''How much further can tackle advance''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Some of the rods available today are really nice tools, as indeed are reels.

But for me it would have to be lines, in particular braid's. Not everyones cup of tea I know, but braid has made a ''huge'' impact on my lure fishing.

I don't envisage any major improvement in tackle in the immediate future.

What do you think?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with you Derek, particularly on the potential for improvements to lines in the future.

As to other "improvements" in rods etc, only newer materials might tempt me to buy different rods, and my reels are as "modern" as I like.

We have seen the introduction of things like high end bite alarms and bait boats (I have both b.t.w.) but surely if those "improvements" continue then maybe we will have equipment that does it all for us? Casts, baits, strikes and lands the ruddy fish while we watch it all on a screen?

trotter2

Reaction score
Personally I draw a fine line between what is a genuine improvement to the sport of angling and what is technically all skills removed fish bagging.

steve2

Reaction score
Rods and reels are advanced as I need them to be and can't see that changing in my life time. There are others who believe that advancements in fishing tackle stopped with split cane rods and reels of of a certain vintage.

steve2

Reaction score
Rods and reels are advanced as I need them to be and can't see that changing in my life time. There others who believe that advancements in fishing tackle stopped with split cane rods and reels of of a certain vintage.
Anyone tried a remote controlled drone instead of a bait boat.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
How about "intelligent" line?. Sensors in the reel could show distance to the end of the line eg length of cast or distance to the fish you are playing. The line could automatically light up when playing a fish in the dark. There would be no need for shot when float fishing as the line density could be varied. And all at the bargain price of £87.50 per metre!!.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Rods and reels are advanced as I need them to be and can't see that changing in my life time. There are others who believe that advancements in fishing tackle stopped with split cane rods and reels of of a certain vintage.

A plastic tax like they have on plastic bags should be introduced to encourage it:)

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Only joking but don't tell the chancellor, on a serious note I am pretty sure this Graphene material will find its way into fishing tackle one day.

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Not sure about this one, I suspect the angling community would be against any major changes. Minor improvements yes, but I cant see anything radical being adopted easily.

I spotted something the other day which made me think, wish I could find the details now as I think it would have ruffled a few feathers on here.

It was a kickstarter project for a float with a small camera built in, the camera pointed down in the water so you could see your bait, where it was sitting and you could see any fish approaching. The image was broadcast to your phone/tablet.

I am in 2 minds about this one, I would be curious to have a quick look at the bottom to see the fish moving around in their natural environment but I couldn't see myself staring at a screen all day while out fishing. It also seems to be an unfair advantage? but I am sure there would be people who would love it.

I will keep looking to see if I can find the details to share on here.

EDIT - I found the details, posted them on a new thread for comments.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Angling is no different from most aspects of life, full of developments that promise to change the user's life but dismally fail the market test and, rightly, wither on the vine.

The spring loaded rod striker and, my personal favourite, the Newark needle float being notable examples. Genuine steps forward are surely a rarity in a sport where one man's favourite rod, reel, etc is another man's least

B

binka

I reckon the person that invents "Quiet Velcro" is in for a shed full of money.

As soon as I get to a swim and un-Velcro the chair back from its folded seat position I'm met with that cringing noise that seems just as painfully loud no matter how slowly and delicately I try to do it.

Same every time I go for a waz but this time it's the bib'n'brace.

Damned noisy stuff.

john step

Reaction score
The hooks we have available are miles better nowadays but if someone could invent a neutral density non metallic hook, perhaps which could take on flavours???

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm surprised Skip never got one to match with his pearlesant white, double handled, Stradic.................;)

Pearlescent white eh ? Lets not be shy,call the colour what it is...catspunk.

Anyway,orange rod & catspunk reel is so last year,darlings ! This year's must have accessories are Jimmy Choo's Black Watch tartan Delkims with lime green hangers.

Gok

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I reckon the person that invents "Quiet Velcro" is in for a shed full of money.

As soon as I get to a swim and un-Velcro the chair back from its folded seat position I'm met with that cringing noise that seems just as painfully loud no matter how slowly and delicately I try to do it.

Same every time I go for a waz but this time it's the bib'n'brace.

Damned noisy stuff.

The fact that the chair is Binka-proof clears the Velcro of all charges. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes...:)

wanderer

Reaction score
Unfortunately Jerry, the field tester took them to a secluded Carp pool, for an over nighter, fell asleep and awoke to find just the reel and rod rings. Plagued with bunnies around that pool.

that's a cracker made my day, hee, hee.

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

Not sure about this one, I suspect the angling community would be against any major changes. Minor improvements yes, but I cant see anything radical being adopted easily.

I spotted something the other day which made me think, wish I could find the details now as I think it would have ruffled a few feathers on here.

It was a kickstarter project for a float with a small camera built in, the camera pointed down in the water so you could see your bait, where it was sitting and you could see any fish approaching. The image was broadcast to your phone/tablet.

I am in 2 minds about this one, I would be curious to have a quick look at the bottom to see the fish moving around in their natural environment but I couldn't see myself staring at a screen all day while out fishing. It also seems to be an unfair advantage? but I am sure there would be people who would love it.

I will keep looking to see if I can find the details to share on here.

EDIT - I found the details, posted them on a new thread for comments.

Saw Dave Lane do something similar with the Go PRO waterproof camera and a floating back pack on a Cambridgeshire pit, and as for the Drones , people have used them for reccee on gravel pit bars.

---------- Post added at 06:27 ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 ----------

going back to Dereks original comments about the braid, I use Fox Gravitron Pro for most of my fishing, doesn't stretch, doesn't coil, wonderful materiel and its a case of back to the future because, I remember pre mono watercord very similar to braid and that is what **** Walker used to catch Clarissa.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I reckon it's centre heating for the bivvy, bivvies' now are so good that with the great bed chairs and super warm sleeping bags, there really is a need for Central Heating !!

The next Big thing in Carp fishing ?

Bob