How much would you pay???

Reaction score
I looked on the Bobco website this morning(on Mike's advice)and was shocked to see a feeder rod selling for more than £500,with several over £300,this seems excessive to me,I would think I could pick up a very good rod for £150 or less,probably £80...your views?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Top of the range rods don't come too cheap.

My Sage fly rods were well over £500 a piece and my Carbotecs when I bought them many years ago were £395 each, although Andy (Avon Angling Ringwood) knocked £50 off each of them as I was a regular customer.

I guess if you compare those sort of prices with a top of the range pole they are not too bad.

I bought my Milo 10-10 14.5m pole way back in the early 90's and that set me back two grand even then, and more counting extra top 4's . . . . .

The value of a rod is in the blank and we all know that all blanks are just not the same or as good as each other.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with people buying expensive rods, if you have the money and want the best, why not. What I cannot see is how much better than a cheap rod they are to warrant the extra money. I have only ever used cheap rods, second hand, hand me downs, a few bought from new etc. etc., cane, glass, carbon, it doesn't really matter to me as long out of that lot I find I few rods that work for me. In no particular order, I like the look of it, the general feel when I hold it, the casting ability, the playing ability. I have about 30 rods at present but I use only 3 or 4 of them and that includes sea fishing. The others are just random cheap or value buys, lucky free finds and do up projects etc. The thing is, I could afford to go and buy a couple of expensive rods, my finances are in good shape but I cannot see what I am getting for my money, or at least that sort of money that I haven't got now, all my needs and requirements are catered for and I mean casting, looks, playing abilities etc. over the whole gamut of how and what I fish for. One day maybe, I could just be a tight old git but, I will be very disappointed if I found I went and spent say £500 and got very little extra to what I already have for £20 say, or will I?

Regarding feeder rods, I never do it these days but on having a rummage the other day I found I have something called a carbon composite Chevron Winkle Picker 10ft, I guess it is a feeder rod and I don't remember how I got it but I am sure it wouldn't have been more than £20 if it isn't just something I found. Should I use it if ever I go feeder fishing, will it be good enough or should I buy one of those eBay jobs for £500? Would I be missing out on something special?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I looked on the Bobco website this morning(on Mike's advice)and was shocked to see a feeder rod selling for more than £500,with several over £300,this seems excessive to me,I would think I could pick up a very good rod for £150 or less,probably £80...your views?

I doubt that I'll ever buy a new feeder rod regardless of the price. I just don't use them enough to care. What I have now will be perfectly adequate.
It's a different story with float rods. I like trying new ones and trying to find the best I can. I enjoy this journey almost as much as fishing itself.

You can certainly pick up reasonable rods for £50. At £100, you've got a chance of getting a pretty good rod if you choose wisely. Once you get to £200 you can get some pearlers, but you could still spend this much and see little or no improvement over the best hundred quid rods. By the time you get to £300+, there should be something special about a rod. Unfortunately, it's not always apparent exactly what that is. You may be paying an awful lot extra for no other reason than it being made in the UK. That may be a good thing, but it may not. It's certainly not a given that it'll be a better rod than something made elsewhere for less. You will definitely pay a significant premium for UK made though.

However, through all of this, anglers really need to stop with the absurd expectation of a £100 rod being twice as good as a £50 one, or a £500 rod being five times as good as a £100 rod. Retail has never worked, and never will work, this way. If a doubling of retail price gets even a third better performance/quality you are doing pretty well. By the time you get into the realms of £500 rods, any "improvements" over a £250 rod can easily be wiped out entirely by personal preference. There's every chance that an individual will prefer a cheaper rod over a more expensive one. All it might take is a different brand name, handle material/style, reel seat, rings, graphics or colour to put folks off. The rod itself might actually be better, but it can all be for nothing in the face of subjective tastes.

Another aspect of rod pricing that's worth bearing in mind is that people seem to forget just how much some rods cost many years ago.
How about a Normark Microlite 2000 13' which had a catalogue price of £259.95 in 1992. That equates to £550 in 2020. (BofE inflation calculator).
A Carbotec 13' Float costing a catalogue price of £395 in 2001. That equates to £668 in 2020.
People think that £500 is an outrageous price (and they may not be wrong), but in real terms, there were coarse fishing rods that cost more 15+ years ago. Some of the folks that complain about £500 rods even had and used the likes of Normark, Carbotec and similar high value rods of yesteryear.

john step

Reaction score
I tend to buy a quality brand of rod in the sales. Last years must have feeder rod from Bobco cost me about £70 instead of nearer a ton.
A fantastically light Drennan lure rod was half price when Fishing Republic were having trouble, and so on.

I do have a 14 ft Acy Ultra a full price though but even at full price was about £220 which was allowing for inflation cheaper than my old Normark 13 ft. at £100 in about the year dot.

I doubt I would appreciate anything above this price range due to the diminishing returns theory.

rayner

Reaction score
I've spent most of my working life saving for my retirement, now it's here I still have the same mindset in that spending for the sake of it seems more than a little rash. All through my working life, I seem to have had my nose pressed up against the glass looking at what I couldn't afford in all that time.
I never thought that not spending was an addiction, it is.
So long as a rod is below £100 I'm in. More I class has greed.

Reaction score
One thing I would say,90% of your angling day a feeder rod sits in the rest,a float rod not so much,also actions of a float rod reflect greatly in your fishing,I have a drennan super feeder,the rod I got rid of before that was a Normark multi tip,before that a Daiwa 11/13 amorphous,personally I wouldn't dream of buying a Guru float rod,having held one they are poop imo,fair wack though.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have some expensive rods and some cheap rods - what matters is whether or not it's right not what it costs. My stuff is battered through overuse, when it breaks or is worn out it is replaced.

rob48

Reaction score
Agree with most of Sam's points above. Price isn't a guarantee of satisfaction with the rods, or anything else, it's down to personal choice.
I've handled the Guru and Daiwa top of the range rods and was distinctly unimpressed and wouldn't consider buying them. The Browning Spheres on the other hand seem to suit me perfectly, such that I've now got four (three x spliced tips, 1 x feeder) and would probably have still bought them even if they were dearer. The same goes for the Rive waggler rods, they're just so nice to use.
The historical price of rods is also pertinent. Looking at the example above, the pair of Shimano Ultegras I bought in the early 90s at about £320 each would presumaby be £650-700 in today's money. They didn't seem that expensive at the time, they happened to be the best I found for the use I had for them. The Milo New-Era Supalite of similar vintage would also match this category.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
You pay your money and take your chance.

I have several expensive rods and additionally many in the £100/200 bracket. Also a few at the bottom end, usually lure rods that see a rough life. There is no doubt in my mind that the more expensive examples just feel nicer and deliver a better overall experience. But whether a £500 rod feels ten times better than a £50 rod is extremely debatable!

I am fortunate that finance is not really an issue, but if it were, then I would happily use budget rods in the same way I did when I was a kid.

sam vimes

Reaction score
whether a £500 rod feels ten times better than a £50 rod is extremely debatable!

The way retail prices for tackle tend to work, there's no chance of a £500 rod being ten times better than a £50 rod. You'd be doing well for it to be three times as "good". Even then, some would see no worth in whatever way it might be considered better. Quantifying the improvement outside of basic component costs (blanks, rings, reels seats, handles etc) borders on impossible.

Reaction score
I believe carbon technology has made rods cheap to produce,most of the big bucks paid for top of the range rods go to profit,and yes I have some high end rods,but though I might be able to afford these rods,I certainly cannot warrant £500 on a rod,thats me though....

sam vimes

Reaction score
I believe carbon technology has made rods cheap to produce,most of the big bucks paid for top of the range rods go to profit,and yes I have some high end rods,but though I might be able to afford these rods,I certainly cannot warrant £500 on a rod,thats me though....

Which is fine and dandy. Times change, personal circumstances change. The fact remains that you once did warrant spending an amount comparable to (or exceeding) a modern £500 on a rod. Just because it was 20+ years ago is largely irrelevant. Top end rods are actually cheaper now than they were 20+ years ago.

Another thing that's worth bearing in mind is that RRPs, even without the Roger Surgay fantasies, are largely red herrings. I've bought a few expensive rods in the last ten years. Without getting any special deals, or having any trade contacts, I've never paid anywhere near RRPs. In some cases, with a dollop of luck and good timing, you can pay less than half the RRPs. Even then, it's still no guarantee of getting a particularly good rod! The only guarantee is of getting a rod with an expensive RRP.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a few rods. I bought some modern rods and some classic rods like Normark, Shimano, Daiwa and Tricast. I don't have an issue with any of them and enjoy using them. I have some modern rods like the Spheres, Acolytes and Greys and like them all. I also have several Hardy rods which remain a joy to use , set up and to just look at. I'm a sad barsteward I know but I have followed advice and tried as many as I can. I really rate the Greys Toréons and have just bought an 11'10" feeder. The 10'6" float rod is amazing for the price and I have 2. The DV .75 to rod is also amazing at its price point of £42 and a joy to use. I shall continue to acquire rods regarded by those whose opinions I value for the sheer pleasure of ownership.

Today I used my Acolyte plus which handled gudgeon and commons with equal aplomb. As a modern float rod it takes some beating.

bullet

Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of buying a Guru float rod,having held one they are poop imo,fair wack though.
Agree with that, they have some in my local tackle shop and I've had a fair waggle/ bend with them. Horrible action, imo.

steve2

Reaction score
I have paid what in considered to be big prices,but 20 years later I am still using some of them. So at around £10 or less a year a bargain, although not at the time I bought them.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think the dearest tip/feeder rod I've bought is the old Normark No. 2 quivertip plus the No. 1 tip which was, from memory, over £200 about 30 years ago.

John Aston

Reaction score
And my Acolyte plus hasn't broken with double figure carp either... A great rod .

I buy stuff that's fit for my purposes , and , within reason , price is not the main criterion . That said, I certainly won't pay £500 for a light lure fishing reel because some Youtube Influencer has extolled its virtues while sporting some leisure wear , sexily branded in Japanese script. Nor will I buy some gratuitously overengineered fly reel forged from pure unobtainium nor a miracle new fly line made out of unicorn tears.

The best buy in recent years has been a Shakespeare Agility 6ft #3 weight - the best small stream river rod I have ever used and at fifty quid a quarter of the price of the reassuringly expensive Greys Streamflex it replaced . But if it had cost £500 I'd have still bought it - just don't tell Shakespeare.

I do wince at the staggering price of some big pit carp reels but I guess , in that market, shiny toys have a certain kudos. Still don't understand why folk use big pit reels on tiny little pits though - is it a cred thing ? And insanely priced breathable waders ....grrr they leak just as readily as the cheapos . I've gone back to Vass PVC jobs .

As Sam says, modern stuff is all relatively cheap anyway - my not very good at all Hardy Farnborough in that new fangled carbon fibre cost me the equivalent of £500 and it was so good I sold it and went back to glass fibre . And Mitchells - bloody hell we thought we'd struck gold when we found some in a discount store for £8 in 1975 - now nearly £75 . That much for a grindy old piece of tut with a rubbish clutch - I'll keep my Shimano Exage thanks ..