Hybrids

mikench

Reaction score
Earlier this week I considered I had caught a 1.5lb roach and a Rudd approaching 1lb. I had no photos to show. I was certain about the Rudd but less so about the roach which could have been a hybrid . I knew about roach bream hybrids and have caught a few, but I wasn't aware of roach Rudd hybrids. It's a fascinating area and in endeavouring to find out more I came across this interesting vid by our own Mark Wintle.

Here it is and well worth a listen.

It appears hybridisation is rife but how many hybrids have you knowingly caught?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Any pictures Mark so we( read me) can identify them more readily. I'm intrigued by bleak hybrids and have yet to catch a bleak although I have no yearning to do so.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m always amazed when catching a bream with a tad of roach in its dna on the estate at the extra fight that’s put up

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Any pictures Mark so we( read me) can identify them more readily. I'm intrigued by bleak hybrids and have yet to catch a bleak although I have no yearning to do so.
Bleak hybrids are rare but I'll try to incorporate pictures in the upcoming videos. The next two involve a lot of work; yesterday's video took about three hours to put together.
The hybrid I've caught the most of is roach x bream which are prolific at Whitemoor (mentioned in the commercials thread).

Philip

Reaction score
Roachx Bream are the probably the commonest I would say. Can be a bit delflating to catch what you think is a huge Roach but then you notice somethings not quite right. A bit unfair on the fish too..they can be impressive fish in their own right.

I suspect we all actually catch allot more hybrids than we actually realize.

I am always intrigued by how big they can go...the biggest Roach x Bream I can recall hearing about was 7lb plus ....a Uk fish ....anyone heard of bigger?

steve2

Reaction score
I have caught roach x bream hybrids, roach x Rudd hybrids and even roach x chub hybrids. My only 2lb plus 'roach' was a hybrid.

bencarvosso

Reaction score
In ireland the rudd bream record is 7lb10oz
The roach bream record is 3.375kg which I think is around 7lb7oz caught by Jason dingle.
John Bailey caught on in UK which was 7lb12oz and I think he put in a world record claim
The record roach rudd in Ireland is 2.1kg or 4.6lbish.

bencarvosso

Reaction score
John Bailey's fish
20200207_005614.jpg

Reaction score
Beautiful fish those and good examples too...

mikench

Reaction score
I must admit that the roach Rudd hybrid is a handsome fish. I will have to look more closely at the roach and Rudd I catch. I remember the roach bream hybrids not just their appearance but by their struggle.

steve2

Reaction score
I know of waters where Ide were stocked as any one caught Ide hybrids. Even without hybrids big Ide can look like big roach and have been reported as Roach.

The bad one

Reaction score
I know of waters where Ide were stocked as any one caught Ide hybrids. Even without hybrids big Ide can look like big roach and have been reported as Roach.
They can until you look at their eye pupil...its as black as the night! Ask Ron Clay :LOL: we had some fun with him on here about 15 years ago over them.

BTW I could be wrong here due failing memory, but I have it in my mind that the first editor (Graham Marsden) of this site had a bream x roach hybrid from Combers in the mid 1990s of 8+lbs.

Oh and Mike the Club water near the airport has many Rudd X Roach in it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know that hybrids exist. However, I find it strange that many people seem desperate to identify almost anything a little unusual or unexpected as some kind of hybrid. Facebook is chock full of examples of people asking for an identification and people suggesting implausible hybrids. People can barely catch a roach, rudd, ide/orfe, chub or dace without people trying to suggest that they are hybrids of some kind. I seen to recall seeing a picture of a dark coloured skinny carp recently. Someone was actually suggesting that it was a tench/carp hybrid. F1s, brown goldfish and ide/orfe, along with the common and more natural roach/bream hybrids have a lot to answer for.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I know that hybrids exist. However, I find it strange that many people seem desperate to identify almost anything a little unusual or unexpected as some kind of hybrid. Facebook is chock full of examples of people asking for an identification and people suggesting implausible hybrids. People can barely catch a roach, rudd, ide/orfe, chub or dace without people trying to suggest that they are hybrids of some kind. I seen to recall seeing a picture of a dark coloured skinny carp recently. Someone was actually suggesting that it was a tench/carp hybrid. F1s, brown goldfish and ide/orfe, along with the common and more natural roach/bream hybrids have a lot to answer for.
It also amazes me to see angling jounalists claiming roach x dace for skinny roach, roach x crucian for a fantail goldfish. Many ide are claimed to be roach x chub and silver bream to be roach x bream, and bizarely many don't know the difference between roach and rudd.

Reaction score
Most hybrids are relatively easy to spot,there must be many that are very difficult though,in my opinion it is important if they are big for the species your claiming it to be,if its a pound and a half it hardly matters to that degree,unless it's so obvious it's embarrassing...

flightliner

Reaction score
They can until you look at their eye pupil...its as black as the night! Ask Ron Clay :LOL: we had some fun with him on here about 15 years ago over them.

BTW I could be wrong here due failing memory, but I have it in my mind that the first editor (Graham Marsden) of this site had a bream x roach hybrid from Combers in the mid 1990s of 8+lbs.

Oh and Mike the Club water near the airport has many Rudd X Roach in it.
True, I remember GM mentioning his roach bream hybrid a few years ago, my biggest was /is a 6 plus that when I mentioned it prompted GM to tell of his big 8.