I'm really getting tired..................

dezza

Reaction score
Walker's record was caught in 1952 and there certainly were no carp sacks or any other devices around for retaining a big fish alive in those days, 59 years ago if my arithmetic is correct.

So what's wrong with a large hessian sack?

As regards a detailed drawing of a rod pod, in this case for one rod only, turn to page 252 of your copy of: "A History of Carp Fishing Revisited" by Kevin Clifford.

But I've mentioned this not a few days ago.

noknot

Reaction score
Walker's record was caught in 1952 and there certainly were no carp sacks or any other devices around for retaining a big fish alive in those days, 59 years ago if my arithmetic is correct.

As regards a detailed drawing of a rod pod, in this case for one rod only, turn to page 252 of your copy of: "A History of Carp Fishing Revisited" by Kevin Clifford.

But I've mentioned this not a few days ago.
Um Oxygen and water flow, plus a very harsh material, and as for "turn to page 252 of your copy of: "A History of Carp Fishing Revisited" I do not have one Ron, then again why should I have?

dezza

Reaction score
The sacks they used then were obviously not perfect but one could obtain open woven sacks which were not bad.

My old friend the late Ray Webb made a big landing net out of a large sack, as did Bob Reynolds of Billing Aquadrome fame.

If you are interested in any aspect of the history of angling, especially carp fishing, a copy of the aforementioned book would be of great help to you in understanding what it was like in the UK just after the war. An appreciation and knowledge of the history of any human endeavour is invaluable.

noknot

Reaction score
Ron, I have read many books on Carp angling over the years and have a good idea about the history of Carp angling, which is enough for me as I do not live in the past or need to name drop in every other post! Do you really think you are the only one to have met "names"? Then think again!

Antway, we are right off of the thread topic........

noknot

Reaction score
Sorry but I do not name drop!

And you comment on sacks proves to me that you know very little about the history of carp fishing.
"My old friend the late Ray Webb made a big landing net out of a large sack, as did Bob Reynolds of Billing Aquadrome fame."
I know enough Ron...........:wh

dezza

Reaction score
Ray Webb was in my group, I fished with him from the age of 19.

Bob Reynolds was known by all who were part of the NASG. I was simply stating facts. Name dropping is done by those who are trying to impress.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Good and bad in all walks of life and fishermen are no different...

Actually I 'name dropped' recently when I asked someone if they knew Ron Clay.......

noknot: When you get to Ron's age (or mine for that matter!) as likely as not you to will drop the occasional name. It comes with age IMO.
Its the same as looking back over the 'good old years', remembered because we like to forget the bad ones......Its all too easy to apportion blame and point fingers so I would suggest everyone puts their own house in order and gets on with fishing..

I'm not altogether sure if threads like this prove anything as they usually end up in a slanging match with most people only interested only in what they've got to say and never really listening to another point of view.
Isn't it more important to think about our fishing and if our children will have the sport to enjoy in the future......

ps No, they didn't know Ron, not even when I said 'sweetcorn Ron'!!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
its hilarious how now matter what the hobby , there are forums dedicated to it and in those forums these kind of arguments.

I've seen bitter disputes , worse than anything I've seen on here , on a canoeing forum , not the sporty rapids canoeists but the gentle beardy types going for it full tilt on a forum.

I've done it myself a couple of times , ( might have had a little drink ) , its human nature , I wish I was one of the cool guys who never seems annoyed , or p*ssed off on a forum.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Benny: yes ,but then you would be a boring old fart with nothing to say............A 'Cool guy', but still boring!!

Have a few more drinks-its Sunday after all!!

ps I shall be watching for your next 'controversial' post!!

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Me thinks Mr noknot is having his string pulled. Mr Contradiction, Sorry Mr Clay is a master puller.

Reaction score
I shall have ask our computer boffin to look out some "handbags" smilies!!;)

Blimey Benny..he really had wound you up...mind you dragging family into these things is totally out of order.:mad:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I shall have ask our computer boffin to look out some "handbags" smilies!!;)

Blimey Benny..he really had wound you up...mind you dragging family into these things is totally out of order.:mad:

All this cobblers after I proposed that 2lb roach were becoming common on commercials where they co-exist with carp and no real piscine predators are allowed. I felt silly afterwards but at the time I was really p*ssed off , but thats the nature of forums I suppose, hence the title of this thread.

I suppose if people can be idiots at times on forums , which I am , they can also be very funny , kind and generous.

Philip

Reaction score

...well, I suspect they are one of the reasons why Walkers 41 & a half pound Carp weighed 44 pounds when it got to the zoo. The sack rubbed most of its slime off & the fish bloated out with water...