Is it all lead cores leaders now

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Just going to have a go back at carp fishing again after many years, just wondering if lead core leaders are all the rage now. I still have some kryston silkworm braid which I will try again. Can anyone point me to any info on lead core leaders in terms of tying rigs etc, as it looks a little more involved if you need to use leadcore, bearing in mind it may not be as supple as braid( bit of a newbie question I know :) )

Keith M

Reaction score
Lead core leaders are banned on both of my clubs.

I’ve never used it myself but I’ve read that leadcore averages between 45-65lb breaking strain! you wouldn't even dream of using 65lb line so it will always break at the mainline first creating a danger rig where the joining knots stop your lead and lead leader from coming free, and possibly causing a fish to be tethered.

So beware of using it as it might be against the rules of the water/club as well as chancing being dangerous to the Carp after a line break above the leadcore leader.

Keith

Edit: Added the text ‘above the leadcore leader’ at the end of the last sentence to make it a bit clearer.

Last edited:

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Lead core leaders are banned on both of my clubs.

I’ve never used it myself but I’ve read that leadcore averages between 45-65lb breaking strain! you wouldn't even dream of using 65lb line so it will always break at the mainline first creating a danger rig where the joining knots stop your lead and lead leader from coming free, and possibly causing a fish to be tethered.

So beware of using it as it might be against the rules of the water/club as well as chancing being dangerous to the Carp after a line break.

Keith
Thanks, didn’t think of the aspect of it being banned on certain waters.Will stick with good old braid.

Philip

Reaction score
I am a little confused by the OPs question. He mentions leadcore leaders but then mentions silkworm braid.

Hooferinsane - Were you thinking of using leadcore as a hooklink ?

Although it can be used as a hooklink its generally used more as a leader behind the lead (as Keith suggests). The idea being to sink the link running back up to the rod to make it inconspicuous to the fish.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I am a little confused. You mention leadcore leaders but then mention silkworm braid.

Where thinking of using leadcore as a hooklink ?

Although it can be used as a hooklink as Keith suggests its generally used more as a leader behind the lead. The idea being to sink the link running back up to the rod to make it inconspicuous to the fish.

I may not have been clear enough Philip; but I wasn’t talking about using leadcore on hooklinks, I was talking about using it above the lead. Philip.

Although I wouldn’t use it anywhere really.

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
I may not have been clear enough but I wasn’t talking about using leadcore on hooklinks Philip, I was talking about using it above the lead. Philip.

Although I wouldn’t use it anywhere.

Keith

Actually its me that was not clear enough Keith... I know you were not talking about it as a hooklink. :) ..I have amended my post to make it clearer.

Last edited:

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I am a little confused by the OPs question. He mentions leadcore leaders but then mentions silkworm braid.

Hooferinsane - Were you thinking of using leadcore as a hooklink ?

Although it can be used as a hooklink its generally used more as a leader behind the lead (as Keith suggests). The idea being to sink the link running back up to the rod to make it inconspicuous to the fish.

I may not have been clear enough Philip; but I wasn’t talking about using leadcore on hooklinks, I was talking about using it above the lead. Philip.

Although I wouldn’t use it anywhere really.

Keith
Thanks, I see now. It was a misinterpretation of what I have previously read elsewhere. Perhaps I didn’t read into it enough, I took leader to mean the very last part of the ‘line’ , ie hooklink, rather than above the lead. Perhaps a senior moment by myself :).

Philip

Reaction score
No worries...it does get confusing.

Generally speaking the hooklink is the bit you tie the hook to and the leader is the line above the lead that attachs to your mainline.

For beginners I would avoid leadcore anywhere. if you already have a braid like Silkwork thats fine for a hooklink. Nowadays I often just use a bit of my mainline as my hooklink. You really dont need anything fancy. Just make sure its all strong enough.....aim for about 12 to 15lb to start as a rough guide if your after Carp.

john step

Reaction score
Leaders are banned on many waters. I have reverted to good old mono hooklinks and have managed to catch a few.
I do use weighted tube to pin the line down.
There is a good video on You tube which is quite refreshing.
I cant do links but its " The classic hair rig re visited and why its so effective" by Matthew Collins.

steve2

Reaction score
I seem to remember that at one time braid hook links were banned on some waters due to mouth damage to carp.
Not being a carp angler I assume they are now deemed ok for use.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes braid was deemed to cut through the mouths of Carp and frowned upon and banned by many clubs; however experienced Carp and Barbel anglers today often use a slightly thicker braid for their hooklinks which rarely if ever causes any damage at all to the rubbery lips of Carp or Barbel. I’ve never seen or caused any damage to a carp or barbels mouth by using ‘hook link’ Braid and although braid mainlines are still banned by most clubs (mainly because it very easily frays and breaks when snagged or is damaged); but braid hooklengths are deemed OK on most club waters today.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The makers of braid hooklinks KRYSTON went to some lengths to dispute the idea their products harm fish mouths. Some years ago they published quite a long article in explanation.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
All angling endangers the welfare of fish and other wildlife in some way. I understand why some clubs and lakes ban the use of leaders but usually this is to protect from the potential of absolute numpties abusing the rules or tying inappropriate rigs. A helicopter rig with a leader where the hooklink can ride up the leader and easily pass onto the mainline is a very safe rig if tied correctly. As already explained I think its worth getting experience using simple rigs, running rig e.g. and don't buy into the new skool approach of dropping pounds of lead into a pond because the tackle companies and Carp celebs do it on YouTube.

Regarding braided hooklinks I have seen definite mouth damage to carp attributed to braid. These were on a stock of estate lake Carp who fed exclusively on a silty lakebed. This meant the mouths and lips were not as robust as Carp that feed on gravel pits. On this lake I only used mono hooklinks or coated braid to ensure no mouth damage.