Improvising houshold or other items for fishing

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I only thought of starting this thread as I bought a cheap tripod for my binoculars for £4 in a charity shop. However, they don't really work so I thought what could I use them for. So I have decided they will make a good tripod for fishing off the beach or rocks, adjustable legs, not substantial enough for rough sea but OK for light beach fishing. Need to find a rod rest attachment for the top though. They fold away to about a 12 inches in length and very light so they can go in my bag; should be ideal for propping my carp rod with 2oz weight on in a light sea, the legs and top piece extend to about 4/5ft and adjustable angle on the head, would these suit a canal or something?.
I have two rod rests for beach fishing but they are big and heavy, one a home made tripod and the other a big bit of heavy angle iron that pushes into the sand/shingle so these will be better for traveling light.
So just out of interest, does anyone else have any suggestions for utilizing stuff for fishing, coarse, fly or sea.?
View attachment 6272

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I’ve been using camera tripods for fishing for a long time. They are very good on concrete or rocky banks but best suited to single rod use….quiver tipping, float fishing etc.. The legs don’t tend to splay wide enough for multiple rods and they topple over too easily. Car boot sales are good places to get them.

One piece of advice I would give anyone modifying a camera tripod for fishing is don’t worry too much about trying to keep the tilt head section at the top. Most camera tripods tilt at the top with the use of an arm that sticks off at an angle that you loosen to tilt and then screw tight to hold in position. That arm will just get in the way, catch line and adds weight. Just take the whole head & arm section off if you can. You can impart a tilt if you need it by just extending one of the legs slightly.

The current one I modified and use I did just that and took off the entire head section and put a bankstick down the center tube. The bonus is I can just use it as normal bankstick as well if I want…

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thats a good idea Phillip, I think I will do that. I am also thinking it might be a bit to unstable at the base in a strong wind or sea but a light sea and light wind it should be OK which is what I mainly fish in these days.. I can always bury the legs a bit in the shingle or shingle. I will see how it goes, it will save me carrying a big heavy rest and packs up nicely in my bag which appeals to me.

seth49

Reaction score
When I used one I found that a carrier bag filled with sand or gravel from were I was fishing, made them more stable by hanging it on the tripod.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When I used one I found that a carrier bag filled with sand or gravel from were I was fishing, made them more stable by hanging it on the tripod.

Nice one, I can do that with pebbles or sand on the beach; I usually have a spare carrier bag with me.. :)

mikench

Reaction score
I have done similar with a tripod. I screwed a Korum quick change cam into the top so I can attach a rod rest or a buzzer.

I also use a Lidl mini chopper for liquidised bread!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive posted these before but some may not have seen them.

For wooden platforms I use this

s8IGZUk.jpg

For impenetrable ground I use this filled with water for ballast

7Psat6o.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
2" rubber bands instead of using the line clip on reel spools - line will pull from under if need be.

Stationers A4 plastic document cases - the ones about 2cm thick - to hold sets of pole winders.

Cheap soft pencil cases to hold sundry irregularly shaped bits - pole pots, meat punches etc.

Ziploc bags to replace groundbait bags, which always tear and become useless when you open them.

Small hairspray bottles to spray dilute flavours, damp pellets etc.

Spare spools protected in an old sock.

Wide-topped 5l water bottles for uncooked hemp and wheat, pellets etc

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice idea John, I would never have thought of that and the first one could be used on railings although not necessary sometimes kinder to the rod.

years ago I was fishing for Bass off a pier, they hung under the pier and trying to get a lure under it meant hanging over the railings with the rod pointed downwards so the current dragged the lure under the pier. There was a nasty cross beam full of mussels down there as well. So I invented a rod rest that bolted onto the railing using a scaffolding clamp with a long rod rest welded to it. This hung out and down towards the water and with the rod strapped to it I could let the lure waft around under the pier in the current without holding it all day. The artificial prawn made by Storm lures was very effective although I am not sure you can get them anymore, if you find them, might be very effective on your bass trips off the beach. but you will need weight on the line.
Anyway, my contraption looked very odd and got a few smirks from the locals but it worked. caught some nice bass like that, the rod would just suddenly wrap round and I thought I was going to lose the lot on a few occasions but it held and the smirking stopped.:)

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
John's water container rod rest.... reminded me of the barbel angler I saw on a concrete bank. His rod rest was stuck into the top of a traffic cone !

browndog

Reaction score
Tupperware containers (other brands are available) are waterproof strong, much better than "real" angling tackle boxes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Plastic asda baggs over me boots and held up with laccy bands instead of wellies.....trend settin' :cool:.
Bin liners if you want thigh waders :eek:mg:.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was a lad I used to use my mums hair curlers for feeders and I sometimes used car Spark plugs for my leger weights.

Keith

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Any large bag for life to store spare keepnets and landing nets in. Ideal hung up on a shed or garage wall. Before I had a seat box with a footplate I used to use squares of old carpet to put my feet on when fishing.Kept the cold and damp out,this was before thermal boots and socks, I used to cut foot shapes from newspapers and put them in the bottom of my wellies to help keep feet warm.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When I was a lad I used to use my mums hair curlers for feeders and I sometimes used car Spark plugs for my leger weights.

Keith
I still have a couple of spark plugs in my fishing weights with the ends bashed over and various sized stones with holes in them for float fishing and fishing over snag ground. Often find a stone or two and the odd old spark plug, come in handy sometimes..

john step

Reaction score
before thermal boots and socks, I used to cut foot shapes from newspapers and put them in the bottom of my wellies to help keep feet warm.

As an aside I have been wondering how as kids we fished with ordinary wellies in the depth of winter with no extra socks, just jeans and no thermal bib and brace, no umbrella and just a cycle cape for protection should it snow or rain.

I suppose that would be considered in poverty now but then it was just normal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
As an aside I have been wondering how as kids we fished with ordinary wellies in the depth of winter with no extra socks, just jeans and no thermal bib and brace, no umbrella and just a cycle cape for protection should it snow or rain.

I suppose that would be considered in poverty now but then it was just normal.

Too young to feel the cold when your young John. Mine were hand me downs, usually an old duffle coat with the buttons missing, you were a bit spoiled, cycle cape!:).

I tried the plastic bags over your feet once, supposed to make your feet sweat but I didn't find it made much difference, better cold beating footwear and socks around now thank god. I have often tried to think up a battery operated heat producing system to go inside the wellies or boots, some sort of filament in the soles or in a sock lining maybe; I am sure it must be possible.

Last edited: