Is it the rod or the line that gives you fighting power?

valetudoguy

Reaction score
The big question is, has anyone here used one? I wonder how much they go for and if they come available often and how bad they were that they didn't catch on.

As for the Tricast I would imagine as it may or may not have been even a real trial that they would be less available than hens teeth

But also, in this modern world of Science fiction becoming reality Infront of our eyes, it wouldn't suppose me to see in my lifetime Nano Carbon fishing rods filled with some kind of electroactive polymer aero-gel that changes density on electrical impulse controlled by some kind of piezoelectric button.

Richox12

Reaction score
I think many confuse action & power when they are 2 different things. You can have same action but different power or same power but different actions. And all between.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
One thing many forget is one can put a lot more pressure on to a fish with a short through action rod, than a longer and stiffer rod ( ooer, missus!), simply because of the principle of levers. Think of the difference of how much weight you could hold using an outstretched arm compared to one bent at the elbow.
I keep meaning to actually do a test to determine the difference, maybe one day soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Im afraid Roger lots on here don't agree with you,thinking long rods offer more leverage,I for one am far happier with an 11ft through action barbel rod and wouldn't fish with longer unless bank condition force it upon me,simple as...float rods to me are better at 12-13ft lengths,so thats what I own,several of them,all the longer ones i've bought have been sold on...

Keith M

Reaction score
I think many confuse action & power when they are 2 different things. You can have same action but different power or same power but different actions. And all between.

The way I see it; both a tip actioned rod and a through actioned rod of the same test curve would still be able to exert the same amount of maximum power; although on a through actioned rod the power is applied a little more gradually than on a tip actioned rod, and can cushion the power a lot more causing less hook pulls and gives a little more control over a hard fighting fish.

But if I’m using a float rod I have to be able to pick up the line on the strike a lot faster; especially if the float has travellled downstream a bit; so it has to be a balance between both actions.
Legering is a different thing and a through actioned rod would normally be my choice if hook and hold tactics were not needed.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I believe the main thing is to know every part of how your setup (rod, line and reel) reacts to different circumstances then the actual playing of the fish is instinctive and no time is wasted for thought......obviously that only comes with experience and, as we all know, experience is unkind, it tends to give you the result first and the lesson afterwards......................

Richox12

Reaction score
The way I see it; both a tip actioned rod and a through actioned rod of the same test curve would still be able to exert the same amount of maximum power; although on a through actioned rod the power is applied a little more gradually than on a tip actioned rod, and can cushion the power a lot more causing less hook pulls and gives a little more control over a hard fighting fish.

But if I’m using a float rod I have to be able to pick up the line on the strike a lot faster; especially if the float has travellled downstream a bit; so it has to be a balance between both actions.
Legering is a different thing and a through actioned rod would normally be my choice if hook and hold tactics were not needed.

Keith

I know exactly where you're coming from.

But...... whereas a through actioned rod of 12oz test curve might apply pressure more gradually (as the tip might need to travel further to reach 12oz of force) the tip actioned rod might have much more power lower down (stiffer butt/middle) and so actually be a more powerful rod when the brakes are put on.

And a through actioned rod can often be too slow in action for many things in terms of tackle control etc.

There are so many possibilities.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Roger, i'm not being an argumentative scrote for the sake of it here bud, but I have tried using shorter 11ft avon rods for my trotting to see if I could lever the fish in any easier....I couldn't.

As daft as this sounds though, my one pound test curve 11ft avon rod which is rated to 12lb feels much more powerful when I put 8lb mono through it instead of my usual 6lb. As I say, it sounds daft I know, but it just does? Wierdly the rod doesn't seem to bend round as much with the 8lb line through it and using that line I can deffo put on more pressure.

Richox12

Reaction score
One thing many forget is one can put a lot more pressure on to a fish with a short through action rod, than a longer and stiffer rod ( ooer, missus!), simply because of the principle of levers. Think of the difference of how much weight you could hold using an outstretched arm compared to one bent at the elbow.
I keep meaning to actually do a test to determine the difference, maybe one day soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably because, assuming same power & actions and just length difference, the shorter rod locks up quicker as there is less of it to bend.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The big question is, has anyone here used one? I wonder how much they go for and if they come available often and how bad they were that they didn't catch on.

I have a fairly extensive selection of Aerocast Carp, Match (Original and later AX versions) and Feeder rods. I was using a 15' Aerocast Specimen match rod this evening to land my PB tench. They tend not to go for a great deal second hand, but I've not seen one offered for sale in quite some time. They were never bad rods, but they are a bit heavier than a similar standard rod. Unfortunately for Shimano, many just assumed that the oval blank was nothing more than a gimmick. No doubt there is an element of gimmick about it, but the concept is not without merit as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
I know exactly where you're coming from.

But...... whereas a through actioned rod of 12oz test curve might apply pressure more gradually (as the tip might need to travel further to reach 12oz of force) the tip actioned rod might have much more power lower down (stiffer butt/middle) and so actually be a more powerful rod when the brakes are put on.

And a through actioned rod can often be too slow in action for many things in terms of tackle control etc.

There are so many possibilities.

It's not necessarily whats more powerful,it's what is actually more effective playing a fish,often the very reason a match rod is good for big barbel when float fishing is because it hasn't the power,therefore the fighting fish doesn't pull back as hard,ok on a river in winter,but most rivers down here have copious weed during summer so float fishing for them can be very difficult...

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I have a fairly extensive selection of Aerocast Carp, Match (Original and later AX versions) and Feeder rods. I was using a 15' Aerocast Specimen match rod this evening to land my PB tench. They tend not to go for a great deal second hand, but I've not seen one offered for sale in quite some time. They were never bad rods, but they are a bit heavier than a similar standard rod. Unfortunately for Shimano, many just assumed that the oval blank was nothing more than a gimmick. No doubt there is an element of gimmick about it, but the concept is not without merit as far as I'm concerned.

I shall keep my eyes peeled for one

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think we’re pretty much agreed that action has a bigger part to play than test curve alone and the two do need to be considered hand in hand. But that is not to say that two progressive actioned 1.5lb rods will be as powerful as each other. Physical construction and tapers will determine that. Beyond action there are obviously other factors which play a part, such as blank diameter, wall thickness and material strengths. This is why there are always new rods available on the market each year. There are just so many permutations to arrive at the end result - a fishing rod.

Richox12

Reaction score
It's not necessarily whats more powerful,it's what is actually more effective playing a fish,often the very reason a match rod is good for big barbel when float fishing is because it hasn't the power,therefore the fighting fish doesn't pull back as hard,ok on a river in winter,but most rivers down here have copious weed during summer so float fishing for them can be very difficult...

Correct (same as heavy pole elastic). But you wouldn't then be comparing 2 very different rods of same test curve. A 'match' rod is likely to have a TC of just a few ounces. An Avon rod might well start at at least 1 1/4lb.