Is it just me cant catch a fish whilst lure fishing

Keith M

Reaction score
This trace wire looks good. It is so subtle that you don’t need any crimps and can just knot it like ordinary mono line.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
Keith, I use this stuff all the time for bait fishing. Its not always readily available however. I bought several reels from PEUCHER.COM a French firm before any import problems happen. It certainly is not cheap but despite what some people surmise it actually lasts much longer than wire trace.

Its not very good for lure fishing as it so soft it tangles easier than stiff trace.

They seem to have various types for sale and one must be careful to read the description as the type suitable for pike has wire woven in it but there is a variation that doesn't.
In fact FUTURE TACKLE at Newark had a recall on it as they mistakenly sold the type without metal woven through it. Whether that was a manufacturing error or an interpretation from French error I dont know.

The video is worth watching as one can interchange hooks etc just by looping another on at the waterside.

I have been using it when experimenting with single J hooks as well as circle hooks. Jury is out.

steve2

Reaction score
I think the best time for lure fishing is September to November. It gets a bit harder for the remainder of the winter, but predators are still catchable.

You can get some good advice by reading this:

There's also other articles about lure fishing on the site.
To me the best time for lure fishing is April to October while the water is still warm. After then I still catch but not so many. Who ever said pike are unfit in the summer hasn't caught them.

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
Wondertress is so expensive though!

I have never seen crimping or making up traces as much of a big deal. I make them up in advance and always have plenty of spare ones with me. I also make them up with a snap link on the business end, so changing lures is the work of five seconds - no tying involved.

If anyone has never had a shot at making their own traces I strongly recommend giving it a go.

Tree123

Reaction score
I thought it was something to the oxygen levels in the water.
Glad were on wire as I'm a big perch man and often live live baits and struggle to find decent wire

Last edited:

David Gane

Reaction score
I thought it was something to the oxygen levels in the water.
Hmm. A bit of a sensitive subject this!

Some say that because oxygen levels in water are lower during summer, catching and stressing them leads to lots of them dying after they are caught; maybe not at the time but shortly after as they are unable to recover adequately. Others say that is a load of huey and that nobody sees lots of dead pike floating belly-up in areas where people are pike fishing in the summer. People on both sides can get pretty shirty!

I personally find myself somewhere in the middle. I do lure fish in early summer (my favourite month is June), but I avoid late July and August and make sure that I treat fish with great care. I unhook in the water where possible and I am pretty good at swift, efficient unhooking. Fortunately you don't get many problems with deep hooking when catching on lures.

Tree123

Reaction score
I think its rubbish imo. And agree you would see a lot more belly up pike/many other speices if it was a massive issue.

steve2

Reaction score
Hmm. A bit of a sensitive subject this!

Some say that because oxygen levels in water are lower during summer, catching and stressing them leads to lots of them dying after they are caught; maybe not at the time but shortly after as they are unable to recover adequately. Others say that is a load of huey and that nobody sees lots of dead pike floating belly-up in areas where people are pike fishing in the summer. People on both sides can get pretty shirty!

I personally find myself somewhere in the middle. I do lure fish in early summer (my favourite month is June), but I avoid late July and August and make sure that I treat fish with great care. I unhook in the water where possible and I am pretty good at swift, efficient unhooking. Fortunately you don't get many problems with deep hooking when catching on lures.
I have said before I always find it strange that the out of date pike so called season is in their spawning season. There isn't really a pike close season just one that is lost in the mist of time. Even the PAC could not find an answer that one.

Tree123

Reaction score
I have said before I always find it strange that the out of date pike so called season is in their spawning season. There isn't really a pike close season just one that is lost in the mist of time. Even the PAC could not find an answer that one.

Ofc as there in the 1st fish to spawn. Maybe here why the weight are so high in winter.. full of spawn..

John Aston

Reaction score
It is an odd phenomenon, this 'pike season' thing. Until relatively recently , the idea of confining piking to the winter months was very old fashioned, the sort of thing you'd read about in pre war fishing books. But now it seems very much a thing , and espoused with Taleban levels of zeal by some of our more extreme pikers. It seems to be part of the same extremism which leads to some of the more unhinged carp guys demanding that lakes are closed when carp spawn (usually unsuccessfully )but are happy to fish through other species spawning season. Funny old business , fishing .

Pike fight far harder in summer than winter , it is true , but fishing sensibly I don't have any more issues with summer piking than fishing for pike full of spawn in early spring Personally , I find most pike fishing achingly tedious , and on the odd occasion now I actually fish for big pike it tends to be a winter thing purely because I've better things to do in summer . I deadbait - I don't like livebaiting but it's legal , so a personal choice . I prefer to lure fish when I can , for perch, chub and smaller pike , and typically I do that from late summer onwards. But it often takes a back seat to fly fishing until the trout season is over .

Tree123

Reaction score
Each to there on on the livebait thing.
.personally if it's a ethics thing. I dont the difference or hooking fish on for bait vs hooking one to catch it

Reaction score
There are some excellent posts here, with really good advice. One thing worth reiterating is the 'confidence' factor. When I was learning, in the early 90's, I was fortunate enough to fish with Dave Kelbrick and this was one aspect of his fishing which really set him apart as an exceptional talent. He would say that you have to try and believe that a fish is following your lure - all the time - and try and do things with it that will trigger the fish to strike. It can be difficult to keep doing this when you're not catching, but lapsing into mechanical ways of fishing where every cast and retrieve is broadly the same, really can be the kiss of death.

One other thing, and again I'm repeating a bit of what others have said, is that you cannot catch fish if they're not there. More often than not 'location' will be the biggest factor in determining success or failure. If you can put a lure in front of a fish there's every chance it will respond in some way. It might follow the lure out of curiosity; in which case you've certainly got something right. A change of shape, colour, speed or action will often tempt that fish into taking on the very next cast. If that doesn't work I sometimes leave the area for 10 or 15 minutes and then try again. Often that fish will still be there and might have 'forgotten' that it's already responded to your lure once. Again, the first cast will often result in a solid take.

Last thing; I would suggest keeping your lure sessions 'short but effective'. If you can concentrate and fish efficiently for a couple of hours before fatigue, boredom or a loss of confidence sets in, you're giving yourself a very good chance. I find that trying to keep going for several hours when it's not 'happening' doesn't make for enjoyable fishing. I'd rather go home, do something else and come back another day when conditions might be more favourable. Hope this helps a bit.

steve2

Reaction score
When I find I am going through the motions and not really fishing just casting and retrieving I always put the rod down and go for a walk or just sit and watch the water. Waiting for things to change, that could be light levels, wind direction just minor changes can make a difference to a days fishing.

Tree123

Reaction score
Well I'm had a good sort 5thought my bits and for terms simplify I'm just going to stick with

Ned rig set up on the ball jigs as everyone says it should work the same then getting specific "ned heads"

Spinner blades buying different jig head for different sizes shads seems a bit pricey and overly complicated

Dropshot

As these should cover all my bases for chasing/finding fish the to going down the finesse route to catch the shoal.

Tbh most of my session are pretty short. As I dont see the point in boring them out.
I'm hoping the river has dropped enough for me to try on sunday.

ian g

Reaction score
Good luck , I've had a couple of goes on my local canal which was quite coloured . I had one hit which I missed . I was encouraged yesterday as I went with my float tackle with maggots and worms and also failed miserably which is a rare occurrence , so a bit of cockeyed logic the fish just aren't feeding in the present conditions.

Tree123

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not hopeful with rain that we have had.. maybe lure fishing isn't the best idea..
Plus another temp drop. Well there has been where I am

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Winter is hard going on the lures, the biggest thing I had to change was my bait fishing mind that said cold=go smaller. Those lazy pike need something to encourage them to move in the cold, think big, think slow, think action. Perch elude me once it’s cold.

Tree123

Reaction score
Yeah everyone has said winter is a lot harder so maybe I'm starting at the wrong time of year. Might do try dropshot worms that way best of both worlds or go with maggots and

Last edited: