Hugh Miles, Passion for Angling meet

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
We were privileged to meet and spend time with Hugh Miles during our valuation day at the Tyrrell Ford Country Inn and Hotel in Dorset. He contacted us to try to help a dear friend who was selling her late husband’s tackle collection.

This brought us to Dorset, a neighbour, only three doors away heard of our impending visit and found tackle they wished to sell making it a two for one event. We then headed for the valuation venue to meet with Richard Hewitt.

Passion for Angling

Hugh came to the hotel the next morning and the conversation was all about fishing and filming. Without doubt, in the angling world, A Passion for Angling was a game changer. Produced by Hugh Miles who is one of the world’s finest wildlife cameramen, over a cup of tea, what seems like decades ago, a Passion for Angling was born. He recruited two friends, opposites in angling styles, Chris Yates and Bob James. Narrated by Bernard Cribbins it was set to be the cornerstone for quality and fun content. For a Bafta and Emmy award winner, Hugh is very humble about his success and loves to chat fishing.

Passion for Angling

It’s worth a few minutes of anyone’s time to Google the backstory to the Passion for Angling series. The scarecrow scene must be the pinnacle of any angling shoot and falling out of a tree a close second.

Hugh is a passionate lifelong angler. This was obvious in our conversations at the Thomas Turner valuation day. No matter what Richard and I had caught, he caught more, bigger and from more exotic locations. Time to pull out my get out of jail free card winning tale. Being towed under the 7-mile bridge in the water by a giant ray without a boat in the Florida Keys. This would surely do it. No, he produced a massive Mahseer from India, game over.

Passion for Angling

We spoke of rods, changing buyer habits whilst we looked through his collection of coarse and big game tackle. A pair of Mahseer rods, one used to catch the mahseer above and matching Abu Ambassadeur 7000 reels had to be bought. Even the buying process was one laugh after another.

Passion for Angling

His tales of chasing giant Crucians and many 2-3 lb roach and perch demonstrated he is a serious angler but with a lighter side. The hollow glass Peter Stone rod, he kept, as the memories outweighed the current commercial value. We get that.

His Drennan IM8 match rod now belongs to TT and he hopes it will bring luck to the next owner.

We will keep in touch with Hugh and he has threatened to help me catch a 2lb crucian…somewhere, somehow. I don’t think he has seen my Shakespeare Alpha Polystel rod and Intrepid Super Twin reel, this may yet get me a red card.

As always, if you have any tackle that you wish to sell, have valued, or have any interesting stories or photos to share, please get in touch!

Stoke office: John Stephenson 01782 698787 / 07548 871985 john@thomasturner.com

Weston-super-Mare: Dave Townsend 01934 516931 / 07535 590617 davetownsend@thomasturner.com

The post Hugh Miles, Passion for Angling meet appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...