If commercials never existed

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
There’s so much good fishing around Oxford on the rivers, canals and streams ~ I wonder why anyone goes to commies?

Alders farm can be “ hook a duck “ too....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I know a nice farm fisherie, not a true commercial really but 3 nice lakes and fairly quiet in the week. One lake is the carp lake, another decent mixed fishing and another no carp, just tench and rudd. Pleasant to fish there but bit of a trek for me now.
Another one I know is just one big carp free lake on it, very nice place with a farm shop and pick your own fruit as well. It is still what I call contrived fishing (it has barbel in it which I am not a fan of) but these are the sort of places worth looking for, they are not well known and only lightly advertised, better than the big well known proper commercials a lot of the time but not always.
There is one at Golbourne near Warrington, has a few pools and canal style lake ,that has a farm shop.
One in Irlam near Manchester, has a farm shop, tackle shop and a proper cafe that the locals use for dinners, It does brilliant food, and a decent price.only commercial I have been that has proper tables with table cloths on them and place mats.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There is one at Golbourne near Warrington, has a few pools and canal style lake ,that has a farm shop.
One in Irlam near Manchester, has a farm shop, tackle shop and a proper cafe that the locals use for dinners, It does brilliant food, and a decent price.only commercial I have been that has proper tables with table cloths on them and place mats.
Sounds up my street, you got to pick and choose a bit like wimmin; they come in all shapes and sizes as well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There’s so much good fishing around Oxford on the rivers, canals and streams ~ I wonder why anyone goes to commies?

Alders farm can be “ hook a duck “ too....
I have fished the canal a few times since I have been down here,
Used to fish it years ago as well, it is similar in width to the Shropshire Union canal in Cheshire,
The smaller rivers such as the Cherwell and Windrush are similar in size to the River Dane and River Bollin, they are on my list to fish along with the Thames around Sandford.
Not Fished Alders, Fished Clattercote a few times when i used to have weekends down here.

rayner

Reaction score
I know a nice farm fisherie, not a true commercial really but 3 nice lakes and fairly quiet in the week. One lake is the carp lake, another decent mixed fishing and another no carp, just tench and rudd. Pleasant to fish there but bit of a trek for me now.
Another one I know is just one big carp free lake on it, very nice place with a farm shop and pick your own fruit as well. It is still what I call contrived fishing (it has barbel in it which I am not a fan of) but these are the sort of places worth looking for, they are not well known and only lightly advertised, better than the big well known proper commercials a lot of the time but not always.

Sadly waters has you describe aren't to be found near to me Mark.
All that's available are fisheries with limited stock to the odd one verging stuffed to the gunnels. The club waters that were mentioned by Mike aren't so widely available if there are any they don't appear to be advertised on a quick search I did earlier, I'm not yet ready to stop looking. I will if all my efforts fail have a word with chrissh he's clued up on most thing fishing locally.

peterjg

Reaction score
Hang on a minute Rayner! Only a short time ago you were arguing and telling us how good commercials were - changed your tune! Now you're spot they are mostly horrible!

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
Had a good day on Boating Lake, Chapel St Leonards catching roach to 1lb 8oz on corn & float one summer. Anyone knowing lakes I was in corner next to toilets right by small fair which was playing Beatles songs all day...lol

Badgerale

Reaction score
After living in that London for twenty odd years, I recently moved back to the area I grew up in. One of the best things about that is that I can go fishing again.

Brilliant, but things have definitely changed since I was away. Commercials existed back in my day, and I fished one occasionally, but they were the exception not the rule. Now it seems like they are everywhere... these are my observations:

1. Swims marked out clearly, with gravel or woodchip, and an expectation you will only fish in the marked swims.
2. Carp, carp everywhere... and for a lot of people carp fishing is the only fishing. There may be other fish in there but they are 'nuisance fish'.
3. I wasn't sure if I was catching carp or crucians and had to google what a F1 is... I see no reason for these to exist.
4. Bite alarms form a constant background noise.
5. In some lakes people could drive to their swims. I get that there are a lot of people with disabilities, and this is great for them, but seeing a car next to each swim just seems ridiculous.

Ultimately, it's not for me, and I did eventually find more 'natural' waters to fish, but I don't have a problem with Commercials existing - it's just preference. I don't like baked beans either, or superhero films, or women with drawn on eyebrows... but I have no problem accepting that people do like them, and they are doing something for someone... so why should it bother me.

And honestly, i won't say never to the carper thing. If you can find the right lake you can sit back, relax, enjoy the scenery, maybe read a book, while waiting for a big fish to give you a screaming bite. That's not a bad life either.

steve2

Reaction score
Good summing up on just how I see modern commercials and modern version of was once called angling. Where did it all go so wrong.

rayner

Reaction score
Hang on a minute Rayner! Only a short time ago you were arguing and telling us how good commercials were - changed your tune! Now you're spot they are mostly horrible!

More than a little harsh Pete my old son. I've never said how good they are I may have said I've taught myself to enjoy fishing them because they are my only option.
Just in case I'm remembering wrongly can you direct me to any post I have said how good commercials are.
When my circumstances changed and I was unable to fish rivers, canals and my own particular favourite reservoirs, my only choice was to fish locally in ponds I fished when I was a lad. On the whole, the same ponds looked similar to when I fished them in the 60s.
Of course, the stock had altered plus stagings had been added with the addition of new ponds, a good look around the fishery and the site was nothing resembling how it was.
I hope this small synopsis of how I came to fish commercials clears up any confusion caused to lead you into believing I think they are good.
I hope you can also understand when I get a little riled to hear all the negativity from some especially when I fish where I do or not at all.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rayner, please accept my apologies. I was unaware of your circumstances. I stand corrected, regards.

rayner

Reaction score
Peterjg, My circumstances are not an issue for me, I will accept your apology but for your mistake thinking I think commercials are good. It's a remark I never made. I do thank fishery owners, without them I couldn't get near water. A long step from thinking they are good, I'd say an unavoidable necessity for me. The stocking of such waters is really secondary, not my choice but what can I do!
I wouldn't call them horrible, I would say when every peg is taken it does rancor a little when there's plenty of room it dulls the rancor loads.

Sean89

Reaction score
Another one I know is just one big carp free lake on it, very nice place with a farm shop and pick your own fruit as well. It is still what I call contrived fishing (it has barbel in it which I am not a fan of) but these are the sort of places worth looking for, they are not well known and only lightly advertised, better than the big well known proper commercials a lot of the time but not always
Where is this? Fished Alders on Sunday and was disgusted by the condition of the fishes mouths. Heartbreaking

Reaction score
That is due to forever chasing enormous weights in matches at Alders,almost like bleak fishing,it has developed into speed fishing to amass a winning bag,I look back at the inception of such fisheries and how we were stunned at the fact that 100lbs plus winning weights were occuring fairly regularly,maybe stock levels should be reduced again,why is it deemed necessary to catch 2/3/400lb winning weights,shameful really imo..

Sean89

Reaction score
I wanted to fish the mixed lake pines but due to the spring league starting again it was full so had to settle for the little pump pond, honestly i should have taken pictures. I do intend to fish pines eventually but if told only pump is free I think a’ll just drive home. Be a nice pond to carry on teaching my daughter but once she gets one on the bank and see’s the mouth i believe she’ll be put off. Not a pretty sight!

rayner

Reaction score
I prefer to believe that the cause of damage to fishes mouths/lips is more the fault of less experienced anglers than matchmen who I heard have been blamed mostly by folk who can not bring themselves to fish such waters.
It has nothing to do with the amount of stock in waters. No angler intentionally causes damage to their quarry. Owners would be far from allowing anglers to damage fish, they promote good fish handling skills or at least they do where I fish.

Sean89

Reaction score
I completely agree. Some fisheries bailiffs will come round to check your set up and others don’t. I’m in favour of having set ups checked and punishment where applicable

rayner

Reaction score
If bailiffs were to promote fish health care that would be acceptable. I'm sure you are aware most fishery rules are geared to generate cash.
I am against ridiculous rules some fisheries have on their rules board.
Fishery own pellets is a case in point.
The only reason to check a fishing set up would be to check if barbless hooks are being used. If the angler is indeed using barbed hooks they should be banned for life. I hate barbed hooks with a vengeance, apart from not being needed they are a mare for me to extract.

Sean89

Reaction score
I know some places where only fishery pellets and groundbait are permitted. Sorry when I said set up I meant barbed hooks, the sport has no place for them.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most commercials I have fished, I cannot say I have found any excess fish mouth damage, I think the barbless rules helps that and most owners do care for their fish welfare; at least the ones I have spoken to. I adhere to their rules, nearly all I have visited make sure nets are dipped to help prevent disease and some baits are banned, I assume because they are considered harmful to fish. And some have on hand tuition for youngsters and novices where I am sure proper playing and landing of fish is taught. I cant speak for all commercials or heavily match fished ones because I don't fish those lakes as a rule but generally I think fish care is as high on the agenda as any club on any good well run commercial. And probably better monitored because there is usually someone in authority in situ all the time.

Last edited: