack. Just back luck when they descend on a favoured spot. I agree with you about the layby. Actually when I've pulled in there to check the water clarity, once they realise you're an angler, and not some form of official, they're quite friendly. There's always the picnic area parking at 3 Locks or Slapton is fishing very well for Bream at the moment. I personally like the Luton stretch at Cooks Wharf where there is normally plenty of parking space.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
After looking at the rules for one of the venues I was going to try a d then decided not to go went to Lodge Farm.
I fished the large natural pool. This one is shallow compared to the other one that was dug out. Average two and a half foot deep compared to average five foot deep.
I set up 10metres of pole and 3 topkits, plus an old nine foot silstar kevlar diaflex tip rod, into which I inserted three quarter ounce tip. Mainline was 5lbs Sensor to hooklength of 6lbs Guru gauge with a size 12 lswg hook with baitband connected via quick change bead for ease of changing hooklength, casting weight was a 6g inline olivette.Bait was a 12mm Ringers chocolate orange wafter.
The topkits were set up with a 4 x 14 drennan choppa on 0.14 n gauge to a size 20 b911 fi hook, this was set slightly overdepth in 2' of water, elastic was slip size 6 set slightly pingy.
The 2and top kit was a 4 x12 maver float line was 0.14 shimano Silk shock to a size 18 guru swg hook.this was set dead depth in 15" of water at 10 metres.
The third topkit was a 0.25g drennan crystal dibber set at 9" in just over 2.5 feet of water, line was 0.16 n gauge to a 16 swg hook with baitband.
Bait was a mix of yellow and red maggots , ringers wafters, hard 6mm pellets soak in Dynamite baits F1 pellet oil both for feed and bait. And finally Fjuka white soft pellets,
I cast out the bomb rod to my right about 15 yards away towards an island. Bait was chocolate orange wafter over a scattering of hard soaked 6mm pellets.
I fed 3 swims at 10 o'clock (maggots) 12 o clock ( maggots and Fjuka pellets)and 2 oclock, ( hard 6mm pellets)the 12 oclock swim was at 10 metres the other 2 swims were at 8 metres.
Sport was slow at first on the pole, the maggots picking up some small to decent silvers and a few small carp in the one pound range , I kept a trickle of feed going in at 10 metres and threw a few hard pellets out at 8 metres., hoping to see a few swirls on the surface from feeding fish.
After a few line bites on the bomb rod the tip went round and the first of a few carp graced the net.
I noticed when I was feeding the 10metre line that the bottom was staring to show signs of fish, with it being very shallow ,it was like a margin swim but in open water. A few swirls and mud clouds were present, it was similar in 10 o'clock swim but not as prevalent.
I went over the 10 oclock swim with double maggot on the hook but the stamp of carp were on the small side with a few silvers, The very shallow 2 oclock set up didnt produce on had pellet.
I baited up with a white Fjuka pellet and put a few in a kinder pot with a few maggots and went over the 12 oclock swim,trickling a few in as I lowered the pole rig in the water.
A minute later the float dips and a fair bit of 8 elastic comes out of the topkit, I emptied the kinder pot into the swim as I started to play the fish.
A few minutes later a decent carp of around 4lbs was in the net, This happened more or less I fed the swim and waited for it to cloud up with mud swirls before going over it.
While I waited ,sometimes it was around a minute or others five minutes, I plundered the silvers and small carp on 10 oclock swim. I picked the odd carp from the 2 oclock swim by fishing Fjuka pellet over it at 15" in 2.5 feet of water.
I kept the topkit ready baited to go over the 12 oclock swim after the carp had moved in, it was just a case of one topkit off and replaced by the other.I latched onto what I thought was a small carp by the way it was played, not much elastic out, it must not have realized it was hooked by the way it was " walked " towards my landing net, then it woke up, and yards of 8 elastic zoomed out. Luckily I was down to my top 5 sections so there was a bit of give in the pole as I played the fish instead of down to top 2 or 3 sections.
After a hectic battle trying to keep it from underwater snags and the bankside vegetation i managed to land a common of around 7lb.
I had a good days fishing catching various sized carp and silvers.
People may scoff at the concept of Fjuka pellets and think they are a gimmick, I have tried them on a few waters and never failed to catch.Maybe because i am using a different bait than the usual ones the fish get caught on ,who knows, they work for me so i will keep using them.
A friend who was in a match on Partridge lakes last week got battered by a lad a few pegs away, he weighed in 65lb of various sized F1s all caught on Fjuka pellets, my friend who is a good match angler managed 25lb along with most of the others in the section. The fish weren't shoaled up, the guy who had 65lb had had large weights on the pellets before, ( I have no connection to Fjuka baits) .
The weather was sunny but not to hort and a breeze kept coming and going all day, All in all a pleasant day fishing.a couple of pics of the carp caught on wafter, and Fjuka pellets
20210609_123717.jpg
20210609_144102.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Blimey Mark you must have resembled a whirling dervish with all those rods,top kits , bait , lines etc. You take far more than me. I digress. I decided to go fishing today to dispel the lingering misery that a blank brings. I dispensed with the horse. He's for sale Mark if you are interested ; nice disposition and answers to the name Shergar. Guess where I went?

IMG_0099.JPG

The sun never really got out but it was very pleasant and I made a little friend who stuffed a dozen maggots in his bill and went to feed a brood. He came back three times for more.

IMG_0105.JPG

I fished the Silverlite feeder and had about 20 skimmers, gudgeon, roach and crucian all on pellets soaked in pellet oil which I had never tried before following glowing words from Markcw. Probably fluke.?

I set up the Sphere float rod and started floater fishing with bread. Maybe not the rod you would pick but it performed impeccable and I caught 8 carp. This was the biggest at 11lb but it hadn't spawned by the look of it.

IMG_0108.JPG

All the others were high singles. It was a hoot and I loved every minute. Sadly my day was cut short by a phone call to say my Mum had fallen and was going to A&E. it sounds like a broken hip which isn't good and puts everything back into perspective.