Ideas for Line Marker?

peterjg

Reaction score
I am trying to find a line marker to use when clipping-up when using a quivertip rod, the marker has to be non-slipping and small enough to go through the small rings on a quivertip?

The type of fishing is to clip-up for accurate casting but to be able to unclip after casting to stop the rod from being pulled in by a carp. I have tried the following ideas without success:

Insulation Tape - works well with carp rods which have big rings but no good for quivertips.

Powergum Stop Knots - tried various knots but they are prone to slipping.

Unwaxed Dental Floss - works well but very difficult to remove from line at end of session.

Tippex - works well but can be messy and can take a while to dry.

Nylon Line Sliding-Float Knot - works well but difficult to remove.

There must be an answer but I can't think of it! Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

spenbeck

Reaction score
I use rubber bands made from old cycle inner tubes. Different size tubes for different size spools.
Many years ago, I discovered by accident that when using Mitchell 300/400s and clipping up using bands that they would ‘ping’ off the spool when the rod was rived round and pointing at the fish!
I cut the bands to about 10 mm wide and when cast to the required distance would clip up using them.
Also a good idea it to count the turns on the reel incase you need to clip up again. Another bonus is that the line does not get damaged like it can when wound around a line clip.

rayner

Reaction score
I just count the turns on the reel. A couple of casts usually is enough to clip up the same as it was.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I am trying to find a line marker to use when clipping-up when using a quivertip rod, the marker has to be non-slipping and small enough to go through the small rings on a quivertip?

The type of fishing is to clip-up for accurate casting but to be able to unclip after casting to stop the rod from being pulled in by a carp. I have tried the following ideas without success:

Insulation Tape - works well with carp rods which have big rings but no good for quivertips.

Unwaxed Dental Floss - works well but very difficult to remove from line at end of session.

There must be an answer but I can't think of it! Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

I don't get your point about the nylon line sliding float knot being difficult to remove. A couple of things....why would you want to remove it? Unless of course you plan on using the reel for another purpose, float fishing perhaps. In that case won't the knot simply slide off the end of the reel line? I have found that if tied correctly it will move, allowing you to fish different depths with a float or moving it when casting further or shorter when on the tip. Apologies if I have not understood your post correctly.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
Many thanks for your replies, there are some very good ideas there and I will try out them all. Soft Plastic: thanks for your reply but I don't want to leave the marker on as I might not fish the same swim next time, if I cast out say 40 or 50 yards it will be a long way to slide a stop knot off, again many thanks for your ideas.

Richox12

Reaction score
I don't get your point about the nylon line sliding float knot being difficult to remove. A couple of things....why would you want to remove it?

To fish elsewhere and clip up to a totally different distance. I assume a knot, which doesn't move easily in use, would have to be slid 30m, 40m, 50m etc down the line to the end to get it off ?? PITA that.

Or is there an easier way ?

soft plastic

Reaction score
To fish elsewhere and clip up to a totally different distance. I assume a knot, which doesn't move easily in use, would have to be slid 30m, 40m, 50m etc down the line to the end to get it off ?? PITA that.

Or is there an easier way ?
Hold line stop and reel in, easy.

Philip

Reaction score

I asked the same question some time back as have never really found the ideal marker either and usually settle on eletrical tape. Cutting it at a slight taper can help to avoid a shoulder/edge to catch the rings although in my case its mainly for Carp fishing which as you mention means bigger rings & heavier leads to pull it through. For lighter fishing, stop knots for slider fishing for example I have been using a spool of Kryston hair braid which works pretty well, not sure if they still sell it but a a very light braid would do the same job I am sure. Butting two knots together helps stop slippage but can be a bit of a pain to remove. The spool has lasted me ages but I am down to my last few inches of it now so I am on the lookout for something else too :)

I recon there is a gap in the market here, surprised someone like Korda dont sell something purpose made for it yet.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Distance measuring sticks. I thought it was a gimmick. But no. Really very very good. Spot on every time. If they're about 18" they don't weigh much and if they are short banksticks (make sure they're clean & smooth) you'll have them/be carrying them anyway.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I mean. Which is fine unless you tie a really good knot !
There is absolutely no, repeat no, problem in moving the knot if a proper line stop knot is used. People who complain about the knot being very hard to move simply can't be tying it correctly.

Richox12

Reaction score
There is absolutely no, repeat no, problem in moving the knot if a proper line stop knot is used. People who complain about the knot being very hard to move simply can't be tying it correctly.

Short length of line, lay next to mainline, make big loop and then pass one end of the line through loop and over mainline at same time 4 or 5 times similar to tying a Grinner

soft plastic

Reaction score
Short length of line, lay next to mainline, make big loop and then pass one end of the line through loop and over mainline at same time 4 or 5 times similar to tying a Grinner
Correct, trick is not to pull it too tight. Will hold in place and move when required. I honestly can't see the problem others have experienced. Anyway, each to their own...

rayner

Reaction score
Plenty of ideas but boy do you like making things shall we say not so simple. The only option I would use above is the two bank sticks, in post 12 by Richox
I think I'll stick to counting turns of the reel handle.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rayner, re your post, just counting the reel turns alone will not work.