Inflatable Kayak (New to kayaking and want to buy)

emmamark

Reaction score
I have recently become very interested in buying an inflatable kayak, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I want a two-person inflatable kayak and will be using it mainly in the ocean for cruising the shoreline (possibly doing a little fishing). I and my buddy have a combined weight of 460lbs. I want an inflatable kayak because I have nowhere to store a large kayak.

My question: what is the minimum cost to get set up with all that is needed (kayak, oars, pump, carrying bag)? I don't want a cheap kayak, so no Coleman crap, but I'm a student and don't have lots of money. Is under $500 reasonable? Is an ocean kayak much different from the other types of kayaks? Any suggestions on brands or manufacturers I should be looking for? I live in the San Fernando Valley, any suggestions on places to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am new to kayaking so any suggestions will be helpful.

emmamark

Reaction score
I have recently become very interested in buying an inflatable kayak, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I want a two-person inflatable kayak and will be using it mainly in the ocean for cruising the shoreline (possibly doing a little fishing). I and my buddy have a combined weight of 460lbs. I want an inflatable kayak because I have nowhere to store a large kayak.

My question: what is the minimum cost to get set up with all that is needed (kayak, oars, pump, carrying bag)? I don't want a cheap kayak, so no Coleman crap, but I'm a student and don't have lots of money. Is under $500 reasonable? Is an ocean kayak much different from the other types of kayaks? Any suggestions on brands or manufacturers I should be looking for? action camera for kayaking I live in the San Fernando Valley, any suggestions on places to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am new to kayaking so any suggestions will be helpful.
thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

fishface1

Reaction score
Hi, this is predominantly a U.K. site so you
may not get the advice you want as US prices/availability will be different.

I’ve had an inflatable kayak from the Sevylor range for the last few years (about £300, I think by that was precovid/Brexit price so probably more now)

You’ll need a pair of paddles and they range from 10’s to 100’s of £.

Most importantly you’ll need buoyancy aids, starting from £50ish for a sensible one.

Then there’s paddle leashes, dry bags, vhf radios etc - you can end up spending a lot. I would say, just don’t skimp on the safety stuff. I have radios and flares for any offshore paddling.

fishface1

Reaction score
Offshore paddling - I wouldn’t and don’t do that in my inflatable as I have a number of hard ‘yaks too.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The only bit of advice I can give you is inflatables are very susceptible to wind and currents, they are light and get blown off course easily so be careful especially at sea. I would make sure your well informed of the weather especially the wind and rip/tide currents if you do buy one and go out in it. If you only have human power it can get tricky.

bullet

Reaction score
My top tip....always take the repair kit and pump with you.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have seen a few up the Thames and they looked fairly good, not sure I would want to go in the sea in one though, unless it was very calm and I stayed within 100/200 yds. of the shore. I did watch a bloke paddling around once just off the pier with a set of mackerel feathers attached to the aft, I never saw him catch any but I am not sure I would want a load of mackerel leaping about in an inflatable, they have sharp fins.

bullet

Reaction score
I had a Sevylor tandem some time back, one of the good quality ones, cost about £650 with all the bits iirc.
Had some great times in it, my favourite being a holiday in St Cado in France on the Etel Ria.
Get launched on the rising tide, paddle a couple of miles with the current to a fantastic Oyster Shack, few Oysters and bits washed down with a decent Muscadet, then a short paddle to little deserted beach on an Island to relax for a while, then back to St Cado on the ebb. Obviously a bit of fishing as well!
Had some nice Bass off it around Devon and stacks of Mackerel when conditions were favourable. It was very robust, with a kind of woven covering. I was always careful with hooks, but you didn't need to be paranoid.

Philip

Reaction score
I have to say I was put off inflatable kayaks after watching a couple of guys trying to paddle up a moderatly fast river. The problem was the Kayak was just not rigid enough..even pumped to the max there was still too much flex and they were really struggling to paddle forward.

I have a small plastic rigid job, basic but nothing to rust or rot, I just leave it behind the shed. I transport it on a roof rack and can manage the loading and unloading fairly easily on my own…but yes you do need more room to store it.

It is good fun to get out for paddle from time to time with a few bits of tackle..it opens up a while new avenue of fishing.