How quickly do barbel feed again after being caught

stevenp1

Reaction score
I recently had a magic 40 minutes, catching 2 barbel on pellet over 9lb each in a new hole I found on the river mole. My questions are:-
Do the barbel return to the same hole when returned to the water or do they skiddadle off as far away as they can and
How quickly do the start feeding again

flightliner

Reaction score
On several occasions I have had the same barbel twice on the same day and on one particular day I had it three times-- It was a fish that was very easily recognised and just loved sweetcorn so much that in the swim it "lived in" I gave up on the bait alltogether.
On another occasion I released a barbel at my feet in little more than a foot of water where it chose to stay, out of curiousity I began dropping 4mm pellets in front of it and it was slurping them up like there was no tomorrow.
I think, on those observances that on the river I fish mostly they go back and carry on feeding as they were before capture .

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I took a friend to a bit of river I occasionally fish, which holds plenty of barbel to a good size. He fished halfway along the backwater stretch, and I dropped in towards the lower end, about two hundred yards away. After not much more than an hour I hooked a good fish and was just wondering how to attract my friends attention when I saw him striding towards me with a bulging net. As he got close he called out that he'd had one. I landed mine, left it in the net to recover whilst I took a quick snap of his, weighed it (8lbs) and returned it in my swim rather than cart it about any more. We noticed it had a distinctive notch in the lower tail lobe. I then fished mine out, weighed it and returned it.

We had no further action until sunset, when I hooked a fish (I was still in the same swim) which put up a fair scrap before conceding defeat. When I parted the mesh to examine it I thought it looked familiar. There in the lower tail lobe was the same notch.

That fish had taken luncheon meat, been hooked, played, landed, carried two hundred yards downstream, weighed and returned, then - after a few hours - taken luncheon meat again, from the same spot where it had been returned earlier.

mick b

Reaction score
And the antis tell us that fish are so traumatised they go away and sulk for weeks on end only returning to feed whan they are near death!:rolleyes:

mol

Reaction score
I'm convinced that most fish when put straight back either start feeding straight awas or after a quick sulk. I wonder how much the stress of being in a keepnet for a few hours effects them?

flightliner

Reaction score
If the keepnet is used in a correct and responsible way I would suspect that to the fish its pretty much like laying up in a safe secluded environment with no stress whatsoever.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've had fish feed in the keepnet. No more stressed than your average chip-shop customer, I'd say.
(No, I wasn't in a match and trying to bulk'em up!)