If you want to share your Swim with a canoeist…

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If these canoeists showed some consideration for anglers on the river, and lets be honest not a lot of them do, then it wouldn't be a problem but most of them seem hellbent on charging all over the river splashing and shouting and show absolutely no consideration whatsoever. They earn the backlash that anglers sometimes give them by catapulting 'objects' at them or even worse in a few instances.

Over the years I've encountered all sorts of problems as a result of boats, even water skiers on the Trent (legally by the way) charging up the river at high speed and washing your gear away if you weren't careful. There is a speed limit on all inland waterways and few boat users abide by them but when did you last hear of anyone being charged for doing so (excepting the Fens). Misusing our waterways should be enforced and if they had a licence, that they paid for, then a penalty system plus fines like road users have might deter them somewhat.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
As I have posted on FM before the EA is doing the canoeists work for them. Slowly but ever so surely (or very fast on my club waters) the EA is approaching riparian owners and getting access 'agreements' very often without the involvement of the angling clubs/associations paying for the rights to fish. In my own clubs situation we were invited to attend a 'river users forum' AFTER the canoe access had been agreed. When I was first contacted by the EA the conversation went 'I'm calling to inform you (my club) what WE have decided re: canoe access on YOUR waters.

No consultation what so ever, and this is happening all over England and Wales. If the A.T. doesn't act NOW it will be too late. It's all well and good putting out policy statements but without action these are meaningless.

It would appear that when canoe access is concerned EA cash and resources is not a problem and endless, what they want they get; even car parking, toilet, shower and changing facilities.

I actually attended one of these river users forums and was alarmed at hearing that canoe activity was taking place after dark. I suggested it could be a real problem for the sea trout anglers who are expected the share the water WE PAY FOR, the chair of the forum, an EA 'person' actually suggested that anglers wear lights about their body. This just shows what p***ks we are expected to... I was going to put 'work with' but that evidently is not the case.

I must say that before the EA became involved, first with the Brighton Uni study and now going direct to the riparian owners, my club had a perfectly workable arrangement with the Durham University canoe club; they would contact the club to check whether we were holding any event and asked which part of the river they could use. Now with the EA's involvement every Tom **** and Harriet are coming down the river at any time day AND night.

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
sorry klik missed your post
no I dont belong to any and no Im not interested any more

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I was talking to the match secretary of the Hereford AA tonight and the subject of the canoes was brought up by me. The good news is that the proposed new launching point for these monstrosities can't be built without The Hereford AA's permission because they own that land and no way will they allow it to happen.

Thought I would share that with you.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
This is the letter my club received AFTER the previously mentioned telephone call from the EA

Letter to Landowners and angling
Interests between Shincliffe
Bridge and the Sands

Our ref:
Your ref:

Date: 4th March 2007

Dear

Wear Canoe Access Pilot Project
River Wear between Shincliffe Bridge and the Sands

Thank you for your involvement with this pilot project over the last twelve months. The national project carried out by Brighton University has now finished and we are working locally to reach a conclusion on the issues the pilot has raised. Attached is a brief position statement explaining what we propose to do next.

After consulting with landowners and recreational users,(sadly not with anglers) we have decided to continue the negotiation of a voluntary canoe access agreement for the River Wear between Shincliffe Bridge and the Sands.

Barbara Pike, our Recreation Officer, will contact you shortly to take this work forward. If you are not the appropriate representative of your organisation to deal with this matter please contact Barbara at the address below with the appropriate person’s contact details.

If we are unable to achieve significant progress towards a voluntary agreement for canoe access along this stretch of the river by May 2007 we will consider stopping work on this initiative. In this eventuality, some landowners have already expressed a wish to dedicate a Right of Open Access under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CROW) Act.

We will be working closely with all of the landowners and user groups over the next few weeks to negotiate a voluntary access agreement that is acceptable to all parties and sustainable in the long term. If you would like any further information about the canoe access pilot project in the mean time, please contact Barbara Pike at the address below.

Yours sincerely

Dr J B Hogger
Environment Manager

Direct dial 0191 203 4040
e-mail john.hogger@environment-agency.gov.uk

coelacanth

Reaction score
Tragic though it is, I think the recent news BBC News - Canoeist dies on River Dart 'mad mile' from the River Dart shows the level of responsibility that canoeists will potentially show towards themselves, their friends and other river users.
Going on a spate river in the current weather conditions isn't "EXTREME!!" or "ON THE EDGE!!", it's just effing stupid and selfish. Emergency services have much better things to do than attending to people deliberately putting themselves in harm's way.

tcups

Reaction score
i do a bit of canoeing/kayaing and have found that most of the people that canoe dont care about anglers. as an angler i will always stop and ask where they are fishing and then keep away from where they are baiting so as not to disturb the swim. on the kayaking trips iv been on iv often found that i am the only person to vacate the water and walk around the bank so as to not disturb the anglers swim others will just go straight through..

i would give up kayaking rather than pay as i only go 2-3 times per year if that if i go on a river. the rest of the time its on a private stretch of canal no one fishes

i would choose fishing over canoing though as its far more relaxing...apart from all the bloody canoeists going through the swim lol

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

i also dont understand why canoeist would need a jetty or launching stage to get into the water. why cant they jus go down the edge of a bank at the safeist point like i do...crazy ppl

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Canoes in south yorks

Hi guys , im involved with trying to stop canoe gaining acces to the river Dearne in south yorkshire.The EA in this region have totally by passed any angling veiws and gone along with implementing a so called recreation policy that it simply non river specific.

The Dearne is no more than 20 yards wide in most places and not wide enough to allowing the two sports to take place comfortably.

It matters not who was there first ( angling by many many years).

I dont have a problem with canoeing on rivers like the trent or Don , and ther miles of canal near me that is more than 40 meters wide, but why must they insist that they use the Dearne.

The propaganda that they BCU spew out is disgusting. We are not selfish anglers we just want a fair crack of the wip and the EA are in bed with the Canoes.

dont let them ruin our sport
BSC