Hugh Gough Dies

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think there are many many anglers who visited Ireland who unbeknowingly owed this fella a beer or two.

His book, Coarse Fishing in Ireland, was an absolute godsend to those of us who visited Ireland in the early 90's. Many of us first time visitors were travelling to Ireland 'blind' and without any local contacts and that book finally gave us a starting point. There was sound advice on everything from which roads to take, how and where to access the many lakes and rivers, to which species were present and which methods would score.

Then there were the lakes and rivers upon which fishing platforms just 'appeared' in the middle of nowhere. I am not suggesting Mr Gough was solely responsible for this work, but he did have a massive hand in opening up many fisheries and made them angler friendly.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Skoda

Reaction score
Very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends. His book is a constant source of information for anglers travelling to Ireland, I feel as though he has been a part of all my trips there over the last few years.

Andy

blackbanks

Reaction score
Sad news indeed,Hugh gough played a huge part in opening up course angling in ireland.His book Course fishing in ireland is as relevant today as it was in 89.And guided me to many a lake in co,clare.On behalf of all course and carp anglers here in ireland our condolences and sincere thanks for his ceaseless work.

Last edited:

Colin Brett

Reaction score
A sad coincidence!! I first met Hugh through Barrie Rickards back in 1986. I made a pike film with Hugh in the years 1986 - 1989 in Cavan, Galway and Leitrim and have some great memories of him. I kept in touch over the years and visited him a few times as well. He suffered with very poor eyesight in his later years but would soon recognise a voice from the past. Hugh had a great sense of humour and I can recall him swapping articles of clothing to mess up any continuity on the film we made.
I must look out the photo of us at Killykeen.
Hugh you will be missed, RIP my friend.

Colin

Last edited:

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Colin,
I remember those films. He seemed to have a story about everywhere you fished. Sad about him though as he did a lot for coarse fishing in Ireland.