I may have to change my mind.

john step

Reaction score
Circle hooks.

I have tried them before without much success. Too many failed hook ups for pike.
However I noticed some size 3/0 Mustad Demon Fines in the depths of all the junk one acquires. I cannot recall the make of the others I tried and have discarded.

Yesterday as an experiment I rigged up some of these and used them on lip hooked dead roach and had the 3 pike I posted on HDYGO.
All, included the twenty one were hooked in the incisors making unhooking a dream.

Maybe it was using the trace/crimp set up making the hook fluid on a small loop that did the trick or the fact that these Mustads have a much more aggressive curved in point or even the lip hooking I dont know.

I have ordered a couple of packets on the bay of the next size up 4/0 to experiment before the spawning starts and its time to put away the pike gear.

Aknib

Reaction score
Well done Pete I hope you're right and it works out for you.

I use the Mustad circle hooks and have to concur... in the instances where i've been successful, but i've had some bloody infuriating days too.

What I put it down too is still unknown... my own ineptitude, the weight of the 'strike' or gradual tightening down, timing, or just one of those days?

Perch are by far the worst culprits, Pike and Zander i've had few problems with but I suspect many of my missed sailaways have been eels.