How to use carbon quiver tips

Phil Adams

Hi all, this might seem like a daft question but what is the best way to use a carbon quivertip on a river?

My usual method when using a glass tip is to cast downstream, nearside or far said and have the rod pointing slightly towards the bait. If the flow is strong, I let out line until the tip settles and wait for it to pull round when a chub takes the bait.

However, I know that carbon tips are a much faster taper and whilst they will likely work in the same fashion as above, I imagine to get the best out of them I should fish upstream? If so, how do I go about this? and any other tips?

Thanks

peterjg

Phil Adams your question is a huge one. A few pointers to assist:

Upstream legering, a really good and underused method. Either use a soft quivertip or a bobbin, cast upstream and tighten so that the tip curves upstream. The lead or feeder needs to be balanced so that it just holds bottom. It is essential that the feeder is fixed from sliding by a float stop or you will get bites that won't register on the tip!

If casting straight out point the rod downstream let a bow form in the line and again wait for the tip to straighten.

If casting downstream position the rod straight out, running feeder and wait for bite.

The length of the hooklink is critical. Many anglers think it doesn't make any difference in a river because the current will straighten it out anyway - wrong, the length of the hooklink is critical, especially with roach.

Better to use a tip that is too stiff than one that is just bent round with the current - bites will not show properly.

I used to prefer glass tips as opposed to carbon ones but when you get used to your rod it doesn't really make a difference.

Good luck, hope this helps.