Is Angling going to the Dogs?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I did a stint as postman for a few years for a couple of reasons,
I was getting fed up with heavy engineering and travelling.
The post office/sorting office in Lymm village was less than 5 minutes from my house. It's the only job I have done were I could book say 2 hours overtime and still be home at my normal time or earlier.
As for dogs , some customers thought it was ok to let them run loose in the road or on their driveways. After a couple of close encounters the houses had to collect their mail. Also a well aimed rear wheel of the pushbike at the dog soon cured it. It was mainly the yappy ones again. The larger breeds were no problem.
Not all dogs were like this, we used to interact with the owners and make a fuss of the dogs especially if we "had been invited in for a cuppa"

nottskev

Reaction score
Clearly, some owners bite, too. Your reply is absurdly personal. It's only common sense, given the stats, to be cautious and wary of dogs, regardless of the claims owners make. Your point that only those with bad intentions need fear dogs is laughable. The conflation of dog attacks on people and male attacks on women just confirms that SOME dog owners (quoting dog attack stats does not amount to tarring all etc - it just refers to reality) will say anything to defend their animals.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well I’ll be b*ggered two people agree to disagree. First time I’ve seen that on the interweb, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Bailey

Feature Writer
Reaction score
trotting.JPG

close-up.JPG

chubpose.jpg

Whatever we might think of the Wye’s problems, good fish are there to be caught... thinks Bailey, the Brown and White Spaniel!

An exhausting day yesterday with my canine namesake. The creature never stops. Up and down, round and round. Watching every cast, barking at every nod on the rod tip, gyrating with excitement when a fish is hooked, hurrying to force his way into every photograph. Who was knackered at the end of the day? Us lot or Bailey?

Perhaps that’s one good thing about Gone Fishing’s Ted? The black little so and so shows no interest in fishing whatsoever and, believe me, what a blessing that can be. But, Bailey. It will be a sad day when you are not there to show us what true passion really means!

barbelphoto.JPG

barbelpose.JPG

flightliner

Reaction score
Well I’ll be b*ggered two people agree to disagree. First time I’ve seen that on the interweb, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had to think for a moment there Ray, one thread a week or so back you wer'nt going to "T--- someone off" but now you're saying you'll be b*ggered. ?

steve2

Reaction score
They have been trained as personal protection dogs. They protect on command. They are also trained to roll over, fetch a ball, sit, give paw, stay clean etc....

It's a big old marble we are on. If we don't like a certain person or what they do we have the freedom and space to "go away"

Chances are if you don't like me or my dogs you don't know me and are therfore not welcome near me anyway ?

I'm a good judge of character and very selective of the people I have around me. Like I said earlier... my dogs enforce a space for me to feel comfortable.
Just pleased I am nowhere near you when you are out with your protection dogs they would it appear would see everyone you don't know as a threat.
Using dogs enforce what you see as your space is surely a reason why these type of dogs should not be on the streets.

John Bailey

Feature Writer
Reaction score
Bailey+pike.JPG

To start with the good news... how Bailey appreciates a good pike! Wanging lures around is his true scene, and he relishes a fish that can bite back!

The other news is not so great.. the EA, that extraordinary organisation, has caved in to Natural England, and is now allowing the controversial and widely criticised fish barrier to go ahead on Hoveton Great Broad. There is no one who can see good in this, apart from NE of course. The EA gave its staff £250,000 to investigate the probable consequences, and the forecasts they came back with were dire. Bream, and all fish life, on the Northern Broads system is almost certainly going to suffer, and the possible benefits on HGB weed growth are nebulous in the extreme. It is yet another example of money wasted by an authority which fails at every twist and turn.

We have no doubt that many EA Fishery staff are well meaning, and sometimes rally to help clubs with lakes in distress and, from time to time, even polluted rivers. In the main, however, the EA is incompetent, weak, and in virtually all areas, failing in its duties. When are we going to cry enough is enough?

John Bailey

Feature Writer
Reaction score
IMG_2228.jpg

Piking Going To The Dogs

It’s been a good couple of weeks for Ian, and especially for Bailey, the pike-mad spaniel.

Two low twenties, from the Wye and a lake, had the excellently-named dog wild with excitement. I was going to entitle this 'The Pike-Possessed Pooch', but thought better of it!

Both fish came to three-inch baits, fished on singles, under small floats on 10lb line. Keeping light and tight, and covering a lot of water kept the tail wagging.

IMG_2821.jpg

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I did a stint as postman for a few years for a couple of reasons,
I was getting fed up with heavy engineering and travelling.
The post office/sorting office in Lymm village was less than 5 minutes from my house. It's the only job I have done were I could book say 2 hours overtime and still be home at my normal time or earlier.
As for dogs , some customers thought it was ok to let them run loose in the road or on their driveways. After a couple of close encounters the houses had to collect their mail. Also a well aimed rear wheel of the pushbike at the dog soon cured it. It was mainly the yappy ones again. The larger breeds were no problem.
Not all dogs were like this, we used to interact with the owners and make a fuss of the dogs especially if we "had been invited in for a cuppa"
Still , better than walking the streets

bennygesserit

Reaction score
One thing that struck me about this thread is if you are a guide and your client blanks do you give them their money back ?

LPP

Reaction score
One thing that struck me about this thread is if you are a guide and your client blanks do you give them their money back ?
Judging by the look on some 'clients' faces, the more difficult ones probably, they may well be thinking just that ! I guess the rest of us enjoy time with the opportunity of catching and the being on the bank fishing?
The dog Bailey probably tips well too....................................................

mikench

Reaction score
You wouldn't want to make that offer to me as you would go bust rapidly.? Stunning pike by the way.