Interesting Trent barbel size?

dicky123

Reaction score
Thanks Graham.

Back to your pal, he also said he caught 100 barbel in two days fishing on the Trent? Now that I do believe:wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Graham.

Back to your pal, he also said he caught 100 barbel in two days fishing on the Trent? Now that I do believe:wh

If that two days was 24 hours of fishing time, the time taken for cast, bite, landing, unhooking and returning of fish give an average of less than 15 minutes per fish. Even a full 48 hours would give less than 30 minutes per fish. By no means impossible, especially if the fish tended to the small side.

However, having had the odd red letter day on Trent barbel myself (20+ fish rather than 50ish), I can't imagine how knackered you'd be catching 100 average (6-12lb ish) Trent barbel over two days. I would never claim to be an image of physical perfection, but on the two red letter days I've had, I knocked off relatively early and woke up the next day painfully aware that I'd had a good work out.

john step

Reaction score
If that two days was 24 hours of fishing time, the time taken for cast, bite, landing, unhooking and returning of fish give an average of less than 15 minutes per fish. Even a full 48 hours would give less than 30 minutes per fish. By no means impossible, especially if the fish tended to the small side.

However, having had the odd red letter day on Trent barbel myself (20+ fish rather than 50ish), I can't imagine how knackered you'd be catching 100 average (6-12lb ish) Trent barbel over two days. I would never claim to be an image of physical perfection, but on the two red letter days I've had, I knocked off relatively early and woke up the next day painfully aware that I'd had a good work out.

Every time I come home home from fishing absolutely knackered and mention the fact to my sandwich maker she chips in with the answer"what do you expect at 68"

I wonder if others get so whacked out.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most barbel i've caught in a session was 43, but there where numerous other species also caught in that session, I didn't take note of their numbers but there where quite a few.
I know a chap who said he had 47 barbel but no other species in the same swim shortly after, he'd been legering so it can't be counted LOL.
Being totally honest it did get very monotonous and quite boring, it was just so easy

I have had sessions similar but got bored of catching them and packed up, maybe I would have beaten that best catch if i'd stayed, but does it matter. I mean once the buzz has gone what's the point in keep winding them in.
It's been a while now since i've been in a position like those and I must admit i'd like to have one again, but you've got to be in it to win it and i'm just not spending enough time in the right places to make it happen.
Regarding large heavy fish, I think there are far fewer than people think there are. Those really big ones must be coming to the end of their lifespans, how many 100 year old people do you know?....if you get my meaning.

theartist

Reaction score
For there to be 100 fish in a shoal that alone would indicate them being of a less than average size so to get that in 48 hrs is easily doable, doesn't mean it's great angling it's just being in the right place at the right time. Barbel aren't hard to catch lets be honest guys and if they are 'on it' they're no different from say Chub in early March or Carp in the first hot spell.

There's also the issue of repeat captures and they do happen quite a bit when they are having it big time, I tend to move on when I recognise a fish for the second time. Keepnets aren't good for Barbel but neither is catching them twice.

If it's 100 fish from ten different swims then 'top danglin' after all we all know where those banker swims are where you can sit out all day catching when the conditions are right

---------- Post added at 05:35 ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 ----------

Every time I come home home from fishing absolutely knackered and mention the fact to my sandwich maker she chips in with the answer"what do you expect at 68"

I wonder if others get so whacked out.

I'm almost half your age mate and I'm cream crackered by the end of the day too, no worries there

---------- Post added at 05:37 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

I have had sessions similar but got bored of catching them and packed up, maybe I would have beaten that best catch if i'd stayed, but does it matter.

Have to ditto that, I didn't want to say I'd rather catch 10 chub 2 Barbel than 12 Barbel on a Barbel thread :eek:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes. Understand those comments.

I caught 20 between 8.30am and 12 midday on the Wye once and became quite frankly bored and packed up. As soon as the bait hit the water the rod went round.

I thought that 100 Trent catch was actually by a mate on a no publicity water I can fish. The publicity actually led to a ban. Shame.

Philip

Reaction score
I had 30 in 5 hours once (I gave up on exactly 5 hours) on a maggot feeder. They were not particularly big but there was 30 of them so I think 100 in 48 hours is well do-able although I have no idea for the Trent as I have never fished it.

dicky123

Reaction score
I don't think he fishes long sessions like that from what I read. So this was two day type sessions. So half that time and see how it comes out?