Is my tackle past it???

johnbaz

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just started fishing again after a twenty year layoff so almost all of my tackle is over twenty years old:eek: (apart from some that i've had to replace as my son misappropriated it:D )
My rods consist of just a Diawa whisker kevlar (13') and a sigma wand light tip rod (comes with three light tips in the butt), the rest have been given away to mates when their offspring have decided to take up the sport, a few poles were given away as i never really took to it...
My reels consist of a Mitchell match (440a) and four mitchell 300a's, somewhere i also have a Ryobi cf something or other, this was an ultra lightweight closed face carbon matchreel that didn't have a clutch, the bell inside was teflon coated which was totally rubbish, after i'd used it around ten times for trotting a stick down the river idle it wore a groove in the bell making it nigh on impossible to reel a fish of any size in- one of the biggest lemons that i've ever bought:mad:, i don't know whether it's languishing in one of the old boxes in the shed or whether it went in the bin all those years ago...

My box is an old fibreglass Lintek mod2 (very obscure!! and was second hand when i bought it:p ),it has the octoplus adjustable leg system fitted but all the locknuts have rusted, ten minutes with a wire brush and WD40 have all working fine now, it stinks of mould:eek: but it does the job i suppose...

Any views on my stuff??, should i be OK with it or would it be better to give it a decent send off to the tip???:p

Cheers, John:)

BTW, anyone know where i can buy the self adhesive foam strips with slots in for floats to hold in??, mine has perished to nothing and needs replacing..
I made the tackle box when i was bored so would like to re-furb it but none of the tackle shops near me seems to sell it:(

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
sigma wand light tip rod (comes with three light tips in the butt)
Cor! I had one of those, 9 or 10ft wasn't it? Nice rod and should still be OK today in certain situations.

Some people like Mitchells, I have just met a new member of our group that worships them and sells restored ones. I can't stand them, but it's personal choice.

You might fint that some of the tactics and methods nowadays demand different rods with far different qualities, such as method feeders and Pellet waggler rods, but I should start with what you have and see how your taste develops.

PM me your address and I can send you three 8" strips of foam. Don't know if they'll stick when you take the release paper off, but they have been kep in the dark so should be OK.

To PM me, click on my name and there are some options one of which is to send a Personal Message.

Reaction score
John, Woody and Paul are right...stick with what you have and build up from there. Some of my gear is 20 years old and I still use it at times ...

The sigma wand is a classic...and is still quite sought after..so I would keep hold of that.

As for the mitchell's .......well I know of one regular and successful contributor to this forum who, despite havng
shimanos and such, uses his Mitchell 300's for the vast bulk of his fishing.

Poshers

johnbaz

Reaction score
Cor! I had one of those, 9 or 10ft wasn't it? Nice rod and should still be OK today in certain situations.

Some people like Mitchells, I have just met a new member of our group that worships them and sells restored ones. I can't stand them, but it's personal choice.

You might fint that some of the tactics and methods nowadays demand different rods with far different qualities, such as method feeders and Pellet waggler rods, but I should start with what you have and see how your taste develops.

PM me your address and I can send you three 8" strips of foam. Don't know if they'll stick when you take the release paper off, but they have been kep in the dark so should be OK.

To PM me, click on my name and there are some options one of which is to send a Personal Message.

Hi Jeff

I PM'd you;)

I've always loved the mitchell reels from the first 324 that i bought out of me mums catalogue:eek: to the 440a, it's lovely just to dab the bail arm upon casting:cool:, they're just a tad heavy to hold all day whilst trotting (probably just my arthritis nagging at me:p )

The Wand is a smashing little rod and was perfect for the little River Rother foray yesterday, here's the catch that it partly accounted for..

There's Roach, Perch, Dace and gudgeon...

Sorry for the **** pic, a combination of low light and rubbish iphone:(
IMG_1395.jpg

Cheers, John

johnbaz

Reaction score
Thanks Paul (i don't know why fleabay never occured to me for the foam strips:confused::confused: )

I've found some and ordered it so it should be here in a couple of days so my floats won't be in a freezer bag in the bottom of the box getting squished:p

"John, Woody and Paul are right...stick with what you have and build up from there. Some of my gear is 20 years old and I still use it at times ...

The sigma wand is a classic...and is still quite sought after..so I would keep hold of that.

As for the mitchell's .......well I know of one regular and successful contributor to this forum who, despite havng
shimanos and such, uses his Mitchell 300's for the vast bulk of his fishing.

Poshers"

Thanks Paul, i didn't realise that the wand had a bit of a following but it's understandable as it's such a nice li'l rod to use!!

I'd be fishing again today but have a doctors appointment at 2pm, shame it wasn't midday like my physio yesterday:(

Oh well, mebbe tomozz:D

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Look at it this way. The fish haven't changed in 20 years, only the tackle. So if you caught using this gear then, it'll work now. Start using this and just buy new when you need to replace anything that isn't working anymore.
Tight lines

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Just use what you have till you find you need something different - unless you intend to take up carp fishing - then you need to buy a new set of 3 rods, 3 reels, rod pod, rucksack, bivvy , day shelter, bite alarm every 3 -6 months

Don't forget if you take up carp fishing you will need 3 rods of 2.5lb tc, 3 rods of 2.75lb tc ,3 rods of 3lb and 3 rod of 3.5lb tc to cover all fishing situations, 3 big pit reels, 3 small bait runner reels and 3 other reels to keep in your rucksack.
You will need a spod rod and a marker rod, a stalker rod, and a Ken Dodd rod.

All the above need to be replaced in the time frame already given

You will also need to buy 3 expensive syndicate water tickets and put your name on the waiting list of another 5

johnbaz

Reaction score
Just use what you have till you find you need something different - unless you intend to take up carp fishing - then you need to buy a new set of 3 rods, 3 reels, rod pod, rucksack, bivvy , day shelter, bite alarm every 3 -6 months

Don't forget if you take up carp fishing you will need 3 rods of 2.5lb tc, 3 rods of 2.75lb tc ,3 rods of 3lb and 3 rod of 3.5lb tc to cover all fishing situations, 3 big pit reels, 3 small bait runner reels and 3 other reels to keep in your rucksack.
You will need a spod rod and a marker rod, a stalker rod, and a Ken Dodd rod.

All the above need to be replaced in the time frame already given

You will also need to buy 3 expensive syndicate water tickets and put your name on the waiting list of another 5

Ha Ha!!

I'm not into Carp fishing for the very fact that i'd be scared to death of getting two fish on at the same time:eek:

I used to fish Aston ponds when my company had the fishing rights, i had a go for the carp but just with a single rod, the biggest i had was seventeen and a half pounds but got broke with some that went like steam trains:rolleyes:

Chers, John:)

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just started fishing again after a twenty year layoff so almost all of my tackle is over twenty years old:eek: (apart from some that i've had to replace as my son misappropriated it:D )
My rods consist of just a Diawa whisker kevlar (13') and a sigma wand light tip rod (comes with three light tips in the butt), the rest have been given away to mates when their offspring have decided to take up the sport, a few poles were given away as i never really took to it...
My reels consist of a Mitchell match (440a) and four mitchell 300a's, somewhere i also have a Ryobi cf something or other, this was an ultra lightweight closed face carbon matchreel that didn't have a clutch, the bell inside was teflon coated which was totally rubbish, after i'd used it around ten times for trotting a stick down the river idle it wore a groove in the bell making it nigh on impossible to reel a fish of any size in- one of the biggest lemons that i've ever bought:mad:, i don't know whether it's languishing in one of the old boxes in the shed or whether it went in the bin all those years ago...

My box is an old fibreglass Lintek mod2 (very obscure!! and was second hand when i bought it:p ),it has the octoplus adjustable leg system fitted but all the locknuts have rusted, ten minutes with a wire brush and WD40 have all working fine now, it stinks of mould:eek: but it does the job i suppose...

Any views on my stuff??, should i be OK with it or would it be better to give it a decent send off to the tip???:p

Two excellent rods there - as good if not better for their respective purposes than any you could buy today. You may find you'll need a more powerful float rod at some point, and a heavier feeder or avon type rod, but they won't be replacements for those you have, merely supplements to them.

The reels are all you'll ever need, whether you are light-line float fishing or casting a big feeder, spinning for perch or deadbaiting for pike. Your Ryobi CF1 (I remember them well - horrid things compared to the ABU 506) experience should teach you all you need to know about modern 'gadget' reels. Even the good ones tend to be replaced every five years or so, but Mitchells go on forever.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I understand those Daiwa Whisker rods are quite collectable and I've seen them fetch £40 or more regularly on eBay, sometimes a good deal more. This suggests to me that they are fondly remembered . I have an early carbon Daiwa rod, a GF65, and it's one of the best rods I have ever owned. The very latest £200 rods are a touch lighter, that's all.

The great thing about the Mitchell reels is that all the spares are still available and you can service them yourself, if you are so inclined, if not .. there's plenty of people who can do it for you.

kevin o connor

Reaction score
Stick with what you have, don't fall into the tackle dealers trap of telling you that you need all the latest gear. If you can catch fish with your old gear why would need new stuff ? Enjoy your angling.

irfonminnow

Reaction score
John,
Your old gear is junk, and cannot be used.
I'll take it off your hands for scrap if you like - no charge....................:D.

Seriously, it sounds like you have some good kit there. Clean and lube those Mitchells and off you go.

I see you have a mould problem in your box (you could take that the wrong way, but I'm trying to keep it clean here).
Milton sterilising tablets (the kind used used to sterilise babies bottles) will sort that out. One tablet in a gallon of water. Soak the mouldy bit and rinse off. Also works on rod-handles, fabric etc.

For cleaning up old reels I soak them in a 4-1 vinegar solution for 30 mins before re-lubing. (4 parts water to 1 vinegar). Rinse well in water and give them a squirt of WD40, dry well and re-lube. I'm currently using a gun lube called Tetra Gun Grease, but there are several good lubes available. If you go onto the Mitchell Museum website you'll find expanded drawings for your Mitchells (you'll probably find which bits to grease and which bits to oil too).
The advice on this thread has been spot-on BTW.

IM

Last edited:

barbelbuster

Reaction score
I still got a Benny Ashurst Trent rod that I bought in 1968, still give it the occasional airing. Hate to think how much it would cost today, seem to remember it was £17 10 shillings in 68 !

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
20 years old? If only I had tackle as new as that :)

(I do but still prefer the old stuff)

I'd bin those horrible reels though :wh

waggy

Reaction score
I only started back myself a couple of years ago after a 3 decade lay off and it's like I've never been away. I've tried sea fishing but it's not half as exciting as the magic of a rudd to 2 lbs, perch to 1 1/2, roach the same, bream to 4 lb, eel to c. 2lb and so on, and all except the carp, from non-commercial C&R fisheries.
As far as gear goes, my greatest pleasure has been making and using my own gear: from crow and gull feather floats, tying own hook lengths, making own ledger weights, etc. But by far my best effort is a scabby looking 9ft heavy spinning/light carp/ deadbait rod made from a butt section I picked up on Newboro' beach with a home made tip that I grew tomatoes on 2 years ago. I've had carp to 14 lb on it and it handles brilliantly. The only new bits were 5 rings. I now have a carp rod but Old Faithful comes out of the quiver first every time. Looks a bit daft with the Shimano 5000 bait-runner on it but I had too many problems with the cheap reels I started with.
Use and enjoy what you feel comfortable using. You'll know it's right when you reel in a good fish.

nick dv

Reaction score
I bought one of the Whisker Kevlar 13' rods - sliding reel fittings eh - when they first came out and I still use it today. I have only bought one other float rod since (Shim 14' F/action)! I too have owned the reels, all bought from mum's catalogue :rolleyes: just wish I never let them go though!

Cheers, Nick :)

A

alan whittington

Enjoy your angling,firstly,only change your tackle if you feel the need.I must say though ive just got hold of a daiwa exceler x 3000 and Fred,a mitchell limps along in comparison,ok if its the sentimental,historical side of the game your looking for fine,but not when it comes to sheer quality and performance.