Interesting Trent barbel size?

dicky123

Reaction score
I don't really know a lot about this, but as I'm laid up with this broken wrist, I'm reading a lot of bits and pieces.

Bob Roberts wrote a piece saying (roughly) that most Trent anglers fishing around the local weir pools are deceiving themselves that lots of big barbel are present. He implied on some beats the anglers out weigh the fish.

He stated that there were only a very few big fish over 14lb. And that a fish of that size was a fish of a lifetime. And that those bigger were simply recaptured over again.
I just wondered on those who fish the Trent like myself think.
I'm not really bothered, as I just love catching barbel, but I do always think that big fish is around some-place! Ive taken far few doubles to worry about size, but know many that do by the way they fish.

Sorry I cannot find the exact piece, its on his own site somewhere.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've never fished the Trent but have caught many of my largest barbel in the slacks and backwaters , in fact it is quite probable that you have a better chance of catching a large fish from a deep slower swim than the fast areas and weir pools. Not because the large fish are not in residence but because there will be so many smaller fish about.....

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Dear old 2bobs.

For sure on some of the smaller rivers recaptures of the bigger fish, as reported, frequently happens. The repeat captures of smaller fish just happen.

Certainly on those heavily angler populated sections like Collingham of course the fish are caught more often. It's hardly rockets science is it!?

However, many other parts of the Trent don't receive that sort of pressure. The last session for me, away from the crowds gave 3 good doubles with no hookmarks noted.

Usual controvesial (attempted anyway) offering to keep in the news

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Read the piece.

Gosh, really showing his age. As if those "famous anglers" didn't ever receive rewards for their efforts is completely inaccurate, however you want to feel.

Just look through some of the old magazines circa '50 and 60's and see the Ads.

Mr. Grumpy looking through rose tinted glasses. Of course, many of us olduns do. But times change, To knock whats happening today is simply jealousy in many cases.

Anyway, of to Brighton on the Vespa. See you Rockers there.

john step

Reaction score
I think those biggest barbel are quite thin on the ground. Why shouldn't they be. They are probably at the back end of their lives.

I have often wondered if the barbel move frequently. One time all the fish seem to be a close size and then another time in the same stretch they are different by some margin but again close to their shoal companions in size.

I think this is why you hear some angler or other saying he had 3 doubles one after the other in a session. I think a shoal of similar year class fish may be moving along together.

I do know there are not double figure barbel on every peg as some optimists would have you believe.

I cannot recall the barbel record size of my youth but I think a double then would have been an impossible dream.
Anyone recall the old record circa early 60s?

barbelboi

Reaction score

I believe that a 14lb plus fish was caught in the late 1800's (Thames?) and equaled a couple of times pre- 1940ish (another from the Thames and possibly the Hampshire Avon?)

B

binka

I believe that a 14lb plus fish was caught in the late 1800's (Thames?) and equaled a couple of times pre- 1940ish (another from the Thames and possibly the Hampshire Avon?)

Yup...

413501869.jpg

:)

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Only one entry for the whole of the 60's, in 1962 with a 13lb 12oz Royalty fish.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Cheers Steve, couldn't remember the exact weights - got the rivers in the wrong order as well...................:)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes i think both HA fish caught by salmon anglers on jardine tackled sprats.

Reaction score
I don't really know a lot about this, but as I'm laid up with this broken wrist, I'm reading a lot of bits and pieces.

Bob Roberts wrote a piece saying (roughly) that most Trent anglers fishing around the local weir pools are deceiving themselves that lots of big barbel are present. He implied on some beats the anglers out weigh the fish.

He stated that there were only a very few big fish over 14lb. And that a fish of that size was a fish of a lifetime. And that those bigger were simply recaptured over again.
I just wondered on those who fish the Trent like myself think.
I'm not really bothered, as I just love catching barbel, but I do always think that big fish is around some-place! Ive taken far few doubles to worry about size, but know many that do by the way they fish.

Sorry I cannot find the exact piece, its on his own site somewhere.

Sorry to hear of your wrist ****y,hope you didn't have a plate and screws too,drove me nuts....

Philip

Reaction score
Yes i think both HA fish caught by salmon anglers on jardine tackled sprats.

Wasnt there also a supposed 17lb Avon fish caught out of season by a salmon angler when the record was 13.12 ....I dont think it was ever totally confirmed and details were a bit sketchy but someone may know...

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Wasnt there also a supposed 17lb Avon fish caught out of season by a salmon angler when the record was 13.12 ....I dont think it was ever totally confirmed and details were a bit sketchy but someone may know...

As the record was 14.6 in 1888 it could be a bit sketchy...................

thecrow

Reaction score

I take no notice of Mr Roberts and his preaching to others that he views as lesser anglers than himself he is a leg end in his own snap time.

He has no idea what is happening on the whole length of the Trent so he can only give his opinions ( which may be far from accurate) on stretches he has first hand, intimate and recent knowledge of.

Vast stretches of the Trent never see an angler year on year others receive very little angling pressure and imo there is every chance that there are lots of fish over 14lbs in the river.

I have been fortunate enough to catch 2 fish over 14lbs in one day from the Trent both were different fish, the same swim that winter produced a 17+ to a friend this was a different fish to the 14s I also know of another different 17+ fish from the same stretch in a different swim, approx. 4 years separated the captures so his maintaining that the larger fish are just recaptures holds no water, indeed fish of that size and bigger have come from the syndicate stretch downstream of Clifton bridge.

I think that sometimes Mr Robert posts something on his page just to stir things up a little but at other times..........................

flightliner

Reaction score
I always understood the HA fish of Aylmer tryon in the thirties was taken on worm from a boat which may explain Grahams saying it was caught by a salmon angler. It was this fishes weight that I always took for the record.
I've equelled and bettered it a few times now with Trent fish but old records spoken of by John Martin the old Trent otter mentions one of seventeen pounds taken on lamprey section at Carlton near the old Trent wharfe but again-- at the time locals from Newark were taking shedliads of lamprey from Collingham weir to sell to longline fishermen in Hull and Grimsby which makes me think the barbel my have been caught in suspicious circumstances.
re Bob Roberts, ( an extremely capable Trent angler)I tend to go along someway with his recaptures theories on the Trent weirs, elsewhere it's a very differant story as Graham says theres lots of water unfished,

Philip

Reaction score
As the record was 14.6 in 1888 it could be a bit sketchy...................

The 14.6 were removed in one of the record shake ups. The 13.12 record was caught in 1962 by Joe Day & held the record for many years after.

The out of season alledged 17lb fish I am talking about I think was caught during the period that Joe Days fish held the record.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
What I find interesting is our Bob, in the piece before lambasts anglers for using too much bait!

Eh? Ring a bell. Like on TV when he said "most anglers don't use enough bait"!!!

And was vitriolic when I said it was ruining some of the smaller water......

Also criticises the use of Fishing Guides. Caer Beris anyone?

Also about how Sponsorship works?

Good Angler for sure but.......pot kettle black.

Get better soon Bob.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I tried it for a day Jason. To get into a club I belong to website. That was enough. Terminated same day.

We are both waiting for a bit of water on the Lower Severn eh Jason

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Thanks Whitty, really kind to think of me.

I broke both the main bones, something the Doctor told me was unusual. We talked about surgery, but apparently Ive pushed one bone into my hand, and pinning would eventually restrict movement he said.

So it's a plaster for 6 weeks then well see? I'm good at all the physiotherapy stuff and will make myself work to get it right once the plaster is off.

But 6 f-inn weeks not fishing or driving is a nightmare to be honest. So I'm hanging around with all you reprobates?:D

****y.