I now live on the R.Wey :-)

shane_b

Reaction score
Hi all

just bought a house in Old Woking, Surrey with the R.Wey at the end of my garden (realisation of a little lifes dream) so looking forward to getting [a lot] more fishing in in the near future.

Been angling on and off for some 25 years and though I mainly fish for pike (29lb my best) I have had some success with chub to 5lb, though I never caught a barbel believe it or not and I intend to rectify that pdq.... as soon as the river calms down.

Anyway, I'll be venturing out on my boat as soon as I get bored of fishing from the garden ;-) so any hints very much appreciated as I don't know the area at all. I previously lived in Richmond and fished the tidal Thames, which is a bit different as you can imagine.

Really keen to know what I can expect out of the Wey... esp. pike-wise.... I feel the barbel will come soon enough. I also hear there's a few carp lurking in there, and after I lost my river carp virginity on the Thames I quite like it!

TTFN

Tim

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It sounds wonderful. A dream realised. Enjoy it, and let me know if you want a boat partner as I'm only down the road near Penton Hook

Windy

Reaction score
See that squat fat little garden gnome with a fishing rod at the end of your garden ? That's me that is.... and if there's two of us that's Ed 'n all.

We may perhaps be joined by a third and very rare gnome from time to time if you are lucky enough. At first sight it may appear to be sitting on an old tree stump but is in fact the rare and fabled Marsbar Gnome, perching its buttocks unsteadily on the heights of its wallet :eek:.

Sanitary arrangements and privy digging will be left to the Corkster. You won't see much of him tho, as he rarely comes up above ground level if there's a privy or septic tank for him to hang out in.

Seriously, I am but 13 miles away from abusing your hospitality if you're not careful ! Feel free to cadge a guest day ticket on my local club waters in return in lieu of rent for the six months bivvying in your garden I am planning as we speak..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tim,

I hope you enjoy your new home.

As you can see, you might just become one of the most popular chaps on FM

I used to fish the River Wey in my teens (a long time ago) when it was a great venue for the roach on Hemp.

Tight lines.

shane_b

Reaction score
thanks all for the welcome, good wishes and offers of company which I will no doubt take up in the near future, though dumping in the garden is right out!

Sorry for the tardy follow-up but I've spent the last 2 weeks more or less rebuilding the house... getting that river view is priority! The work takes too long as I keep getting drawn down to the river.... and nature kindly left me a few features in 'my' swim that I will be exploring pdq.

20100122_view_of_river.jpg

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Ah, now that does look nice. Perhaps you'll luck into all those Barbel that a certain club upriver of you stocked...only for them to never be seen again. They must have gone somewhere.

They also put in a lot of roach.

The future's bright. The future may have orange fins ;)

Congratulations.

Steve King

Reaction score
Looks really nice! Congratulations on your purchase!

My cousin and her (now ex) husband used to live in a close facing the Wey. The fishing rights were held jointly by all the residents.

I was rather miffed when they moved!!!!

shane_b

Reaction score
Some baptism!

Last post here as I guess I don't qualify as a newbie anymore!

First afternoon's proper fishing from my stretch of the Wey turned up a rather nice result.... 4 pike from 4~9lb and then this attractive female at exactly 21lb... Not exactly from the end of the garden, I had to wander 100 metres upriver, but that is not a bad start to the new house. It aint no barbel but I am not complaining!

21lb_pike_river_wey_-_small.jpg

21lb_pike_river_wey_-_small2.jpg

I'm liking living here already! ;-)
:wh

Reaction score
Negotiations will be starting for the annual tmarshal FM fish-in:wh

Such a pity as the Resident's Association were such a nice bunch.....but I gather they're already applying for a preventative asbo on hearing the names Slime, Spiders and Clarke wafting in the Surrey air!!

Great fish well done!

Windy

Reaction score
Bloody hell, that's just brilliant.

I'd join you for this afternoon's finish of the river fishing season but the car's laid up needing a new alternator.... but you can tell your other half to start making sarnies in preparation for the 16th June FM garden party by the riverside !