How many winders in the seat box?

peytr

Reaction score
Every now and then one has to contemplate life's important themes. One of these clearly is: how many pole rig winders do you carry as an optimum. I have a drawer with 21 in them and 6 longer ones in a second drawer and recently added a small box with 10 more winders. However I keep switching between lean and complete.....

How many do you carry and why?

nottskev

Reaction score
I've half a dozen of these boxes - they're sold for holding A4 size doc's - each with floats for different kinds of places I fish. They fit neatly under the seat lid. Much lighter than a) adding layers of trays to seatboxes and b) carrying one's entire collection around. So the answer's somewhere between 10 and 24.

pw.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
In my seat box I had 4 draws holding winders. My seat box now is relegated to my tackle room never to be used again. All I take now is what I may need if paste fishing I take four rigs, if fishing pellet or caster four rigs up in the water needs more rigs with a few spare replicas, in this case, I take ten.
Other rigs are not needed I decide how I will fish buy bait to compliment my rigs then fish the way I decided with baits I buy.
Very rarely does my daily plan not work.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Boxes and boxes of the bloody things. Probably 300 ready to go

my Angling (name dropper!) England international mate Si willsmores range of rigs are spot on. @Benwick sports.

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
Reading your replies with great interest another question arises (which may have been lurking in the dark all the time): if you have hundreds of them: how long do you keep them? I usually replace Nylon after fishing one or two matches. The latter in case of not catching any big ones, but I mean in case you didn't use them?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In my Preston seat box close to 60 ready made rigs but many, many more in boxes in the garage . . . . dependng on the venue then I'll switch out a tray or part of a tray.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
No, I do not keep changing the line on the winder, if I do use an old rig on a winder I will remake the rig before use.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
One instinctively knows when a rig is knackered. New hook every outing. Most rigs, which don’t suffer damage are reusable.

silvers

Reaction score
Every now and then one has to contemplate life's important themes. One of these clearly is: how many pole rig winders do you carry as an optimum. I have a drawer with 21 in them and 6 longer ones in a second drawer and recently added a small box with 10 more winders. However I keep switching between lean and complete.....

How many do you carry and why?
i tend to fish three types of venues and therefore have rigs made for each (obviously only carry the appropriate)
narrow canal/drain ... mostly top 3 (Daiwa) or shorter, with pole floats varying from 3x10 styls up to about 0.6g (c. 30 in total)
slow to moderate flow rivers (eg Nene to Trent) without too much depth. Made on top 4 or 5, Another 30 or so, from 0.2g up to 2g, plus 12 stick floats on winders.
Fast and deep powerful rivers (Wye or Shrewsbury for me). Bigger stick floats 12 or 14 no.4 shot, lo get whip rigs 3-5g, flat floats from 3g to 20g, bleak rigs ... 20 odd winders.

so approx 86 in total ... but never more than 36 (the stick floats are all doubled up). They all fit under the lid or between the two sliding sections of my AS1 box.
Reading your replies with great interest another question arises (which may have been lurking in the dark all the time): if you have hundreds of them: how long do you keep them? I usually replace Nylon after fishing one or two matches. The latter in case of not catching any big ones, but I mean in case you didn't use them?
when not in use mine are “lurking in the dark all the time” - so nylon and hooks don’t deteriorate.
Usually I’ll trash the rig through a tangle before i feel like it all needs replacing.

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
New hook every outing. Most rigs, which don’t suffer damage are reusable.
I started re-using hooks this season. It's a hobby in itself because I need a microscope to check them before use. I replace lines after one heavy match or two lighter (less result that is).

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I haven't used the seatbox in a few year but I would say around 30 in the box but others in spare trays.

rayner

Reaction score
What I don't do is wind the line round the winder tightly,
I have seen a few rigs when unwound with links in the line where it has gone round the winder very tight
The main reason I change lines is the kinks that can form in rigs on winders. When I take a rig off my pole I cut off the hook link before winding the rig on the winder, All my winders are 20 cm slide winders. I used to use smaller winders but too many kinks forced my change to the longer 20 cm.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The main reason I change lines is the kinks that can form in rigs on winders. When I take a rig off my pole I cut off the hook link before winding the rig on the winder, All my winders are 20 cm slide winders. I used to use smaller winders but too many kinks forced my change to the longer 20 cm.
I have short ones for shallow dibber, but recently put them on 18cm winders along with the majority of my pole rigs, I use the Preston double winders but only put one float on them.

flightliner

Reaction score
None, I just feel that they are'nt suited or required for the kind of angling I do.
Thats not to say I would'nt use them if say, for example, I was ever to return to match angling (unlikely now at my age) and took up using a pole to fish.
They are an essential item nowadays and so useful when it comes down to being able to carry and change a rig efficiently.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I am going to downsize my seatbox,
I have seen the Trabbucco genius canal stool type. The one with 25mm legs can clip underneath when not in use and box can carried like a shoulder bag,and pole winder space under seat plus room for disgorgers shot etc.
Not sure on the 36mm leg version,
Seeing most of my accessories can do both size legs I won't have to buy any, apart from a brolly holder if go for 36 mm legs. Separate drawer or base unit available. It's a smaller footprint than my Preston box. Downsize will mean just carry essentials and not for 20 what if scenarios.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I've half a dozen of these boxes - they're sold for holding A4 size doc's - each with floats for different kinds of places I fish. They fit neatly under the seat lid. Much lighter than a) adding layers of trays to seatboxes and b) carrying one's entire collection around. So the answer's somewhere between 10 and 24.

View attachment 17610
Where are these available from kev

nottskev

Reaction score
Where are these available from kev

You can get them in any stationers, Mark. I've got some from W H Smith, some from Rymans. They call them something like A4 Document Cases, and they couldn't have done better if they were making them for storing pole winders! They're slim, so you're limited to floats/winder below 2g, but that's 99% of mine anyway.