I have developed a unique finesse lure rig called “The Thread Rig”

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to share a rig I have developed for lite lure and BFS fishing.

It’s designed to use much smaller sized finesse hooks and allows full movement of the soft plastic which is lost with jig hooks or EWG hooks.

The Texas weights are interchangeable and can be moved to configure a Carolina rig easily, allowing the angler to react to changing conditions....

I would love your feedback, all details are on my channel

Attachments

• 4A920938-EDE7-4963-935D-0F007ADCFD2E.jpeg
    4A920938-EDE7-4963-935D-0F007ADCFD2E.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 287

spoonminnow

Reaction score
I'd be interested how well you do using it. Post some photos with it attached to fish mouths.
What is the lure's length? All soft plastics can take the right size jig hook which won't affect action though in this case, the action is the flapping of the claws more than anything else and hook size wouldn't matter.

Also what weight is the bullet weight?

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Weight 3/5& 7g interchangeable Size 6 hooks, the lure is 2.5” . I agree the claws are an important part of the action of the lure, but the body movement is seriously compromised with jig hooks or ewg hooks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not for me I’m afraid, there are plenty of ways to catch perch without using double or treble barbed hooks.

Last edited:

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Not to worry, they come as a single hook aswell and barbs just push down.... must be better using size 6 hooks for perch rather Than 1/0

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t call that finesse fishing!:)

sylvanillo

Reaction score
That's not finesse really, indeed.
But your rig is interesting.

The way I used to interchange texas weights is simply to use those articulated weights that you find on basspro and that are available in different shapes.

Otherwise, a much simpler option which worked superbly well is a weightless texas rig, and a Lemer split bulged removable olive lead. You can set them anywhere on the line, they can be sliding or fixed, can be removed, or replaced by any weight from 3 gr to 50 gr.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder how the Japanese would describe a perch caught on a size 20 barbless hook, 2lb line and a tiny Stillwater float?

theartist

Reaction score
I wonder how the Japanese would describe a perch caught on a size 20 barbless hook, 2lb line and a tiny Stillwater float?

They would probably call it something wonderful like Perkara along the lines of Tenkara, using whips or rods with no reel

Come to think of it wandering along the canal doing that sounds ideal

stillwater blue

Reaction score
As there is no weight attached to the hooks and lure is free to rotate will the hooks not just come to rest hook points touching the bottom? Looks like a recipe for blunt hooks at best or a snag a cast at worst.

The occasional angler

Reaction score
The soft plastics float , so it sits up in a defend position ... like the Ned rig

Attachments

• E2B5BB78-F3B7-432D-9398-726A2D4CCF2F.jpeg
    E2B5BB78-F3B7-432D-9398-726A2D4CCF2F.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 134

The occasional angler

Reaction score
I’m playing around with extra buoyancy, the locating spike of the hook passes through the lures body and can anchor a polyball dumbbell as eyes, this makes the lure stand up straight keeping hooks clear of the floor

Here is a 1 minute tank test .
YouTube

I’m

spoonminnow

Reaction score
1/4 oz (7g) bullet weight is not a finesse weight and allows little lure body action except what would be expected from a Texas rigged short plastic worm. A light ball head jig with #4 or #6 hook short in length would allow body flex along with claw up & down motions using horizontal retrieves or when working the rig off the bottom. Using a bullet sinker only allows bottom fishing and inhibits lure action. The video proves it.

Try a ball head jig 1/32 or 1/16 oz with short hook and then compare lure action. There's something about the line tie eye of the hook in the up position that allows a different lure action than a line tie in line with the hook shank.
JMO

Last edited:

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi Spoonminnow, thanks for your reply. The weight used is a 3grams with a size 6 hook. I agree a ball shaped weight is a preferable shape. I mainly fish rivers and want to be able to adjust weight quickly which is one of the main points of this rig. Secondly this is really designed for bottom fishing.

In the tank test I forgot to mention I was using 30lb line (for visibility) of course this is vastly heavier and stiffer than the 6lb fluro I would actually use, so please take this into account when analysing the tank test footage

Last edited:

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, I would say it’s definitely similar, but it still uses a long shank hook which affects movement of the soft plastic in my opinion.

I used to use clauser minnows when flyfishing for bones in belize (which have a very similar look to these jigs), but hard to get onto the deck at depth.

I’ve made some adjustments here which give a nice presentation in my opinion..... below is another quick tank test update

YouTube

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are there any waters in Kent that suffer from high pressure from lure fishing?