Huss baits???

M

michael rouse

Last time i was sea fishing, i almost landed a near double figure bull huss.I hooked it on a sandeel but usually i get hammered by whiting and doggies on small baits.Can anyone recommend a huss bait which nuisance fish cant eat?

Reaction score
For huss, use a mackerel head which is fairly indestructible. Use shirring elastic to bind in the guts as this will fend off the crabs for a while and ensure a better scent trail. Huss hunt on scent.

Alternatively take a whole squid, cut off the head and remove the clear "spine", insert either lugworm, crab or mashed mackerel with a dollop of fish oil and tied it closed to form a "packet". Fit this on a pair of 4/0s in pennel rig formation for a big bait that casts well and will keep most crabs and dogfish out for a while. Remember to take the thin filmy skin off the squid before casting as this increases its visibility in water.

Failing this, a whole large sandeel and bring the hook out through the back, bnot the belly and whip on with elastic.

M

michael rouse

I went all out for them.I fished three nights from 3 in the afternoon until half nine.I fished mackeral sections on one rod and whole squid on another.I dont know about tide conditions but i fished on the flood every time.I ended up with tiny bites and no bait left on the hook.Im willing to bet that crabs are having it before Huss can smell it.I'm going again next saturday and im fishing whole joey mackeral for them.One one rod anyway.