Hybrids

john step

Reaction score
A quick look on google tells me it is definitely deemed offensive, and while some of the results refer to a gypsy origin many do not. However that doesn't interest me so much as finding out if this piece of angling dialect went any further than Boreham, Essex.

Dave as you know I was dragged up in Dagenham, Essex. (Now London). The term half chat was a common term for those of mixed heritage.

Regarding the the fish carrasin. I have posted on here before that I have caught lots of them in France mainly from waters that drain into the Rhone as far south as the Camargue. They look to all intents and purposes a crucian except the colouring which is silver not golden as in a true crucian.
Their habits are different to as they came from trotting running water.

Also posted on here before that about 15 or so years ago I caught what I am adamant was a chub/bream hybrid from the Lincolnshire Ancholme.
I was catching chub on trotted bread at Snitterby Weir and then had this fish. Very strange looking with the look of both species. About 4lb.
Whether it was a bronze bream or a silver b ream I cannot say as both are in this river.

mikench

Reaction score
The expression " full chat" or "half chat" indicated an engine ( a small r/c aircraft engine in my case ) either on full throttle or half throttle. It had no gypsy, race or other perjorative connotation at all.

john step

Reaction score
The expression " full chat" or "half chat" indicated an engine ( a small r/c aircraft engine in my case ) either on full throttle or half throttle. It had no gypsy, race or other perjorative connotation at all.

Strange how the same phrase can mean different things in different parts of such a small island.

sam vimes

Reaction score

The phrase has certainly been used that way with respect to engines. However, if you believe that using the phrase in respect to a fish hybrid has its origins in that direction you are only kidding yourself.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm not kidding anyone. I haven't used the expression, if I ever did, since my teens and certainly not in relation to fish. The only hybrid I know is my wife's car.