In a Spin, Part 6 - Small Time Spinning

Frothey

Reaction score
Great stuff Jeff - I've probably had more fun catching "bait" sized bass on light gear this year than anything else. Be nice if a double came along though...... :)

Shrek

Reaction score
Can't believe you had to "doctor" the photo's though to show one of Kevin Perkins with a fish. Come on, everyone knows he's a complete blanker!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Actually, I was going to have Jeff charged with nepotism, as family member Connor got a mention in the article, but I didn't. I thought about suing for infringement of image rights too, but decided that anonimity was the best policy, until I got spotted.......!!!

Barney 2

Reaction score
Great article, thanks Jeff. It certainly has got me fired up to get back to spinning ASAP!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Actually, I was going to have Jeff charged with nepotism, as family member Connor got a mention in the article, but I didn't. I thought about suing for infringement of image rights too, but decided that anonimity was the best policy, until I got spotted.......!!!

Sorry Kevin, but it's not very easy to put captions under pictures unless they're the only items on that line, v.v. the lures pic and the rod/reel pic. Connors is easy because it's the headline pic and asks for a caption.

Not so sorry about using your picture since I own the royalty on it. And no, I didn't doctor it, he did catch one. So that's one perch and one tench he's caught - in his life. I know he'll have had more, but there is no proof of such. :wh

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Well.........

There was one carp and one bream at Clattercote, in seperate sessions, I will admit. I even had the carp weighed in, so I'm not making that up.

Apart from that.............

Oh yes, AND one trout at the FM fluff-flinging day

Last edited:

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Mines bigger than yours......

Really good read woody,anyone thinking of taking up lure fishing or just having a dabble this autumn/winter can`t fail to learn something from this and the previous instalments.
I love my spinners and they`re the ones that always get the most use in my collection.
If i can just add one more comment....mines bigger than yours ! I`ve got Mepps Aglias in size 7.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
LOL.....very good.
I`ve also got some of those abu spinners that you had pictured.Not had a chance to use them yet.
I must admit though that Abu do an excellent range of lures.

dazdidge

Reaction score
A great article that inspired me to walk down to the river severn with my spinning rod. first cast hooked a small jack, second cast lost a much bigger fish!

thanks for rekindling my old fetish for pike!

Lark

Reaction score
Very enjoyable peice Jeff, as usual - so much so that I've decided to take up the art again for the first time since the 70's! Went down to Kings yesterday and bought myself a shiny new 8ft rod - hopefully I'll get a session or two in next week. It's going to be a lot different to waving the floppy glass spinning rods or the 10ft washing poles I used to use 30-odd years ago (I bought a lovely ABU 7ft rod and baitcaster reel combo in the early 80's and never used it - gave it to a neighbour who does about ten years ago.)
Cheers,
Martin.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
That was partly the idea John. Well done.

Lark, I hope you mentioned my name in Kings. The amount of business I've generated for young Davey this season is unbelievable, mostly through selling tickets for the Jubilee. He'll either owe me a Christmas drink or put me on commission! ;)

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
With the rivers being out of sorts lately, just maybe this is what I need to get my juices flowing again. And to think I was even considering going carping :wh

Lark

Reaction score
Jeff - I did indeed mention your article to Davey as the reason why I'd suddenly got the spinning bug again. Bumped into Phil while I was in there as well. He was off fluff-chucking somewhere in Hampshire.
Cheers,
Martin.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fancying a quick couple of hours fishing yesterday and inspired by this I went for spinning session on the local river. I have some old Mepps and a 10' light spinning rod (doubles up as a holiday Harbour mullet float rod hence the length) and had a go. A no. 2 Mepps with black blade and yellow spots brought 2 perch plus a jack but a switch to a copper blade brought another 8 perch to a pound plus 4 more pike - best only 5lbs but all good fun.:)

dazdidge

Reaction score
A great article that inspired me to walk down to the river severn with my spinning rod. first cast hooked a small jack, second cast lost a much bigger fish!

And the good thing is that this particular fetish of mine is totally legal and does not require dressing up.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fancying a quick couple of hours fishing yesterday and inspired by this I went for spinning session on the local river. I have some old Mepps and a 10' light spinning rod (doubles up as a holiday Harbour mullet float rod hence the length) and had a go. A no. 2 Mepps with black blade and yellow spots brought 2 perch plus a jack but a switch to a copper blade brought another 8 perch to a pound plus 4 more pike - best only 5lbs but all good fun.:)

Crumbs Mark, you'll be giving up the trotting rod at that rate! Well done.
:rolleyes: