How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
I hope she is OK Mike. Difficult, I clicked the like button like others did but not to like that bit. Let us know how she gets non.

Reaction score
Not good Mike,I was enjoying your post until the last sentences,fingers crossed,hope everything mends well and lets hope it isn't a broken hip....

seth49

Reaction score
Different venue today on of our other club waters, Neil had fished it on Monday and caught six tench between three and five pounds, as my Pb tench is only 3 1/2 pounds I fancied having a go at these, and catch a better one.

So up early and at the fishery by six am, only one there so got the swim I wanted, tackled up with my 9/11 ft Shimano beast master at 11 ft, method feeder with soaked 2 mm pellets, and chocolate orange wafter for bait, the swim has a fallen tree in it, and the tench like the cover it provides, fed four small balls of groundbait, and fished over them.

Within a quarter of an hour there were tench sending clouds of bubbles up, plus a few carp showing as well, had lots of line bites, the tip hardly stopped moving, I thought two of them were proper bites, but no just liners, then a proper bite and the first tench was one,it fought well and weighed just over three pounds, had three more before Neil arrived at 9 am, all around the same size.

Then the tip wrapped round as a carp shot of towards the middle of the lodge, gave me a real scrap before Neil netted it for me, must have played it for ten minutes at least, it didn’t want to give up, it weighed 12 pounds and 10 ounces, a nice common.

After that I had 5 more tench, the best weighed 3 pounds 9 ounces so I upped my best by 1 ounce, after this catch I think we will be back next week, best day I have had for years, enjoyed it.
34D9ABCD-DF0B-4C8D-8713-D3BAB1CE13A1.jpeg
D9175F5A-2239-4624-AED6-A298FB79E222.jpeg
09A7B5E8-7B63-405B-8052-2B11DD409573.jpeg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
An evening session at Cregols was my next attempt at finding the barbel. Failed again! Where are they hiding? Surely they have finished spawning by now?

Beginning to think they disappeared down to the sea during those massive winter floods!

Managed a small chub, so at least no blank!

Cregols chub.jpg

Sunset was magical, so very worthwhile just being there.....

Cregols sunset.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of fishing with Mick (Flightliner) today. We'd fixed up to meet at the tench lake at 3.30pm. I was just getting in the car around 2.30pm when Mick phoned to let me know he'd taken no chances with the traffic and the directions, and had just got there. He was netting a tench as I pulled up. The lake was looking its best

Tm.jpg

So I dropped in next to Mick, who'd set up on peg 3. There was an angler fishing on peg 2 of this 5 peg stretch (how dare he) where 1 and 2 are the most productive, but they're comfy pegs near the car, so what the hell. We were both getting back into regular fishing after fighting our way through a winter of afflictions. Mick was set up with a float rod and a Trudex pin. A tree overhung my swim, so the new pin I've now brought here twice, unused, stayed in the box and I opted to fish the pole. The roach in the water are massively outnumbered by tench, but Mick had brought some hemp, and was catching some nice roach

tm2.jpg

A few times Mick hooked fish I assumed were tench, with hefty splashes on the surface, but which were roach, Mick told me, which slipped the hook. Meanwhile, I caught a few tench. Compared to the swim I last fished in the opposite corner of the lake, the tench were half as numerous and twice as big, which was ok by me. Instead of 12oz to 11/2lb fish, these were 11/2 to 21/2lb.

tm1a.jpg

T
We weren't in the best swims, and the angler who packed up emptied his net a few metres away and our bites stopped for a while. (excuses excuses) but we picked up fish through the evening, with a few quiet spells. I had a particularly quiet spell when I managed to get my line stuck in the tree overhead and had to rig up again, not to mention when I hooked the bottom of my keepnet and when I dredged out 5m of ridiculously thick mono. Mick continue to pick up some nice roach and odd tench, and managed to hook only fish.

It was great to be able to sit out in a tshirt, catch a few fish and chat. Mick was anxious to get back lest the police nab him for a rear light that had just failed, so we wrapped up after 8pm. There were a few tench in my net, although the picture is so bad (low sun) there could be anything in there

tm4.jpg

Mick had a fair few tench too, but I got the impression he was particularly pleased with the roach

tm5.jpg

tm6.jpg

Cheers, Mick. Thanks for an enjoyable evening. I'll look forward to meeting up somewhere over your way before long.

Keith M

Reaction score
It was a bit cloudy and slightly cooler today so my son and I decided to have a few hours this evening after a couple of Carp on a club lake before the weather gets any hotter; as we’re due a scorcher of a weekend.

However when we got there we almost had the lake to ourselves which surprised us a bit as there have been some good Carp coming out over the last few months (before they started to spawn; and which we thought had now finished); We didn’t see any surface movement from any Carp; and unusually our baits were not being swallowed by any Carp either; however I did get one take but it was not from a Carp; it was from a wells Catfish and although I dislike catfish with a vengeance (especially as some nutter decided to stock them into the lake illegally) at least it saved me a blank; and it did put up a fairly prolonged fight; but I would much rather it had been a Carp or a Tench :)

FDA674-DE-965-F-4284-8073-E798-CCE628-A1

Keith

image.gif

Last edited:

Reaction score
Nice to see Mick and Kev get amongst a few...

on Wednesday I went to the deep fishery and had one male tench of 5lbs 4ozs,my only bite,but I did see fish,which was encouraging,yesterday I fished the crucian water and had a day on the pole,feeding micros(mainline cell)with odd cube of meat,had 18 roach between 4/10ozs,14 crucians/b.goldfish to 2lbs 8ozs,11 skimmers to l.8,2 mirrors about 4lbs,and a pretty little tench ,a pleasant day with bites all day that you had to work for,just up my street...

flightliner

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of fishing with Mick (Flightliner) today. We'd fixed up to meet at the tench lake at 3.30pm. I was just getting in the car around 2.30pm when Mick phoned to let me know he'd taken no chances with the traffic and the directions, and had just got there. He was netting a tench as I pulled up. The lake was looking its best

View attachment 15436

So I dropped in next to Mick, who'd set up on peg 3. There was an angler fishing on peg 2 of this 5 peg stretch (how dare he) where 1 and 2 are the most productive, but they're comfy pegs near the car, so what the hell. We were both getting back into regular fishing after fighting our way through a winter of afflictions. Mick was set up with a float rod and a Trudex pin. A tree overhung my swim, so the new pin I've now brought here twice, unused, stayed in the box and I opted to fish the pole. The roach in the water are massively outnumbered by tench, but Mick had brought some hemp, and was catching some nice roach

View attachment 15438

A few times Mick hooked fish I assumed were tench, with hefty splashes on the surface, but which were roach, Mick told me, which slipped the hook. Meanwhile, I caught a few tench. Compared to the swim I last fished in the opposite corner of the lake, the tench were half as numerous and twice as big, which was ok by me. Instead of 12oz to 11/2lb fish, these were 11/2 to 21/2lb.

View attachment 15439

T
We weren't in the best swims, and the angler who packed up emptied his net a few metres away and our bites stopped for a while. (excuses excuses) but we picked up fish through the evening, with a few quiet spells. I had a particularly quiet spell when I managed to get my line stuck in the tree overhead and had to rig up again, not to mention when I hooked the bottom of my keepnet and when I dredged out 5m of ridiculously thick mono. Mick continue to pick up some nice roach and odd tench, and managed to hook only fish.

It was great to be able to sit out in a tshirt, catch a few fish and chat. Mick was anxious to get back lest the police nab him for a rear light that had just failed, so we wrapped up after 8pm. There were a few tench in my net, although the picture is so bad (low sun) there could be anything in there

View attachment 15440

Mick had a fair few tench too, but I got the impression he was particularly pleased with the roach

View attachment 15441

View attachment 15442

Cheers, Mick. Thanks for an enjoyable evening. I'll look forward to meeting up somewhere over your way before long.
Kevin, the guy next to me in peg two did neither of us a favour putting all those Tench back.
Still a good afternoon to be out together catching what we could afterwards tho no more barbless hooks for me if those roach turn up again!
Many thanks for sharing the day, next time some river Don urban greyling maybe!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write up Kev and good to see Mick up and about and catching those beautiful green bars of soap. What would Mrs M say if you had taken that home Keith? You would be on gruel for a month. I do like this thread.
Yes, lovely write up and so good to see Mick looking fit and happy . . . .

Badgerale

Reaction score
I had one bite all day at a club lake, which was one better than anyone else seemed to have.

Luncheon meat ledgered against island reeds led to a screeching run, and hitting into a good fish which powered through every patch of weed in my swim and sent clumps up to float on the surface.

To my joy, what I assumed was a good size carp, when it finally hit the surface rolled over a lovely olive green.

It absolutely demolished my PB at 7lb 1 oz.

No photos because, to be honest, it was an ugly f--cker, with one gammy eye and some shredded fins - definitely been through the grinder that one. Still, chuffed to bits that my closed season goal of catching a tench was met with a few days to go.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another visit to the local canal feeder reservoir,blanked yesterday with only a couple of liners. Steady SW breeze and cloudy,water warm - should be just right . . . for sitting there with nothing doing until just after 7am when a sudden bite had me striking into hefty patch of weed.Must have been a tench. Had to wait until about 10.15 for the next bite,straight into the weed again but keeping the pressure on the fish eventually came free and then went ape.Managed to net it - a female tench at 4lb 7oz - left eye missing otherwise unmarked.
Kites,buzzards,skylarks,reed buntings and the regulars to keep the interest going.

john step

Reaction score
Its difficult to decide what to do for the best in this current heatwave. Luckily today it was cloudy if somewhat still hot.
The decision was made for a lazy day behind buzzers which resulted in just one run and a modest mirror.
The beauty of it was though in this uncrowded corner that I had the whole lake to myself and didnt speak to anyone all day.
I will even admit to a snooze after my sandwiches.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Had a day on Dunham fisheries old pool yesterday hoping for a few Crucians. Remembered to take everything, tackle, bait the lot:)

No pics, it hasn't changed much and the fish were a bit battered. Started on maggot. It's always nice to get something out first chuck whatever it is. A small Rudd, at least it's something. Unusual to see the Heron perched in the top of a tree opposite getting a lot of grief from the gulls. I've seen the gulls taking tiny tiny fish off the surface before but they're getting ambitious picking 3"+ fish out. Very pleasant day, overcast not too hot, with a gentle pleasant breeze. Fished at about 10M in front no sign of any Crucians by midday. I'd been loose feeding a few caster in front of some Lilies to my left. Adjusted the float dropped in by the Lilies and got my Crucian but that was it, just the one of maybe 6 oz. Stuck it out til around 4pm on the point of packing up with nothing much to show but something told me to stick at it. Had two foul hooked with just a single scale to show for it then at about 5 a small mirror, around 3:4lb. The guy that had been to my left came chatting as he was leaving and said he'd struggled with one Crucian, one small mirror and a snap off. I had a take while he was talking but didn't get the hook set properly (not paying attention). It came off after a few seconds.