How different two waters are...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
This year I joined a lake for its roach fishing, it is/or can be deep, depending on how much water is sprayed onto the farmers fields, now I've recently stopped fishing another deep lake which I would have thought would have fished similarly, fat chance, on my previous water pellet was the method in the summer with lots of bites to be had, on my new water you struggle to get a bite on pellet, from anything, I'm struggling to sort them, apparently it's full of small perch which makes maggot until the water cools(I hope) dufficult, answers on a post card, lol....

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I revert to sweetcorn when roach fishing where there are small fish taking maggot baits. Wheat is good too if I have remembered to boil some up before going..

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I'm finding it quite difficult as the distances having to be fished mean I'm often at full catapult range, with 6mm pellet, corn etc so smaller baits are going to be a real issue, plus the fact that I really would prefer a light hookbait option, with the hook buried because of a horrible black weed on the bottom, it's sparse, but as we all know, a tiny bit on the hook and the fish refuse to touch it, I tried breadline earlier in the year with no success, maybe I should retry it...

@Clive

Reaction score
Spod, spomb? Babycorn pellets? Or boil milled maize until it is sticky. Add some cornflour and stir into a porridge. When cool enough to touch roll into small balls and allow to fully cool. They can be catapulted out and will disolve before they touch the bottom.

Floating fake sweetcorn hook bait popped up a couple of inches with a small shot anchoring it. Add a skin from fresh sweetcorn if the roach won't take an artificial.

Philip

Reaction score
I did quite well fishing for Roach on some very deep lakes in the Alps that were full of ravenous Perch using corn as bait under a slider float.

Does something like sticky mag work on corn ? ....might be a bit too wet...

peterjg

Reaction score
Four pieces of 8mm punched bread on a size 10 hook over a bed of the wheat. Flavour both the bread and wheat with geranium oil and HP brown sauce.