''How important are your fishing pictures''

B

binka

One reason I would like to take more pictures with myself in them is to remind me how good looking I am the more I grow older...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, I guess they are of very little interest to anyone but me. But I'm an avid amateur snapper and like others I have a lot of old stuff which provoke much laughter from many quarters! I've just returned to Dorset and have been revisiting old haunts and memories (not usually a good idea) but to my surprise one of those visits produced a very nice result - same swim but 38 years apart:

FB_IMG_1441712064041.jpg

View image in gallery

There have also been a few occasions when I've got very lucky and have managed to get images of the other reasons we go fishing:

The bad one

Reaction score
A few points that I see in this thread emerging, taking scene shots, group shots and the trophy shot.

The first to me are important for several reasons - they show ‘change’ for good or bad to the environment we fish in. So for me they’re always something I will take as a picture taker, reticent to say photographer. They become a historical pictorial record that at some point in the future may be useful to future angling generations.
On this note I’ll make a general observation about angling per se base on my experience of involvement in angling at a national level. Angling is atrocious when it comes to keeping historical records be that written or pictorial. I can think of no other hobby, pastime, sport that’s as bad as angling.

Take train spotting as example, the groups of enthusiasts usually have a historian/archivist who keeps and records both written and photographic records and who diligently catalogues most things, photographs in particular. Does angling from club to national level?…Nope! Or rarely! And such people that it does have, do it on an individual basis (for the love of it) with little or no support from the powers that be at any level. When they die the amassed records die with them and finds its way into some skip.
Read this and weep Angling Trust! Why have you not got a historian/archivist on your payroll? Every other national organisation with your aspirations have!

There’s a true adage that goes, “If you don’t learn from history, you are likely to repeat the same mistakes again!” And the only way to learn from that history is by keeping that historic record. Oh and BTW I’m not a historian but do recognise the value of good historical records.

Group shots again are important but more to the individual for personal reasons of friends lost, places visited and times enjoyed in good company with likeminded soles.

Trophy shots again are just that in my book, personal to me. Rarely does anyone see them but me. Others may have a different reason for taking them but that’s up to them. Just don’t bore me with endless, you must see this fish and that fish, and this one went XXX. By all means show a trophy shot to me if relevant to the conversation we’re having, but if to big yourself up to me, I can tell you my thoughts after you’re gone will be, “What an egotistical idiot he was!”

These days, if I mug shot 3 fish a year, I’ve had a good year, as I’ll have had 3 PBs.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

A classic case of relevant to the conversation Neil. Great shots mate other than the middle one, that looks rather dodgy to me :D

law

Reaction score
They are very important. I always bring my camera. My specimen club has a private forum, and every single fishingtrip has to be reported. A picture always brings a little extra to the report. I also document every fish that is out of the ordinary, to post on the club forum.

Doing this, we have managed to assemble a large database, covering venues and hotspots in our area. Which we all benefit from.

Totally the opposote to my syndi. A members word is all that's needed.

Harvey

Reaction score
Totally the opposote to my syndi. A members word is all that's needed.
Well, not exactly. We don't have any kind of competition within the club. Apart from keeping lists of clubrecords and personal bests. In these cases we dont need to document anything. If I say I caught a 2 lb roach, no member will doubt it. But I will still take a picture of the fish and my tapemeasure along side it, to document the length of the fish. For the benefit of myself, and of my clubmates. They like to look at pictures of fine specimens, and I like to keep records of my specimen fish. When I'm fishing alone, I never take trophyshots, just the fish on the mat.

If I choose to do so, I can enter the fish for the National ass. of coarsfishing's annual specimen competition. They need a photo. But even they will accept a photo that do not document the length of the fish (i.e. a throphyshot). They will not request documentation of weight.

If I should be lucky enough to break a national record, I will need a witness as well.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Harvey....So what are your national records, say for roach ??

It cannot be bigger than the 4lb 3oz fish I saw in a pub last week....can it ???

Harvey

Reaction score
Harvey....So what are your national records, say for roach??
1160 gram. Landed in a lake hundered of miles north of their natural habitat. They have been spread to a small number of lakes in this area. One fish over 1300 gram (close to three pounds) has been caught in a net.

The biggest roach landed in the east part of southern Norway, where they have their natural habitat, is 1000 gram.

It's the same thing in Sweden. The Swedish record, 1726 gram, comes from a lake in Högtrask, Swedish Lappland, some ten kilometers north of the arctic circle.

They tend to get longer and leaner, and do not resemble their chubby southern counterparts very much. The scales often get a golden hue. I don't know why, maybe living in crystal clear wather without much bottom vegetation plays a role.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Our Syndicate insists on pics, both sides, of all Mirrors (and commons with recognisable features) over 15lbs. Other pics of smaller carp or other species are optional. Our fishery management is Carp orientated, the same principles would apply to other species if they were the primary focus.

It has allowed us to use the information in our fishery management and showed the truth in the old adage that you catch a third of the fish regularly, a third occasionally and the other third hardly ever!

IMO, you can't manage properly and make correct decisions without this info.

On a personal level, I stopped taking pics for me a long time ago. Occasional very special fish maybe, otherwise only to comply with fishery rules.

Stu

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I keep a fishing diary - my "Fishing Reports" which go way back to when i was about 13 (and i am now over 50). This has helped me retain a strong memory of all things fishing which is way superior to my memory of just about everything else!

It is the pictures of the places i fished and the friends i fished with that are most valued. I was scanning some old negatives from the 1980s the other week and amongst them found several photos i had long since lost or given away - eg of an old fishing partner holding a barbel who i havent seen for decades and who i had almost forgotten about. All very nostalgic of course.