How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
I sneaked out for a quick couple of hours to my local lake with my light lure kit. Manged two jacks . I had a rubber on to start which is very lifelike
but no hits. Changed to a hard vibrating creation that looks nothing like real and had a total of 3 hits. Strange things pike.

bracket

Reaction score
Recently I sent a daiwa 125M reel for a service and got it back on Thusday. It came back like a new reel, having had the main gearing and various other bits and pieces replaced. The total cost, including postage, was £26, plus a free spare spool. I was well pleased with that. For no apparent reason I have been losing grayling off the hook, so wanted to try an alternative:
20211204_180150.jpg
They are marked up as size 20 but to me I reckon they are more like an 18. Anyway I tied five up on some 0.13 reflow power and off to the river Friday morning to give them a go. I got there at 0745 with the river in good nick and conditions perfect. First run through on the stick float and red maggot produced this:
20211203_090721.jpg
and for the next two hours I took more of the same, with one around two and a half pounds. I no longer take photos of larger fish I can't easily handle, because of the distress factor. Having stood for the over two hours I was best described by Johnny Kidd, "Quivers down my backbone and tremors in my thigh bone. So time to knock it on the head. I finished with 29 fish, 6 trout and 23 grayling. I was reasonably pleased with the hooks. I only lost 4 fish, 3 of which I'm sure were trout and that's par for the course anyway. The hooks are fine and very strong, no problem nicking a maggot on. The reel fished a dream, so all in all a satisfactory morning. Pete

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A deadbaiting trip to the local canal feeder reservoir this morning, flat calm,mirror like surface with fish priming all over. The kit never seems to get lighter but at least it kept me warm lugging it up the field side to a swim which would offer some shelter if the wind picked up.
Three rods set up and cast out,sat back with a mug of coffee as sunrise approached watching two kingfishers darting up and down.
After about an hour I decided to give the spinning rod an airing and on about the fifth cast I reeled in a jack of about three pounds and that was it it, no more action whatsoever. Very pleasant in the sunshine watching a pair of red kites performing aerobatics over the fields on the far bank until the wind wound itself up and eventually got fed up holding on to the brolly and packed up for warmer surroundings.

nottskev

Reaction score
A deadbaiting trip to the local canal feeder reservoir this morning, flat calm,mirror like surface with fish priming all over. The kit never seems to get lighter but at least it kept me warm lugging it up the field side to a swim which would offer some shelter if the wind picked up.
Three rods set up and cast out,sat back with a mug of coffee as sunrise approached watching two kingfishers darting up and down.
After about an hour I decided to give the spinning rod an airing and on about the fifth cast I reeled in a jack of about three pounds and that was it it, no more action whatsoever. Very pleasant in the sunshine watching a pair of red kites performing aerobatics over the fields on the far bank until the wind wound itself up and eventually got fed up holding on to the brolly and packed up for warmer surroundings.

Hardy stuff! I'm waiting for a temperature rise. I took a stroll round the nature reserve and a passing ornithologist told me the white, swan-necked heron-type bird I was curious about was a Great Egret. We get smaller ones on the river, but this was a new one on me.

neil1970

Reaction score
Lovely to catch up with Simon yesterday.
We chilled drinking tea and vaping for an hour or so.
I was persuaded a couple of weeks ago to enter a lure fishing completion (I hate competitions, and am not a competitive person) The last 4-5 ones I've entered I've never caught a thing. I think sitting with Simon and not feeling any pressure, and just glad to be out for longer than an hour on the bank did the trick

Attachments

• 20211204_135939.jpg
    20211204_135939.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 20211204_145009.jpg
    20211204_145009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • 20211204_154820.jpg
    20211204_154820.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 264322871_10158022844525855_7493489798565982972_n.jpg
    264322871_10158022844525855_7493489798565982972_n.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 89

terry m

Reaction score
After a hearty lunch and despite a cutting cold wind I took a wander down the Avon.
Found a nice slack and lobbed out a sardine under a deadbait pencil, (fave method on river), and whilst setting up the second rod with a paternoster the float was away and a 14lb 11oz female graced the net.

Lobbed the rig back in and continued to set up the paternoster, and again it sailed away. This time 15ib 2oz, fighting like a demon.

Eventually got both rods in, but nothing else. Happy with 2 mid double perfect condition pike. Even the wind eased up.

Dajo

Reaction score
Watch them little beggars,they love diving on your bait,sneakily diving from a vantage point out of view to grab some morsels then scooting back to its starting point,continually repeating until nothing is left,ive watched this happen for the last two,maybe three years in clear water,sods....?
This is interesting. I was fishing on Saturday. After roach in 10ft at local lake.
I put some groundbait on the bottom. I didn't catch as good as previous similar outings.
Some 20 yds away I noticed a couple of grebes diving and coming up obviously eating something.
I didn't associate it with my groundbait. Could they have been at it, or is what they eat big particles and not groundbait.
I haven't seen them around before, come to think of it

Reaction score
If they were greater crested grebes it would be unlikely,more likely picking off small fish attracted by your groundbait,which in turn their presence would scare feeding fish,little grebes,dabchicks call them what you will will keep diving until they have eaten every maggot,worm,caster,pinkie,grains of hemp etc and return periodically to check more food items have magically teleported there,bit like robins really,more of a pest than a pleasure though....

nottskev

Reaction score
The appetite of some birds is astonishing, Ducks in particular.

It's common they watch you pick up a catty, and on your marks, set go. I was at one place in the summer where they seemed to read your mind as to when you wanted to feed. It turned into a competition to get some feed in the swim that would sink before they could get there. Two 8mm pellets plopped in 20 m away, then six over your bomb when they went for the first two. Some bread chucked up the bank to get them out of the water for a bit. And so on. I suppose they have nothing better to do.

Badgerale

Reaction score
Went for a few hours at a reservoir, I knew it would be tough so I decided to hedge my bets; feeder rod out with a juicy worm for bream or carp, and a deadbait out for the pike.

3 hours in the cold, mud and drizzle produced precisely bugger all.

I think that might be it until we get back to double figures. I don't mind blanking, but I'd like to be half comfortable while doing it.

Mind you, I always say that but once the fingers unfreeze you start thinking about your chances again.

john step

Reaction score
Off to my local lake today. Sat under brolly with alternate rain and snow showers. I saw some roach topping a long way out so I cast deadbaits in that area and had a take from this one at 17lb 6 ozs.
I catch a few pike now and again but I can say I have never had one pull back as hard as this one did. Would have done a carp proud.
The blood on the mat is mine not the pikes. Just a little love bite.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Today the forecast showed 8c and little rain, the best forecast of the week. So I took the opportunity to try out my latest rod creation.

My old 13' 1-3 oz bass surf rod had gradually become a 9' 11" heavy duty quivertip rod, perfect for work amongst the many swims surrounded by low hanging tree branches. I was never likely to use the bass rod again, so bits of it (decent Scottish made Daiwa blank) gradually morphed into a useful 2.5 lb TC rod with a 4 ozs quivertip spliced in.

It's a gamble cutting hollow carbon tips to splice in solid carbon quiver sections. Very much a judgement call where to cut to get a progressive curve around the join, get it wrong and all the strain is on the weakest point.

So it was important to give it a try quickly, despite very cold river conditions and a pretty full on flow after recent rains.

My recent found barbel swim was my choice, though the chance of barbel low in the conditions. But there are other species that like the massive back eddy here. Bream most likely, but a fair chance of a winter carp.

December full river.jpg

FIshing buddy Alistair joined me, for a few hours the weather was very kind to us and we had a few fish. Only bream were feeding but we were grateful with that. I had three and Alistair just the one, all between three and four pounds.

The first did the bream flip after netting, threw the hook and slid back into the river - a quick release!.....

Bream 3lb 13.jpg

That shoal moved to Alistair and he had one of similar size and missed some bites.

When they returned to me I had two more, might have been the same fish as the sizes seemed identical!

Bream December 21.jpg

The rod chucked a big, well loaded feeder an easy 50 yds. At the end of the session I changed to an 85gr grip lead, this nearly made it to the opposite bank 70 yds+. The 4ozs quivertip sat nicely in a decent flow - so I am pleased with the "new" rod. Just need a big fish on it now!!!

At this time of year I am satisfied to catch whatever the river cares to give up! Good three hours on the bank! ?

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
A bitterly cold wind straight down the Fossdyke today. Too windy for me to use the pole so out came the old Shakespeare wand. I only got 7 fish in 4 hours. A decent enough roach, the biggest silver bream I have caught and small roach and perch. I retreated at 3 PM to get back before dark.

nottskev

Reaction score
A bitterly cold wind straight down the Fossdyke today. Too windy for me to use the pole so out came the old Shakespeare wand. I only got 7 fish in 4 hours. A decent enough roach, the biggest silver bream I have caught and small roach and perch. I retreated at 3 PM to get back before dark.

Good for you! That was a chilly wind. I sat in the cold for a couple of hours outside a hospital eye dept doors, waiting to be called.

rayner

Reaction score
It's common they watch you pick up a catty, and on your marks, set go. I was at one place in the summer where they seemed to read your mind as to when you wanted to feed. It turned into a competition to get some feed in the swim that would sink before they could get there. Two 8mm pellets plopped in 20 m away, then six over your bomb when they went for the first two. Some bread chucked up the bank to get them out of the water for a bit. And so on. I suppose they have nothing better to do.
I never bother about ducks or any wildfowl, so long as they are not diving near my hook then I can ignore them. Ducks are welcome to the offerings they get. When fishing in the margin I enjoy them being there. I think they attract fish I even try to get a few pellets or whatever I may be feeding on to the grass to force ducks to get in and out of the water to colour up the margin that attracts fish especially carp. They soon scoot away when my pole goes down the edge.

peytr

Reaction score
I had the first real winter roach session yesterday. Drove to a small harbour which is known to hold roach in winter, about 50km from my home. The weather was fantastic. There where about 7 anglers at the dead end, catching roach. I decided to settle about 50m more outwards.

I only caught some micro roach and perch, while they were continuing to catch good sized fish. We'll never know if these were in my swim or not.

Besides the weather the highlight was catching small perch ons bread punch. They must have considered moving bread to be live bait enough for them to try it.