Ideas for Line Marker?

fishplate42

Reaction score
This is something I have been contemplating for a while. and there are lots of good suggestions here, but can somebody tell me how the counting of the handle turns works? I get that you find the 'spot' and then retrieve the end-tackle counting the number of turns to reel it in, but how does that help you cast to the same spot?

Ralph :confused:

peterjg

Reaction score
Ralph, you are correct, without marking the line or using marker sticks just counting the reel turns will not work.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks, I can get some sleep now :)

Sitting here with the Missus, she just suggested using lipstick. Anyone tried it? Bright red might work but I will never know as I am not going into the local chemist and buying bright red lipstick. New man or not, it ain't gonna happen.... SUE! can you....

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Sitting here with the Missus, she just suggested using lipstick. Anyone tried it? Bright red might work but I will never know as I am not going into the local chemist and buying bright red lipstick. New man or not, it ain't gonna happen.... SUE! can you....

Ralph.

I'm not sure about that, a man that can go in Aldi and buy a pair of "willies" should be game for anything.:)

fishplate42

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that, a man that can go in Aldi and buy a pair of "willies" should be game for anything.:)

Now you have done it, that speeling mistake was in a private e-mail and now the world knows. For those of you who have no clue what my ex-friend is talking about, I bought a pair of WELLIES - RIGHT?!!

Ralph :mad:... :eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
This is something I have been contemplating for a while. and there are lots of good suggestions here, but can somebody tell me how the counting of the handle turns works? I get that you find the 'spot' and then retrieve the end-tackle counting the number of turns to reel it in, but how does that help you cast to the same spot?

Ralph :confused:

Counting the reel turns is a fail safe way of hitting the same mark.

After you have clipped up count the reel turns back. If a big fish is hooked and needs to run then unclip.
When the fish is landed recast, clip up then count the turns back, it's not to difficult to adjust the turns up or down to re clip in the exact same spot.
Tadah, I thank you.

fishplate42

Reaction score

After you have clipped up count the reel turns back. If a big fish is hooked and needs to run then unclip.
When the fish is landed recast, clip up then count the turns back, it's not to difficult to adjust the turns up or down to re clip in the exact same spot.
Tadah, I thank you.

Thanks for explaining the method. Just to clarify, when you recast you are casting to a similar spot (guessing?) and then winding in again counting the turns, adjusting the line by cranking in or paying out the line, clipping up and them casting all over again. Do I have that right? If so that seems like a whole lot of mucking about to me. Does anyone bother to do all that when there are much simpler (and quicker) methods to set the same spot.

Ralph.

rayner

Reaction score
Two casts and the job is done, like you say cast, clip up. count turns then cast again adding or subtracting like I said before.
Do whatever suits you. I'm not advocating everyone does this, it's just the way I do it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Two casts and the job is done, like you say cast, clip up. count turns then cast again adding or subtracting like I said before.
Do whatever suits you. I'm not advocating everyone does this, it's just the way I do it.

As you say it is a personal preference thing. On the face of it, it seems complicated and a lot of messing about, but now I know how to do it I will give it a try. It may be one of those things that is easier to do than describe. I was just checking I had understood you correctly - Thank you.

Ralph.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rayner, many thanks for your reply but like Ralph I think it seems to need unecessary casting and a bit of guess work.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now you have done it, that speeling mistake was in a private e-mail and now the world knows. For those of you who have no clue what my ex-friend is talking about, I bought a pair of WELLIES - RIGHT?!!

Ralph :mad:... :eek:mg:

There you go,

If you responded to my emails and request that I keep your dark secrets out of the public domain, I'd be happy to oblige.:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score

Tadah, I thank you.

If it works for you Rayner then great but it sounds like an utter nightmare to me if your trying to get to say within inches of a island margin. Your going to be casting multiple times over and over to try and get it spot on.

There is one option no one has suggested yet ....just be a REALLY good caster :p:)

Another Dave

Reaction score

Ralph.

In extreme situations maybe, it would definitely make sure no more dog walkers stop by to ask if you eat them or throw them back, hmmm.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Ok, just one more thing... and it's a kind of "if Mohammed won't go to the mountain...." sort of solution.

Some manufacturers make quiver tips with significantly bigger eyes, because they're designed for much heavier lines. I'm not sure what kind of rod you're using, however I do know that greys and drennan tips are interchangeable and that the tips on my greys barbel rod would allow a line marker through no problem?

peterjg

Reaction score
Jim Crosskey, many thanks for your reply. I have two 11ft Shimano feeder rods which are soft enough for roach but have enough backbone to cast a 2oz feeder, they have carbon tips which I don't fancy altering (yet?!).

Seth 49, many thanks also for your reply, I have a couple of other ideas to try first but I will test the Gardner marker - I didn't know that it even existed.

I went roach fishing again yesterday on a club lake to test out ideas for line markers when quivertipping. The fish are at long last starting to feed, no roach but I did catch six bream which were around 5lbs each. For line markers I tried both 6lb powergum and no. 4 pole elastic, both worked OK but if I tied the knot tight enough to stop the knot from sliding it was difficult to remove. Next I am going to try some white quick dry nail varnish and if that is no good I'll try the Nash and Gardner stuff.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peter I have a Shimano Catana medium feeder which I acquired, I have not tried it out yet, one of the push in tips
has a damaged eye, I have found a couple of Browning tips that fit perfectly , so if you break any of yours, there is an option for push in tips,
Would nail varnish not leave a hard area on the line ?

seth49

Reaction score
Might be worth trying the nail varnish on some scrap line first, the varnish may weaken the line.